Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lionsgate World Resort

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Does anyone know the status of any of the other poler coaster projects?
I always got the impression that the Orlando one was further along. Of course I guess they're all in the "looking for funding" stage so if they actually get money to build one whichever one that is will be first. That's probably the real reason they announced them for multiple locations to increase the chances of funding.

This garage was a big talking point when Skyplex was pending approval. While it is currently going to be used for Mangos (also owned by the Wallacks), I believe they are planning on making it large enough to accommodate the Skyplex traffic as well.

I guess we were over due for another desperate attempt to try to keep this concept alive.

Speaking of I drove past this the other day and noticed what was once the 7-11 has now been freshly remodeled. Anyone know what is this supposed to be? It seems odd to put money into something that would need to be torn down for this project to move forward.

Well i'll say one thing... if this does get built, it seems it will almost be a full day worth of entertainment, especially with Mangos right across the street.

But that's a big if.

I guess we were over due for another desperate attempt to try to keep this concept alive.

Speaking of I drove past this the other day and noticed what was once the 7-11 has now been freshly remodeled. Anyone know what is this supposed to be? It seems odd to put money into something that would need to be torn down for this project to move forward.

It's becoming a Hulk Hogan museum apparently, actually sponsored by the guy too. It's a temporary location as it was originally supposed to be a part of Skyplex.

The developer said there's more in play. I've kept not believing the "There's More!" talk but each time I get surprised. As of now it seems infrastructure work is underway (undergrounding etc.) and they got Duke Energy working on clearing up the power lines. I dont think Duke would go through that trouble if they werent assured of its viability.

Also, I never tend to underestimate big money spenders wanting a piece of Orlando.

The developer said there's more in play. I've kept not believing the "There's More!" talk but each time I get surprised. As of now it seems infrastructure work is underway (undergrounding etc.) and they got Duke Energy working on clearing up the power lines. I dont think Duke would go through that trouble if they werent assured of its viability.

Also, I never tend to underestimate big money spenders wanting a piece of Orlando.
Thanks for keeping us updated! It is interesting at the very least to follow this. I always thought the Orlando Eye wouldn't happen as well. I think while this is unlikely you never know what could happen.

Big question is whether or not Skyplex has all necessary funding in place, of if they still need extra funds. Could this be what has been holding up the project?

Big question is whether or not Skyplex has all necessary funding in place, of if they still need extra funds. Could this be what has been holding up the project?

The developer has told me the real challenge is the engineering and ongoing infrastructure changes has really been the thing taking a while. He said building a 500+ foot tower and adding all the attractions and amenities has really put his engineering team and Orange Co.'s staff into overdrive.

I'll also add that we've seen a crazy amount of projects underway not only on I-Drive but other parts of Orlando. So I wouldnt be surprised if there's a backlog of approvals and inspections the local govts need to tackle that is hanging up stuff. (In fact, I've had a local source tell me thats been part of the hang up with his project.)

Edit: I should add I'm not privy to Skyplex's financing details. But just sharing my 2 cents on what I DO see happening.

The developer has told me the real challenge is the engineering and ongoing infrastructure changes has really been the thing taking a while. He said building a 500+ foot tower and adding all the attractions and amenities has really put his engineering team and Orange Co.'s staff into overdrive.

I'll also add that we've seen a crazy amount of projects underway not only on I-Drive but other parts of Orlando. So I wouldnt be surprised if there's a backlog of approvals and inspections the local govts need to tackle that is hanging up stuff. (In fact, I've had a local source tell me thats been part of the hang up with his project.)

Edit: I should add I'm not privy to Skyplex's financing details. But just sharing my 2 cents on what I DO see happening.

Let me reach out to my contact that still works for the Wallacks, she helped oversee the launch of Mango's Orlando.. part of the e-board

I can definitely see how this is easy to dream up, but a nightmare to engineer. Makes me wonder, how deep will the foundation for something like this go?

I can definitely see how this is easy to dream up, but a nightmare to engineer. Makes me wonder, how deep will the foundation for something like this go?
There is work going on in the area. Roadwork and foundation work. Sand Lake and International drive is about to get some major changes. If this and ISquare do get built, whatever Universal Brings to the North I Drive Corridor will have it competing with South I Drive as I Drive Destinations.

FWIW, Orlando is about to hit another construction boom. Not just the tourist area, but the entire city. Much Like what Rich said , the money is coming here.... and quickly.
Seriously, there are so many projects that are either being built or going through the gov right now in both areas. It's going to be like the pre-recession boom but bigger.

Seriously, there are so many projects that are either being built or going through the gov right now in both areas. It's going to be like the pre-recession boom but bigger.
Years ago I used to have a thread over on Urban and Skyscraper (Welcome to Urban BTW) to keep up with Metro area projects and I couldn't keep up. There was over $2 Billion worth of projects from transportation infrastructure to housing, to retail, to entertainment. Now days, like you said, it' going to be even bigger than the pre-recession.

Years ago I used to have a thread over on Urban and Skyscraper (Welcome to Urban BTW) to keep up with Metro area projects and I couldn't keep up. There was over $2 Billion worth of projects from transportation infrastructure to housing, to retail, to entertainment. Now days, like you said, it' going to be even bigger than the pre-recession.
Yep, it's gonna be HUUUUUUGE!!!!! I'd been viewing UP for a few years now. Thought I'd finally get in on the discussion.