Six Flags - Florida Rumor | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags - Florida Rumor

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 29, 2013
Okay, I understand this rumor has been going on for over ten years. It resurfaced recently and I felt compelled to look here to see if anyone had heard anything similar.

Many of you may be familiar with the Six Flags rumor regarding a park in Hernando County. If not, please see the link below:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58967

I have recently heard the rumor starting up again. I do not want to go getting excited but it is interesting to note that S.R. 50 ( Which would lead to the park ) is being widened, and there is strong commercial growth coming in, in the form of a huge shopping complex with many restaurants and big box stores. Including names like Dicks Sporting goods, DSW, and Bone Fish grill. We are also having our main movie theater upgraded to an IMAX theater.

I am a real estate agent so the economic growth that it could bring to the area is very exciting. It likely will never happen but I thought it would be fun to discuss.

The link you posted was to a satirical article.

I just don't see Six Flags coming to Florida, it isn't their market.

I don't think this will happen. Doesn't Six Flags have a few neglected parks already (Six Flags America and Six Flags St Louis come to mind)? Best to take care of those before they build another park.

Also, Six Flags has only built 3 parks in their history (SFOG, SFOT, and SFSL), and that was in the early years. Nowadays, Six Flags doesn't actually build parks; they buy them.

If anything, I can see Six Flags building a park in North Florida (Jacksonville, Tallahassee, etc). Even then, given the current condition of the company, I don't think they'll be building or buying a park for a looong time...

The last park Six Flags built was in 1971 (St Louis). They BUY parks, and there are none for sale in Florida

^ They tried to buy SeaWorld when they went public last year. I wouldn't be surprised if SeaWorld's fortunes decline with all the Blackfish nonsense that Six Flags tries to buy them again and then just rebrands the parks as Six Flags. The current management of Six Flags is actually quite eager to acquire more parks and expand as the opportunities arise. They were ready to acquire and merge with Cedar Fair when they were on shaky ground a few years ago and they could easily try to do the same with SeaWorld.

^ They tried to buy SeaWorld when they went public last year. I wouldn't be surprised if SeaWorld's fortunes decline with all the Blackfish nonsense that Six Flags tries to buy them again and then just rebrands the parks as Six Flags. The current management of Six Flags is actually quite eager to acquire more parks and expand as the opportunities arise. They were ready to acquire and merge with Cedar Fair when they were on shaky ground a few years ago and they could easily try to do the same with SeaWorld.

The reason why Six Flags is the way they are now is because previous management got overzealous buying up too many parks. Six Flags knows they need to ease back and focus their attention on what they have. Yes they were interested in SeaWorld but those two companies would not mesh well at all. Six Flags runs a very cheap operation. SeaWorld parks are much more expensive to run, have lower profit margins than Six Flags and they take a lot more effort to manage.

The reason why Six Flags is the way they are now is because previous management got overzealous buying up too many parks. Six Flags knows they need to ease back and focus their attention on what they have. Yes they were interested in SeaWorld but those two companies would not mesh well at all. Six Flags runs a very cheap operation. SeaWorld parks are much more expensive to run, have lower profit margins than Six Flags and they take a lot more effort to manage.

Six Flags is controlled by H-Partners and they have DEEP pockets and they are the ones who pursued merging Six Flags with Cedar Fair and SeaWorld (all post Six Flags bankruptcy). They are making tidy profits at Six Flags now, but would absolutely expand the company if the price was right. I think it would ruin SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment (even more than going public has) because they would cut expenses and spending in the parks to the bone, but they COULD absolutely buy out SWP&E if they wanted.

Absolutely they could. But as you said it wouldn't be a good fit. I don't even want to think about beautiful parks like SeaWorld and Busch Gardens being taken over by a regional amusement company like Six Flags.