Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lionsgate World Resort

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The reason it's Perkins is because Perkins is already existing in that location. The owners wouldn't sell unless they were promised that it would be rebuilt or something crazy like that.

That would explain it, surely no other reason Joshua would want such a crabby buffet restaurant on his state of the art site.

I'm still on the side that this is happening though. If only because of Wallack. Think about everything in that location. Skyplex and it's various attractions, Perkins and then Mango's. Skyplex is the daytime fun and Mango's is the nighttime entertainment. He's trying to leverage his business' from what I can tell.
Oh I don't doubt at all that if he manages to get the money he will do it. The fact that he keeps throwing more things at this project in an attempt to keep it relevant to me indicates that likely won't happen.

Oh I don't doubt at all that if he manages to get the money he will do it. The fact that he keeps throwing more things at this project in an attempt to keep it relevant to me indicates that likely won't happen.
Well there's 2 ways to look at it:

The way you are where you are thinking he's adding stuff to try to get it paid for and stay relevant or that he's just being aggressive and thinking about what could work with a giant 500ft tower (and how much money he could squeeze out of it... you better bet it'll cost more $$$ to ride with VR).

Either is a possibility. We'll just have to wait to find out.

Well there's 2 ways to look at it:

The way you are where you are thinking he's adding stuff to try to get it paid for and stay relevant or that he's just being aggressive and thinking about what could work with a giant 500ft tower (and how much money he could squeeze out of it... you better bet it'll cost more $$$ to ride with VR).

Either is a possibility. We'll just have to wait to find out.
Yeah I agree it's smart to look for extra ways to make money. If this project were already underway then I could agree with that. To me this shows an incredible lack of focus on his part. Just getting this thing built would be a huge undertaking. He doesn't even have the money and yet he's just throwing anything and everything at the project. This doesn't make it closer to becoming a reality on the contrary it makes it a much more distant goal. I suppose it will be easier for him to justify the next few times he moves the opening date out. "Skyplex now targeting 2025 opening date with indoor ski resort" doesn't sound like an unlikely headline from the future.

Keep in mind that they're only a year into the opening of the largest nightclub on the east coast and just breaking ground on the new branded restaurant project w/ garage next door. If you think of it in phases, Mangos was Phase 1, Circo Complex Phase 2 and Skyplex the blue sky (but hopefully actually realized) Phase 3.

Yeah I agree it's smart to look for extra ways to make money. If this project were already underway then I could agree with that. To me this shows an incredible lack of focus on his part. Just getting this thing built would be a huge undertaking. He doesn't even have the money and yet he's just throwing anything and everything at the project. This doesn't make it closer to becoming a reality on the contrary it makes it a much more distant goal. I suppose it will be easier for him to justify the next few times he moves the opening date out. "Skyplex now targeting 2025 opening date with indoor ski resort" doesn't sound like an unlikely headline from the future.

Scope creep. Stable, proven companies have hard times opening new attractions in Orlando. I'm still skeptical.

So I found this on the Mangos site. By the end he's really pimping Skyplex. Not saying it means anything either way, just found it interesting how he made sure to segue into Skyplex in a Mango's promo video.

^^^^^
Love Mangoes
Had some fun times there.
Already planned on celebrating my Bday there next yr. Date for your diaries April 2.

I'm still trying to get my head around why they're adding VR.

VR only seems to be getting used on older coasters or on smaller coasters to make them more exciting.

Why would you want to cover the eyes of riders when the height of this coaster is its main selling point.

I think the VR is simply another way to make money off the coaster. It may even increase the amount of locals who reride it.
This is pretty much exactly what I think. They'll have the option, like Kraken at SWO will, to ride with or without VR. If you want the VR experience though, there will be an added surcharge to collect more money, much like 3D at movies costs more money than standard 2D.

In the morning, Perkins (especially a Perkins with a breakfast buffet) will make a killing among the cheap British tourists still left on I-Drive, and do ok with covention-goers when conventions are in town.

After midnight, Perkins will kill it with the drunk party crowd which is slowly taking over that stretch of I-Drive.

In between, just one more of many restaurants, dozens of which somehow make a go of it within 0.5 miles of there.

Not a tourist trap per se, but will make money, allowed developer to make peace with a holdout. I wouldn't overthink it.

In the morning, Perkins (especially a Perkins with a breakfast buffet) will make a killing among the cheap British tourists still left on I-Drive, and do ok with covention-goers when conventions are in town.

After midnight, Perkins will kill it with the drunk party crowd which is slowly taking over that stretch of I-Drive.

In between, just one more of many restaurants, dozens of which somehow make a go of it within 0.5 miles of there.

Not a tourist trap per se, but will make money, allowed developer to make peace with a holdout. I wouldn't overthink it.
When PI was open at Disney, the Perkins at LBV was packed at 2:30am :D

The more it gets pushed back, the less I believe it. I would love to see this happen, but we'll see.

And this is coming from someone whose been pretty optimistic throughout this thread.