Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shrek 4D - Hollywood

When Shrek 4D first came out I thought it was cool. When quality 3D started coming to my local movie theater, it lost its appeal.

When Shrek 4D first came out I thought it was cool. When quality 3D started coming to my local movie theater, it lost its appeal.
Agreed.

Back in 2004, with its digital projection system and moving theater seats, Shrek 4D was pretty cool. But all of that was made outdated fairly quick.

I am so over 3D (even 4D) in parks. As Brover and Red Carpet point out 3D tech has reached every local cinema across the country and even in our own homes; adding a shaking seat and water effects isn't enough for me. I want what I can't see at home or my home town - a giant, moving King Kong yanking on a bridge. As bad as those "dacing cars" are (were) at least it wasn't another movie.

I'd love to see the Shrek theater turned back into a live stage theater.

Well we have 4Dplexes here in México and 2 weeks ago Jurassic Park 3D was shown. Now, this is a 4D cineplex which means the seats have vibration devices, they have things on the back that can poke you, they have air jets on the back. The theater is packed with fans (on the sides, so in the helicopter scene there was high wind inside the theater), strobes and smoke machines on the front. The front seats have water jets and air jets as well to be ejected in your face. Finally you have smell in the theater. The seats before the showing starts raise from the floor and you are completely hanging, so there is a lot more movement, like a lot. Watching JP in 4D was an amazing experience... Will post this in a Jurassic Park realted post as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we have 4Dplexes here in México and 2 weeks ago Jurassic Park 3D was shown. Now, this is a 4D cineplex which means the seats have vibration devices, they have things on the back that can poke you, they have air jets on the back. The theater is packed with fans (on the sides, so in the helicopter scene there was high wind inside the theater), strobes and smoke machines on the front. The front seats have water jets and air jets as well to be ejected in your face. Finally you have smell in the theater. The seats before the showing starts raise from the floor and you are completely hanging, so there is a lot more movement, like a lot. Watching JP in 4D was an amazing experience... Will post this in a Jurassic Park realted post as well...
That sounds amazing!!! 

That sounds amazing!!! 
It really does.

To be frank, I've never seen the appeal of Shrek 4D. Even during its opening year, I've always thought that Terminator was a superior experience. Shrek seems to be an embodiment of Universal's classic theme park cliches: overdrawn preshow, overblown water effects and great sound (haha). I'm sure the show has its fair share of fans, but I've never met or talked with one that didn't agree that this attraction brings nothing to the table.

Sometimes that's fine, but since Universal doesn't have a high attraction count to begin with, Shrek's flaws appear to be more glaring.

To be entirely honest, I wouldn't mind if you made a really snarky guide to the attraction.

BTW, I've seen plenty of other films in that same theater and holy cow the sound system is amazing but they never allow it to be at its fullest potential.

That sounds amazing!!!
Yeah, it really does!!! Gosh, I'd love to see the movie that way. I need to get myself a D-Box seat. Or Shrek 4D should upgrade to D-Box.

With Shrek, I'm a fan of the franchise and I enjoy the Shrek 4D FILM. HOWEVER, I think it's extremely mediocre as a THEME PARK experience. Very underwhelming. I love Shrek, and I think Shrek 4D's story would've been excellent as a dark ride or on the scale of BTTF/Simpsons. Shrek has fabulous animation all around and on a large HD scale with an Omnimax screen would've been excellent, especially compared to Simpson's animation which looks like an upscaled video game from 2003...

To be entirely honest, I wouldn't mind if you made a really snarky guide to the attraction.

BTW, I've seen plenty of other films in that same theater and holy cow the sound system is amazing but they never allow it to be at its fullest potential.

I'll see if I can pump one out by tomorrow morning.

Yeah, it really does!!! Gosh, I'd love to see the movie that way. I need to get myself a D-Box seat. Or Shrek 4D should upgrade to D-Box.

With Shrek, I'm a fan of the franchise and I enjoy the Shrek 4D FILM. HOWEVER, I think it's extremely mediocre as a THEME PARK experience. Very underwhelming. I love Shrek, and I think Shrek 4D's story would've been excellent as a dark ride or on the scale of BTTF/Simpsons. Shrek has fabulous animation all around and on a large HD scale with an Omnimax screen would've been excellent, especially compared to Simpson's animation which looks like an upscaled video game from 2003...
I just can't stand having the first film retold to me at the start of every show. I know Terminator did the same thing, but Shrek's rehash seems so drawn out...

At least Captain EO had charm. I could see myself seeing that show repeatedly for a laugh or whenever I'm feeling depressed knowing that things could be worse. For Shrek, it's just downhill.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/O6YzjCxfDLQ?feature=oembed

I don't mind seeing clips from the first movie. *shrug* Gets annoying but I don't mind, it's very short if you think about it, just a few clips. It's a necessary evil in certain attractions. I DO prefer attractions that you can enjoy without knowing the plots of the movies they're based on. Look at BTTF, ET, Radiator Springs Racers, Star Tours, Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park. All that don't rely on the viewers having previous knowledge of the movies. Their new adventures are good as stand alone experiences. So I agree, it can be annoying but I don't think it's that bad. If it wasn't so drawn out and the attraction was a better experience, I'm sure you wouldn't mind as much ;)

And I like Captain EO. It's the cheesiest and most cliche example of what the 1980s were, but it's still enjoyable! It's unnecessarily hilarious but still enjoyable.

Rumor is that it's not returning after it's extended "refurbishment" though....

And I like Captain EO. It's the cheesiest and most cliche example of what the 1980s were, but it's still enjoyable! It's unnecessarily hilarious but still enjoyable.

Rumor is that it's not returning after it's extended "refurbishment" though....
The refurb was called off at last second. Currently Captain EO is still saving the world everyday to less and less audiences.  :D

As for Shrek not leaving...this REEEEALLY annoys me. I would've at least have tolerated its stay if we had gotten to keep the Shrek queue for HHN...but that's out so it will be staying with no purpose than to harass us. Ugh.

If they insist on keeping it, can we at least add a few new effects to freshen it up just a little bit? Like maybe add some wind effects and some new seats with more 4D effects?

If they insist on keeping it, can we at least add a few new effects to freshen it up just a little bit? Like maybe add some wind effects and some new seats with more 4D effects?
I think adding scents would be a nice upgrade.

On second thought, never mind.

Adding new seats, similar to D-Box, with a wider range of motion, would be a fun update. I'd rather see a totally new attraction in that spot though. Give me a Spongebob or Dr. Suess attraction of some kind in there....