Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash (Construction Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^This 100%. I think a studio facade is akin to Disney's "Go Away Green". Isn't there still a studio facade on the right side of New York Street? Yet we're not complaining about that one.

And I know some have been irked that we keep returning/comparing to Disney on this matter, but that's because Disney is held as the gold standard of immersive theming. And even they have lapses now and then.
I can’t speak for others, but I’ve called out Disney extensively throughout this discussion. The go away green/blue is also an issue in my book. Just take Soarin for example.

Epcot:
upload_2019-12-26_14-21-21.jpeg

TDS:
upload_2019-12-26_14-23-4.jpeg

There’s an obvious quality difference there and you can tell who actually tried and who phoned it in.

I think this is akin to the "donkey's left eye" argument. There's a story where you'll be given a million dollars as long as you never think about a donkey's left eye. It's certainly something you'd never give a moment's thought to before, but the second it's brought to your attention, its all you can think about.

I've been to Epcot many times over the years, and I've never once noticed the Soarin building like that. Now that you've shown me that pic, I'll probably notice it now, sure. But prior, it's totally escaped me. Probably because the go away blue/green did its job, and I choose to focus elsewhere.

These designers sometimes make deliberate choices to draw you eye to certain areas. I know it's been suggested that the unfinished/studio sides of SLOP be outfitted with at least brickwork, but if they did, I think it could possibly distract the eye to it, rather than to the facade right in front of you.

In the Soarin example you give, I wonder what you'd suggest they do with it. If you did say make it a building or mountain, I'd argue that it would draw the eye from the other building already there, which is where they want the attention.

Take a look at this pic of TDS.

lines+and+order+at+tokyo+disney+resort.jpg

The giant speakers on the poles dominate the picture. They're not themed at all, and totally stand out. There are ways to hide speakers. Why didn't they? Do you notice them more now that they've been brought to your attention?

Point is, if you look hard enough, nothing is themed 100%. Theme park designers are interested in illusion and drawing focus. It's not about theming every square inch, it's about theming every square inch that matters.

I think this is akin to the "donkey's left eye" argument. There's a story where you'll be given a million dollars as long as you never think about a donkey's left eye. It's certainly something you'd never give a moment's thought to before, but the second it's brought to your attention, its all you can think about.

I've been to Epcot many times over the years, and I've never once noticed the Soarin building like that. Now that you've shown me that pic, I'll probably notice it now, sure. But prior, it's totally escaped me. Probably because the go away blue/green did its job, and I choose to focus elsewhere.

These designers sometimes make deliberate choices to draw you eye to certain areas. I know it's been suggested that the unfinished/studio sides of SLOP be outfitted with at least brickwork, but if they did, I think it could possibly distract the eye to it, rather than to the facade right in front of you.

In the Soarin example you give, I wonder what you'd suggest they do with it. If you did say make it a building or mountain, I'd argue that it would draw the eye from the other building already there, which is where they want the attention.

The giant speakers on the poles dominate the picture. They're not themed at all, and totally stand out. There are ways to hide speakers. Why didn't they? Do you notice them more now that they've been brought to your attention?

Point is, if you look hard enough, nothing is themed 100%. Theme park designers are interested in illusion and drawing focus. It's not about theming every square inch, it's about theming every square inch that matters.
good points....Myself, I never noticed the FJ show building in Orlando until people on this site, and Disney sites, started talking about it. Personally, it doesn't bother me one bit.

Those speakers in the TDS pic are retractable to limit visual intrusion. Pic was just taken at a time when they were out.

And yes, they could’ve used the Epcot Soarin building to increase the depth and beauty of the Canada Pavilion. You can’t see the show building from future world anyway.

Those speakers in the TDS pic are retractable to limit visual intrusion. Pic was just taken at a time when they were out.

And yes, they could’ve used the Epcot Soarin building to increase the depth and beauty of the Canada Pavilion. You can’t see the show building from future world anyway.

They should recreate the Vancouver mountain range behind Canada! Put the two lions peaks, and grouse. Would be so fun.

I guess I am more fine with the UH SLoP building now that I remember it is still a studio park... but I’d prefer a fully fleshed out facade. I prefer the approach of putting me into the movies, versus knowing it’s all fake.

Once people start posting pics of TDS you know this discussion is going nowhere.
It was to prove a point of what it looks like when you take a ride building and go all the way on the theming versus just painting it like the Epcot version of the same ride has.

I agree though, this seems to be one of those things that people either do or don’t care about with little in between and we’re going off-topic too much with the discussion.

USH is getting a very immersive family dark ride that the park has needed since it became a park.
Absolutely. No one was ever saying anything about the ride though. It was a rather trivial/theme park nerdy conversation about show buildings.

This should be a great addition to the park.

Once people start posting pics of TDS you know this discussion is going nowhere. USH is getting a very immersive family dark ride that the park has needed since it became a park.

I didn't realize TDS has become the equivalent to Godwin's Law. :grin: But fair enough, I think we all need to agree to disagree here.

Until Oriental land company buys the Universal Parks or Disney Parks, the “theme” folks are going to be let down.

OLC is the best in that regard. No question. It’s always odd to me that people expect Disney or Universal to achieve those standards. Do we wish they would? Of course. But they won’t, because they aren’t OLC.

So wanting something that isn’t in their DNA is pretty frivolous.

Until Oriental land company buys the Universal Parks or Disney Parks, the “theme” folks are going to be let down.

OLC is the best in that regard. No question. It’s always odd to me that people expect Disney or Universal to achieve those standards. Do we wish they would? Of course. But they won’t, because they aren’t OLC.

So wanting something that isn’t in their DNA is pretty frivolous.
See, now I wish I hadn’t done a TDL example bc there’s plenty of domestic examples at both Universal and Disney of theming show buildings backstage (F&F being one as I already pointed out and Main Street Bypass).

Not everything will be on OLC’s level and I was never trying to give off that impression that it should. Just that we should expect more than Grey/Green/Blue walls.

Not everything will be on OLC’s level and I was never trying to give off that impression that it should. Just that we should expect more than Grey/Green/Blue walls.

And that’s where you and I are at a disconnect.

I wish for more. But I certainly don’t expect more. Not given either of their track records. Your F&F example surpassed my expectations.

Desire and expectations should be at conflict when we’re speaking of Universal and (to only a slightly lesser extent) Disney.
If you can adjust your expectations, you’ll be disappointed a lot less. :toast:

I know it has been pointed out, but ALL the speakers retract and are hidden outside of showtime. TDS is the benchmark obviously for seeing things through the entire way.

I'd argue they are capable and going the extra mile to theme every square inch can make the difference between great and fantastic.

Naturally they did not in this instance and that's fine. It's their MO and a Studio park. But, I'm hopeful the new park focuses more on the less significant corners.

Last edited:
Additionally, if you want a more blatent example of where they don't shy away from showing the building, may I remind people of Osaka's Hogwarts?

UC has done this multiple times in the past. Whether it'd be from Potter, Pets, Fallon, or even Kong to some extent; they've always had habits of showing the gritty with the buildings. Additionally, Volcano Bay comes to mind.

It's not something that Universal has tried to back away from. And you'll be seeing it in other projects, especially when it comes down to Beijing.

No, the picture you showed was Hollywood. But, it was early on in when Hogsmeade opened, and when the trees hadn't grown in as much as they do now. Additionally, as I had stated; they have seemingly touched up more on the showbuilding.

Personally this is my favorite view.

photo-1571918372905-b98f68fe214a

Hogwarts Castle and the black lake flanked by two Costco warehouses.

Or course not... but let's be real, if they just did a brick wall, just as many people would be calling that lazy.

I don't there's really that much point in theming things that are largely out of guest's view from inside the park. Did anyone complain that the back side of FJ is totally unthemed, yet, clearly in full view of the Studio Tour Tram?

Even Disney never really themed the back side of Indy, and that's visible from the esplanade.

I don't think anyone is asking for them to theme backstage areas, or even buildings in view from out of the park (and btw the Indy show box does have a faux jungle tree trim and shapes to somewhat make it less noticeable). But again I don't think that's the point or what anyone here is asking for or expecting, that would be a waste of money thats served better elsewhere. The issue with SLOP is that the facade abruptly ends and the plain building actually sticks out further where it ends, but most importantly the blank wall will be completely visible from the entrance to the ride. A brick like finish would absolutely rectify it IMO, or you could always have the facade jet out from the wall and act as a visual buffer from the blank walls behind it.

Indy backstage as scene from the esplanade (well from a much higher angle but you get the point)
Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 12.18.30 AM.png

This is not the same ride that you saw in the past. Smaller building, different ride system (reportedly just a busbar now), different story, and probably lesser effects.

Well that sucks.

Noticed the name was wrong, should have read more

Status
Not open for further replies.