Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash (Construction Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense, and seems like a relatively easy transition for them to make. Liking it! Excited for more updates on this ride as well.

I don't know... I'm less optimistic about this. I'm fine with the idea of a Illumination mini-land but i really like French Street and would prefer it to be left alone.

They can have Mulligan's cause honestly, that place now fits in as well as a gun in a toy chest. Besides that though? Leave my Parisian Courtyard alone!

Would guess this also means that the Grinchmas stuff will transition to the Illumination stuff, too, given the Plaza’s proximity to this area.

No idea what it means for the French side, though. Just make the whole thing DM related? I do like the idea overall.

Would guess this also means that the Grinchmas stuff will transition to the Illumination stuff, too, given the Plaza’s proximity to this area.

No idea what it means for the French side, though. Just make the whole thing DM related? I do like the idea overall.

Considering just how beautiful the Christmas decorations are already for Despicable Me, thinking what they could potentially do for the Pets facades and whatever goes down in Illumination@USH, makes me kind of giddy.

Errr...I mean I don't mind them retheming the area's they already have for rides...but don't want more rides based off this third ate studios (I'm sorry they are behind Disney, Pixar, Dream works and hell even Sony Animation(sometimes) to me) They made one good film Despicable Me then its been all meh. So I hate seeing cool area's go away for more genetic area's based off movies no one will be talking about in 20 years.
To me SLOP is already a head scratcher if they really think it has staying power over say a Dream works film.

Also I know you can make good attractions based of meh films (the Transformers ride comes to mind) but rather them focus on better Ip's as rides over crap if they have the option,

Errr...I mean I don't mind them retheming the area's they already have for rides...but don't want more rides based off this third ate studios (I'm sorry they are behind Disney, Pixar, Dream works and hell even Sony Animation(sometimes) to me) They made one good film Despicable Me then its been all meh. So I hate seeing cool area's go away for more genetic area's based off movies no one will be talking about in 20 years.
To me SLOP is already a head scratcher if they really think it has staying power over say a Dream works film.

Also I know you can make good attractions based of meh films (the Transformers ride comes to mind) but rather them focus on better Ip's as rides over crap if they have the option,

A Terrible IP =/= a terrible ride opportunity. Look to Splash Mountain and Waterworld for that aspect..

Also, they were developing Pets before the DWA merger even got finalized, and have been developing massive projects with DWA for the other parks; like Beijing and Orlando.

__

To bring up Pets, the walls got pushed back closer to the showbuilding!

From Kris,

There's a bit of negativity going on today on the USH side of the forums. Some of you guys need to get laid. Like now. Pay for it if you have to. ;)

If the ride turns out to be a fun, family dark ride that's not a simulator (which USH needs badly), no one will care what IP is attached.

Backs to SLOP. The façade is coming along nicely. Can't wait for the scaffolding to come down.

Last edited:
A Terrible IP =/= a terrible ride opportunity. Look to Splash Mountain and Waterworld for that aspect..

Also, they were developing Pets before the DWA merger even got finalized, and have been developing massive projects with DWA for the other parks; like Beijing and Orlando.

__

To bring up Pets, the walls got pushed back closer to the showbuilding!

From Kris,

I already covered my self with saying doesn't mean a bad ride...but rather with IPs like Nintendo and Potter and even Dream works rather see those get the spotlight a thousand times over.
The ride system could have easily worked on other IP's and think like Despicable Me will get ok lines but could have gotten Mega lines with something from Nintendo.

I'm also thinking 20 years in the future, this ride is going to feel so 2010's.....while they have other timeless attractions. Hell thinking about it while it has no movies coming out a Back to the Future Trackless ride would have even I think gotten bigger lines and could sell just as much stuff in the shops. And of course if they used Pokemon it would have destroyed any movie IP they own

There's a bit of negativity going on today on the USH side of the forums. Some of you guys need to get laid. Like now. Pay for it if you have to.

If the ride turns out to be a fun, family dark ride that's not a simulator (which USH needs badly), no one will care what IP is attached.

Backs to SLOP. The façade is coming along nicely. Can't wait for the scaffolding to come down.

Just because some of use have better Idea's and want the limited space in parks to be 100 Percent utilized has nothing to do with getting laid. They partnered with Big IPs and then choose to just make a SLOP ride that no one will know what film that is in 5 years....to be like "hey why are some people not in love with this" to be is just you being fine with what ever the hell Universal does which then I question why do you care I or anyone else wants more? You obviously don't care what goes in the space

Just because some of use have better Idea's and want the limited space in parks to be 100 Percent utilized has nothing to do with getting laid. They partnered with Big IPs and then choose to just make a SLOP ride that no one will know what film that is in 5 years....to be like "hey why are some people not in love with this" to be is just you being fine with what ever the hell Universal does which then I question why do you care I or anyone else wants more? You obviously don't care what goes in the space

Haha... Relax... It was a joke. I guess I should've put a ;) after. Sorry if it came off wrong.

How do you know that no one will know what film that is in 5 years? What if the ride is so popular that no one cares what film it's based off of. I do care and I'm fine with the choice they made so far. Emphasis on "so far." Maybe my opinion will change after experiencing the ride.

I already covered my self with saying doesn't mean a bad ride...but rather with IPs like Nintendo and Potter and even Dream works rather see those get the spotlight a thousand times over.
The ride system could have easily worked on other IP's and think like Despicable Me will get ok lines but could have gotten Mega lines with something from Nintendo.

I'm also thinking 20 years in the future, this ride is going to feel so 2010's.....while they have other timeless attractions. Hell thinking about it while it has no movies coming out a Back to the Future Trackless ride would have even I think gotten bigger lines and could sell just as much stuff in the shops. And of course if they used Pokemon it would have destroyed any movie IP they own

To say that we don't care what goes where, is shallow.

It does not matter how the IP fits in relevancy to now, as all it needs is for the attraction to be something that can be timeless regardless of whether or not you've seen the material before-hand. It's the reason to why Splash Mountain (which was using animated characters used in a controversial film) and Waterworld (an attraction developed alongside one of the biggest failures in the 90's box office history) work so well, because you don't need to see what they're based on to understand the value that they both offer.

Now, if Pets isn't great and follows the traps that Supercharged does, then sure, I'll eat crow. But with this seemingly from the Hollywood UC team (the same group responsible for JW Hollywood), I'm not inclined to easily believe it will be a failure.

And even then, as @Stryker points out; there is legitimately no telling to what people will like in 5 years. Five years from now doesn't seem like a long time, but it genuinely is for how people perceive things. And if the ride is going to be a hit, then it does not matter what the source material is. Especially as UC had planned something unique with Pets, since it began it's development as an attraction.

To say that we don't care what goes where, is shallow.

It does not matter how the IP fits in relevancy to now, as all it needs is for the attraction to be something that can be timeless regardless of whether or not you've seen the material before-hand. It's the reason to why Splash Mountain (which was using animated characters used in a controversial film) and Waterworld (an attraction developed alongside one of the biggest failures in the 90's box office history) work so well, because you don't need to see what they're based on to understand the value that they both offer.

Now, if Pets isn't great and follows the traps that Supercharged does, then sure, I'll eat crow. But with this seemingly from the Hollywood UC team (the same group responsible for JW Hollywood), I'm not inclined to easily believe it will be a failure.

And even then, as @Stryker points out; there is legitimately no telling to what people will like in 5 years. Five years from now doesn't seem like a long time, but it genuinely is for how people perceive things. And if the ride is going to be a hit, then it does not matter what the source material is. Especially as UC had planned something unique with Pets, since it began it's development as an attraction.

I'd have to agree with Alexander here. Personally, i approve of to see Illumination's current presence in the park. I like the original Despicable Me and well i have not seen the original SLOP or it's sequel, i can appreciate the franchise and it's cuteness/charm on a surface level which i think will make for a fun family ride.

However, as for the future of Illumination land, this is where i'd have to agree with Jerrod. The rest of Illumination's films are, pardon my french, fresh piles of s**t. SING has as much heart and charm as a rotting corpse, the Dr. Seuss films are tacky and disrepectful to the source material. If they are going to expand, at least produce some quality films to adapt first.

And yes, i'm aware that terrible/unknown films can make excellent attractions and well i'm fine with Disney/Universal taking risks in Orlando, where they have plenty of room to breath, i get a lot more nervous when it's a SoCal park.

I'd rather have a film/franchise represented that is beloved and charming or timeless then gamble on a terrible story on the potential chance it could become something special. Then again, that's just my opinion in California. For Orlando? As long as it's not replacing anything of quality, go wild!

You know the sad part is people talk about IP like box office is all that matters lol...

Radiator Springs Racers is a ride that has continuously gotten the highest wait times since it opened yet the box office seemed mediocre with the sequels and yet....

merchandise and this ride can do that in droves considering the premise plus as many have stated its a perfectly fine dark ride that USH needs

Last edited:
You know the sad part is people talk about IP like box office is all that matters lol...

Radiator Springs Racers is a ride that has continuously gotten the highest wait times since it opened yet the box office seemed mediocre with the sequels and yet....

merchandise and this ride can do that in droves considering the premise plus as many have stated its a perfect fine dark ride that USH needs

Good point. Box Office does play an aspect in which IPs receive presence in the parks but it isn't the only aspect. The IP's popularity and impact, it's merchandising potential and ability to translate well into a ride can all play a part into which stories are brought into the theme park world.

Status
Not open for further replies.