Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 161 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

No longer accepting cash (must use a card) and no larger bags.

I'm sure this will bring more people in
Why is SFMM so determined to push as many people away as possible? They’re not Disney.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I went to Fright Fest last Friday and walked in to every maze except Aftermath. The "Oktoberfest" is one little set up outside Ace of Clubs, with only one guy taking orders and serving your food, and it never had a line. Crowds are nonexistent already.

I really want this park to succeed; it's got the coaster record, plenty of space, and a fair amount of history. SCV locals I've talked to are usually very proud to have this as part of their community. But their current owners aren't treating it with the respect it deserves.

No longer accepting cash (must use a card) and no larger bags.

I'm sure this will bring more people in
They haven't been accepting cash since they reopened from the pandemic. They have machines where you can exchange cash for a refillable card. not ideal but these days most people a SF still have the meal plan so they don't spend money or have a debit card.

Reactions: Rideguy70
They haven't been accepting cash since they reopened from the pandemic. They have machines where you can exchange cash for a refillable card. not ideal but these days most people a SF still have the meal plan so they don't spend money or have a debit card.
Does it cost money to get these cards?

If not...its annoying (that literal US cash is not accepted) but at least if it doesn't cost

Does it cost money to get these cards?

If not...its annoying (that literal US cash is not accepted) but at least if it doesn't cost

If it's the same system as the reverse ATM kiosks (cash to card) at Knott's (seems more parks are going this route), it shouldn't cost you anything. Load whatever cash you want into the machine and it will issue you a Visa debit card it the same amount. Since it's a Visa card, it can be used outside the park. The way they make money is if after 92 days of inactivity, they'll deduct $3.95 per month of inactivity so just make sure to use it wherever Visa is accepted within 92 days.

Got to do fright fest houses last night for the first time and I actually had a lot of fun!

The vibes are local haunt but at a little higher scale with more houses and better scenery in some. I really enjoyed how free the actors were to move around and do whatever they want which lead to more creative scares than the sorta static and formulaic scares at hhn. Some actors will even follow you through the whole maze and with how abandoned sfmm feels in places it felt kinda out of a haunted maze horror movie. It was for sure chaotic and more freeform than hhn or knotts, but I just wanted to be scared and I got plenty scares in 5 out 6 mazes I did.

Rankings:
1. Condemned - Really fun house packed with so many scares in fun clever placements like under things and in nooks of hallways. Was surprised to find you have to duck and move in a certain area with a lot of SIF, my highlight scare was coming out of that to be greeted by a person camped out there screaming in my face.
2. Willoughby's - Really great sets and fun sneaky scares, just a solid house. Gave haunted mansion vibes in places.
3. Sewer of Souls - They gave me 3D glasses! I haven't done one of those since i was like 8 or 10 and it was a fun time. Had some cool floor effects and inflatable stuff to push or duck through to keep it interesting.
4. 666 Vault - The sets for this one felt pretty generic. I had a better run through earlier in the night when I was in there alone and there were more actors.They hide well but the sets feel a little uninspired.
5. Truth or Dare - Really liked the acrobatics and this effect scare at the end I won't spoil but its pretty bare and has only a few fun moments like a bright white strobe and fog room.
6. Aftermath - Awesome sets and cool vibe but not well staffed at all and very confusing direction wise. Wish terror tram would borrow the room and multiple path concepts from here.

I wouldn't spend the park ticket + haunted house add on to go, but for 30 bucks on top of my pass I was more than pleased with my experience. It's not hhn or knotts scale in terms of sets, but it's still fun and I got more scares than other haunts I've done elsewhere (with barely any lines on a sunday). My tips are start with the houses near the entrance and start doing the houses closest to when they open, you can get near solo pulsing and there will be more actors.

Last edited:
After getting to go on Dr Diabolical at Fiesta Texas a couple of days ago, if they decide to replace Scream with a “bigger and better version” of that coaster, I wouldn’t be mad.

Would it be a top 10 for most thoosies? No. Would it be insanely gimmicky? Oh yes, but it was insanely fun. I was surprised how good the airtime was on that drop even with those blasted vest restraints! I don’t know if this Seliem guy would be willing to spend the money on making it happen, but it would be insanely marketable, high capacity and reliable, which is something I’m sure the park really wants.

If they put in the money to make a B&M dive coaster to replace Scream, make it as steep as Diabolical but a hair taller than Yukon Striker, they can market it as the world’s “tallest, fastest, and steepest dive coaster” and the GP will come in droves. It would also be a lot of fun and I wouldn’t complain.

I know we would rather have the tilt coaster come to the park, but I feel like they would rather go for a B&M dive as that would be just as marketable and be far more reliable. I still think a tilt coaster could happen as that was originally planned with Giovanola, but there’s no telling how many times that ride is gonna break down. I think whatever replaces Scream is going to be either the B&M dive or the Vekoma tilt, but I have to believe they’re going to go with the coaster that’s going to have proven reliability, marketability, and throughout. I wouldn’t blame them and wouldn’t complain about it.

Reactions: SkiBum
After getting to go on Dr Diabolical at Fiesta Texas a couple of days ago, if they decide to replace Scream with a “bigger and better version” of that coaster, I wouldn’t be mad.

Would it be a top 10 for most thoosies? No. Would it be insanely gimmicky? Oh yes, but it was insanely fun. I was surprised how good the airtime was on that drop even with those blasted vest restraints! I don’t know if this Seliem guy would be willing to spend the money on making it happen, but it would be insanely marketable, high capacity and reliable, which is something I’m sure the park really wants.

If they put in the money to make a B&M dive coaster to replace Scream, make it as steep as Diabolical but a hair taller than Yukon Striker, they can market it as the world’s “tallest, fastest, and steepest dive coaster” and the GP will come in droves. It would also be a lot of fun and I wouldn’t complain.

I know we would rather have the tilt coaster come to the park, but I feel like they would rather go for a B&M dive as that would be just as marketable and be far more reliable. I still think a tilt coaster could happen as that was originally planned with Giovanola, but there’s no telling how many times that ride is gonna break down. I think whatever replaces Scream is going to be either the B&M dive or the Vekoma tilt, but I have to believe they’re going to go with the coaster that’s going to have proven reliability, marketability, and throughout. I wouldn’t blame them and wouldn’t complain about it.

I understand the appeal of the tilt coasters (still fairly novel) but nothing better than a good old reliable B&M. Taller, steeper, and longer with some additional elements (normal elements, not necessarily loops) along with being a people eater would be a huge win for the park.

Reactions: Freak
I was surprised by how many coasters were down yesterday. Goliath, Full Throttle, Wonder Woman, Scream, Riddlers and Viper were all closed

I honestly don't know how Six Flags will recover, from what I've seen its one of the only major theme parks where attendance is down.

I dont see Six Flags covered near as much as even USH now, the events they throw are the same ones from years past, rides are randomly closed and the new memberships/Aps suck compared to what people used to have.

Imagine paying for a full day ticket, spending all that gas money to drive up to Santa Clarita, PLUS $40 FOR PARKING, only to see half of all of the roller coasters to be closed, most of them being the really good ones. If Twisted Colossus just randomly closed indefinitely, I would literally have no reason to go at this point. And SFMM wonders why attendance is down.

Oh man the week between Christmas and NY's is going to be a complete hellscape. The last thing SFMM needs at this point is not a new coaster but a total overhaul of the park.

Ya it's frustrating that Magic Mountain is so badly mismanaged. I don’t know what changes might occur in Six Flags management, but at this point I'll hope for somehow Universal acquiring the park, and converting it into a west coast Epic Universe. It'll never happen, but it costs nothing to dream lol

Ya it's frustrating that Magic Mountain is so badly mismanaged. I don’t know what changes might occur in Six Flags management, but at this point I'll hope for somehow Universal acquiring the park, and converting it into a west coast Epic Universe. It'll never happen, but it costs nothing to dream lol
Heck I kinda wish the Sea World buyout happened at this point. Yeah Sea World is not the greatest company to run parks, but there's no way they would run it worse than how SF is currently running it.

Hershcend should've bought this park. That's the dream scenario for me.

Reactions: JS610
I was surprised by how many coasters were down yesterday. Goliath, Full Throttle, Wonder Woman, Scream, Riddlers and Viper were all closed

Per one site that I was reading (not sure which one), they said that MM was waiting on a new lift motor for Riddler and that the others had similar maintenance required. At the time of the article, seven mainline coasters were down which seems ridiculous, unless all seven broke down at the same time which could happen.

How's that song go? "Things can only get better"...lol.

The painting of Goliath is about to kick into high gear.

The supposed new entrance has been pushed back, however...

Roaring Rapids should reopen by Spring Break, new lockers coming to several attractions, Laughing Dragon is finally being demolished for something new, and Ninja may be on the chopping block (sadly).

• Sad
Reactions: Freak
How's that song go? "Things can only get better"...lol.

The painting of Goliath is about to kick into high gear.

The supposed new entrance has been pushed back, however...

Roaring Rapids should reopen by Spring Break, new lockers coming to several attractions, Laughing Dragon is finally being demolished for something new, and Ninja may be on the chopping block (sadly).

Man, Ninja is like the closest thing to Big Bad Wolf left in the world probably. Always enjoyed it, despite the second lift hill ending being kind of blah. Please say it aint so.