Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shamu's Celebration - Light Up The Night

May 29, 2010
Scotland
Sea world debuted their summertime evening killer whale show this evening. Replacing Shamu Rocks, Shamu's Celebration - Light Up The Night runs nightly until Sunday 10th August.

The premise is the same; an after dark, colourful, rockin' Shamu show with whale interactions and stunts and finished off with fireworks. It's certainly a crowd pleaser with a packed stadium really getting into the show. The show is 'compare'd' by a 'DJ' in an elevated booth to the left of the seating area, and although he has the lines, I felt it was a bit cheesy as there's no way he's actually 'spinning the discs'.

The rock tracks from Shamu Rocks have all gone. Replaced with B-cover versions of less known tunes by unknown artists. :down: The shows saving grace is the two new tracks commissioned for the show. The titular track 'Light Up The Night' and the title of the other one escapes me but it's played out over the splash section, which of course, the crowd lapped up.

The finale is spectacular with a mesh of whale jumps and stunts, rousing music and fireworks. Despite this, we left the stadium and both immediately said "oh well, that wasn't as good as Shamu Rocks".

It's a real shame because that's the one show that Seaworld has which didn't require updating or changing. I know the fall-out over Blackfish led to some artists refusing to allow their songs played within the park, but they could have simply 'refreshed' the show and we'd have been much happier.

But just as we all read a different book and watch a different movie, we all see a different show. So, if you're planning on a trip to Seaworld this summer, I'd still recommend you stay for this show.

Sorry, I don't have any pics to share. On vacation and only have an ipad.

I'm disappointed that they haven't learned there lesson. Even though they were right on many accounts, all this is going to do is make people angry. Why continue to do the thing that has brought tons of harm to your company? It's just insulting at this point and shows that seaworld just doesn't care

I'm disappointed that they haven't learned there lesson. Even though they were right on many accounts, all this is going to do is make people angry. Why continue to do the thing that has brought tons of harm to your company? It's just insulting at this point and shows that seaworld just doesn't care
What would you suggest they do instead, cancel the Shamu show entirely? That would tick off even more folks..The best thing Sea could do right now is ignore Blackfish and move on...then open a hyper coaster haha

What would you suggest they do instead, cancel the Shamu show entirely? That would tick off even more folks..The best thing Sea could do right now is ignore Blackfish and move on...then open a hyper coaster haha

I think they did it too soon, if they did the whole "meet shamu in a peaceful environment" thing they've done recently for a couple more years then nobody would have a problem. The fact is they haven't ignored blackfish and faced the problem head on so they're kinda trapped in the corner here. Blackfish is a super size me situation where you can either change to stop controversy or continue it and have the world judge you....seaworld is taking the later. But just to clarify I'm perfectly fine with the show and have nothing against seaworld. This just seems questionable to me