Secret Weapon 7 at Alton Towers 2013 | Inside Universal Forums

Secret Weapon 7 at Alton Towers 2013

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 27, 2010
Oviedo, FL
From TowerTimes:

Ian Crabbe, Divisional Director of Alton Towers Resort, today revealed the scale of the plans for the new rollercoaster development, set to open for the 2013 theme park season.

Expected to be the next rollercoaster in the Secret Weapon line-up, following Nemesis (1994), Oblivion (1998), Air (2002) and Th13teen (2010), the ride has now been confirmed as a 'world first' and 'more expensive than Th13teen' - meaning that the price is above £15million. The pricetag for the LC12 development at THORPE PARK in 2012 is around £18million, so we may see a similar price here.

The plans are currently top secret and it is thought that John Wardley is working on the ride in an advisory role, however little is known at this time in terms of factual evidence. It is expected that the ride, unlike Th13teen, will have a 1.4metre height restriction (similar to Nemesis, Air, Oblivion and Rita) and a thrill focus.

The location of the new attraction could be one of several: key locations are thought to be Coaster Corner (behind Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and the car park behind Air. The manufacturer of the ride is unknown at this time, although Merlin are installing three Bolliger and Mabillard rollercoasters at Gardaland, Heide Park and THORPE PARK in the next two years.

You can read the original news article on the Sentinel website, or discuss the development on our forums.

http://old.towerstimes.co.uk/news/n...&id=1301343538&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1,8&

I sense another B&M Wingrider in the making.

From Screamscape:

2013 - SW7 - In Development - (9/28/11) Sources tell me that Alton Towers has signed a deal to bring a new B&M coaster to the park in the near future, which I can only assume will be the previously rumored SW7 project.

B&M - (9/28/11) Screamscape sources tell us that in the next season or two we can expect to see B&M premier an all new launched coaster ride system, as their next new coaster concept. Beyond this, I’m told that B&M would like to launch a 4D coaster concept, likely based on the new Wing Coaster technology, but this ride system is still several years away from becoming a reality. For now B&M have their hands full developing the new Wing Coaster system and getting their Launched coaster line off the ground.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/alton_towers.htm

http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#BM

I hope this isn't hyped up as much as Th13teen. I've never been to Alton Towers (or Thorpe Park, but I don't think that's very relevant) but I followed Th13teen for a while. I mean, the whole "insanely scary" "you have to be 18 years old to ride" thing was way too much for a ride that's - what is it, 40 feet tall? - and has minimal theming outside of the queue building. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a lot of fun (especially the vertical drop) but there's a difference between hyping and lying :shrug:

Anyways, so, yeah. B&M. :lol:

From Screamscape:

2013 - SW7 - In Development - (10/5/11) Given that B&M is said to be in line for Alton’s SW7 coaster, which is also supposed to be a new “World’s First”, it stands to reason that SW7 may very well be the first coaster to feature B&M’s new launch system that they’ve been working on. While it may seem a little odd to put another launched coaster in Alton, since they already have Rita, keep in mind that this will allow the ride to have speed without the need of a lift hill… and all those height limitations Alton Tower’s has to deal with. Unlike Rita, I’d expect to see something with a good number of inversions as well.

314866_10150412548656201_21765316200_10531357_1304711144_n.jpg

Sneak Peek

This is what is currently blocking the construction area.

I was at Alton Towers yesterday and...

SW7 is being built in the exact same location as the long abandoned Black Hole (X-Sector I believe the area is still called, near Oblivion).

Sadly there was nothing visable from the paths as the site it self is actually quite low down compared to its surroundings.

Have to agree about the Thirteen comments, I rode it again last year and the total lack of story and theming lets it down not to mention the surprise being lacking.

The Nemsis Sub Terror is also pretty poor, its a hybrid between the Lilo and Stitch "alien escape" from Disney with a brief walk through live actor sequence.

I really wish Alton would get onboard with the American way of doing a theme park ride, the closest it got to doing it correct was Hex...if only that was a better ride.

I'll do a basic summary of what is known about the coaster so far, and a little construction update. After all, everyone loves a good old dirt mound on construction sites right?

sw7planoverview.png

side-elevation.png

sw74.png

sw73.png

The ride is set to interact with several theming elements, including this giant spider:

sw75-300x187.png

headchop-1.png

And here's how the construction site currently looks:

A0AfKtBCMAITSrc.jpg:large

Oh and of course, a No Limits recreation of what to expect in 2013:

[video=youtube;liu91c_r9dU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liu91c_r9dU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

SW7s secret weapon has been revealed, several sources have come up with the same rumour and it seems very likely to be bang on the money.

All credit goes to the guys at http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw7/secret-element/. The construction forum is worth a read too.

I wont post here as dont want to spoil for any one but the above link will take you direct to the secret. Sounds like being a fun element to what looks like being a great coaster, roll on opening day.

Last edited: