Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Sesame Place San Diego Announced for 2021

GAcoaster

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2012
Orlando
SeaWorld Entertainment And Sesame Workshop Announce Location Of New Sesame Place Theme Park

PR Newswire•October 21, 2019

San Diego will be home to the second Sesame Place, opening in spring 2021"

ORLANDO, Fla. and NEW YORK, Oct. 21, 2019 /PRNewswire/ SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc., a leading theme park and entertainment company, and Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street®, today revealed the location of a new Sesame Place® theme park, the second Sesame Place® in the United States. The new park will open in San Diego in spring 2021 and will be the first Sesame Place on the West Coast.

SeaWorld_Entertainment_And_Sesame_Workshop-9021adcb3c8b62bfec29b9aa5886adc3

SeaWorld Entertainment and Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street®, revealed that San Diego will be the location of a new Sesame Place® theme park. Sesame Place San Diego, only the second Sesame Place® in the United States, will be the first Sesame Place on the West Coast and will open in spring 2021.
Sesame Street's 50th anniversary, we are excited to share the news of a major opportunity for kids and families to connect with and learn from the brand and its beloved characters," said Steve Youngwood, President, Media & Education and Chief Operating Officer, Sesame Workshop. "The opening of Sesame Place San Diego will give guests a unique and powerful way to experience Sesame Street, enable us to connect with even more families, and further our educational mission."" style="margin-bottom: 1em;">"As we celebrate Sesame Street's 50th anniversary, we are excited to share the news of a major opportunity for kids and families to connect with and learn from the brand and its beloved characters," said Steve Youngwood, President, Media & Education and Chief Operating Officer, Sesame Workshop. "The opening of Sesame Place San Diego will give guests a unique and powerful way to experience Sesame Street, enable us to connect with even more families, and further our educational mission."

Sesame Street in a highly immersive way, with exciting family rides, water slides, live character shows, parades and interactive experiences that will extend the laughter and learning of Sesame Street. The original Sesame Place, currently the only U.S. theme park based entirely on the iconic children's program, opened outside Philadelphia in July 1980 and has been a premier destination for families countrywide for nearly 40 years.  " style="margin-bottom: 1em;">Sesame Place San Diego will feature all the fun, laughter, and learning of Sesame Street in a highly immersive way, with exciting family rides, water slides, live character shows, parades and interactive experiences that will extend the laughter and learning of Sesame Street. The original Sesame Place, currently the only U.S. theme park based entirely on the iconic children's program, opened outside Philadelphia in July 1980 and has been a premier destination for families countrywide for nearly 40 years.

Marc Swanson, Interim Chief Executive Officer, SeaWorld Entertainment. "We are thrilled to be able to grow the presence of Sesame Place theme parks in the United States, and San Diego is the perfect complement to our Philadelphia location."" style="margin-bottom: 1em;">"We share Sesame Workshop's goal of educating and entertaining generations of children, and the opening of a second park, the only one of its kind on the West Coast, furthers our company mission to provide guests with extraordinary experiences," said Marc Swanson, Interim Chief Executive Officer, SeaWorld Entertainment. "We are thrilled to be able to grow the presence of Sesame Place theme parks in the United States, and San Diego is the perfect complement to our Philadelphia location."

Philadelphia sister park, which was the first theme park in the world to achieve this designation. Staff-wide autism sensitivity and awareness training will be completed prior to the park's debut, and robust pre-visit planning resources, including a park-specific sensory guide will be featured on its website, making it easier for parents to plan activities that satisfy their child's specific needs and accommodations. Designated quiet spaces with adjustable lighting and comfortable seating will be incorporated into the park's design." style="margin-bottom: 1em;">Sesame Place San Diego will open as a Certified Autism Center (CAC), mirroring its Philadelphia sister park, which was the first theme park in the world to achieve this designation. Staff-wide autism sensitivity and awareness training will be completed prior to the park's debut, and robust pre-visit planning resources, including a park-specific sensory guide will be featured on its website, making it easier for parents to plan activities that satisfy their child's specific needs and accommodations. Designated quiet spaces with adjustable lighting and comfortable seating will be incorporated into the park's design.

"We are proud to be opening this new park as a Certified Autism Center and are committed in our efforts to offer families inclusive activities for children with autism and other special abilities," added Swanson. "Providing fun and memorable experiences through exceptional service is a part of that."

Sesame Place San Diego will be located on the site of the current Aquatica San Diego, extending SeaWorld's commitment to not only the local community but also establishing this new park as a premier tourist destination in the western United States

Last edited:
So they chose San Diego over Williamsburg.

Honestly? This is a great choice, especially with the clientele that's in the SoCal market. I can easily see this actually being a good success for SeaWorld, and it should finally give a light for the San Diego waterpark.

Hoping they put in a GG coaster like Oscars Wacky taxi but from the concept art it looks like a no.

EDIT: I've lived in Southern California all my life and honestly this is the first time I've heard of the Aquatica water park in San Diego. Why? because it is in Chula Vista which is practically Tijuana. Not sure if this is gong to be as big as people hope due to the location. The parks are 20 miles apart. Anyway sure it's an upgrade but Lego Land is not much further away and probably has better value.

Last edited:
So they chose San Diego over Williamsburg.

Honestly? This is a great choice, especially with the clientele that's in the SoCal market. I can easily see this actually being a good success for SeaWorld, and it should finally give a light for the San Diego waterpark.
They already have a Sesame Street land in BGW, and a nearby water park, so I can see the business logic. That would just pull some business away from those two.

They already have a Sesame Street land in BGW, and a nearby water park, so I can see the business logic.
SWSD also has a psuedo land to it's own as-well, but the Williamsburg SP project would've been more of an expansion than anything considering it was to of been placed on the expansion plot right next to BGW's park entrance.

EDIT: I've lived in Southern California all my life and honestly this is the first time I've heard of the Aquatica water park in San Diego. Why? because it is in Chula Vista which is practically Tijuana. Not sure if this is gong to be as big as people hope due to the location. The parks are 20 miles apart. Anyway sure it's an upgrade but Lego Land is not much further away and probably has better value.

Personally, I think there's going to be value; as it's not exactly just a waterpark anymore for the sake of the project, considering the flats and the Grover coaster (on-top of the entertainment options being added).

Hoping they put in a GG coaster like Oscars Wacky taxi but from the concept art it looks like a no.

I've never been to Aquatica, but I do remember when it was Knott's Soak City USA. I have to agree. This location is so far south since you're just a few miles from the border. This looks like just an entire retheme of the water park with a small corner set aside for a new mini land. Still mostly a water park.

This may be a great start though and maybe they'll expand in the future to have a full dry park.

Aquatica was actually one of the nicest water parks in SoCal and was one of the best things SeaWorld SD did this decade, so i'm shook it's already being rebranded. But with an IP like that and the fact that SD is a VERY family oriented market dominated by people who drive up to Disney and Legoland... this choice makes a lot of sense.

Very interesting to see SEAS retheme a property less than ten years after purchasing the park. Smart move as there's an extremely negative view on the brand in California and this has a significantly larger tourism market than Williamsburg. If this proves successful I think it's fair to say this may spread to other seas parks like Williamsburg and San Antonio.

From the sound of it, it's really just removing one attraction/slide and adding some Sesame themed rides and attractions. With the success of Sesame Street Land in Orlando, it sounds like this will be a similar addition, keeping people who came for the waterpark happy, but adding more for the kids and a reason to go for many who never would have gone before.

I used to live and work near Sesame Place in PA, and that place packs them in all summer long. Parents love it for the younger kids, and it offers a lot of things for families to do together. This should do well.

EDIT:
Does anyone know if they own any of the adjoining land?

Google Maps

I was kind of surprised if they own any of that that they hadn't expanded the park.

Sesame Place is a small, very landlocked park, and I always got the impression they would expand if they had more space. As it is they took over a parking lot to build the new coaster:

Google Maps

Last edited:
EDIT:
Does anyone know if they own any of the adjoining land?

Google Maps

I was kind of surprised if they own any of that that they hadn't expanded the park.

Sesame Place is a small, very landlocked park, and I always got the impression they would expand if they had more space. As it is they took over a parking lot to build the new coaster:

Google Maps

I think Trumps wall might be going through there! :bolt: