So how scary and bad is the Hulk/Mummy Launches? | Inside Universal Forums

So how scary and bad is the Hulk/Mummy Launches?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 8, 2012
For those who don't mind reading and would like some background info on my situation, please read the first paragraph. For those who just want to get to my questions, please go below the first paragraph. But some necesarry background info is I am going to universal for the first time in March so that is why I am asking these questions.

Ok so far from my experiences, I have found out I HATE roller coaster launches; you know where you accelerate 0 to 60 mph within 2 seconds type deal. I have been on 2 in my life. 1 is called Joker's Jinx which is located at a 6 flags up in Maryland. The other is Rock N' Roller coaster which most of you should be familiar with from Disney World's Hollywood studios. Both roller coaster accelerate on a flat plane from 0 to 60 within 2 seconds. This sudden bit is the only thing that scares me on the rides and other then that I love them. But they don't just scare me, they terrify me. If I can explain my emotional response from roller coasters; it is seperated in 3 levels. 1st level is thrill or fun. I get this most of the time and is the reason I go on coasters. 2nd is Terrifying Fear. This is a deep feeling of fear sinking down to your stomach stabbing you. Depending on intensity, it can feel like a brief little bit of fear as a release of adrenaline to the feeling of death incarnate. Regardless of intensity, this normally only last a few seconds and is replaced my intense thrill. The third level is petrifying fear. And this for me is terrifying fear magnified 10 times over to the point my whole body locks up and I cannot even breath or scream. It's like every muscle of my body locks up. It is a horrible feeling. It only lasts a few seconds and the rest of the ride is pure thrill which makes up for it. But the only time I have gotten the feeling of petrifying fear since i was like 12 is going on launch roller coasters. I went on rock n roller coaster a few months ago as a 22 year old and still got it. I ride them anyways because while I hate those moment with a passion, the sheer adrenaline and thrill from the rest of the ride is indescribable. I don't know why I react this way to launches and do just fine everywhere else. I wish I could control it.

So how bad is the 0 to 40 up hill launch of the hulk compared to 0 to 60 flat plane launch of the Rock N roller Coaster? 0 to 40 sounds so much better to me and sounds like it might be around my thrill range. But something tells me the uphill nature of the launch makes up for the lack of speed compared tot he rock n roller coaster. Is this true? Is this part scary. For ppl who did not like Rock N Roller Coaster's launch, how did you feel about the Hulk's launch? Also does the mummy launch any? and how is it's launch as well?

Last edited:
It really depends on what scares you about the launches. If the acceleration is what scares you than I would say it is possible the hulk may be better for you in that regard. However I find the hulk to be more intense in the sense that it launches into a zero G roll. But if you just think of it as going uphill into a loop that might be better for you than the 0-60 rush of RnR.

The Mummy I would say is the tamest of them all. What makes mummy intense similar to the hulk is it is uphill and goes right into a curved drop. I find that just to be a lot of fun. You get a great bit of airtime there. If you like drops I don't think you will have a problem there. Think of it like Test Track only uphill into a mummy's mouth with a space mountain like drop.

Hope this helps.

Yeah it does, space mountain's darkness does not bug me. Drops and rolls do not bug me. Test track was a cake walk. So hopefully this wont be a big deal.

If you found Test Track a cake walk, you'll think the same of the Mummy. Hulk is similar only a little more intense; I'd say the coaster itself is more intense than than RnRC but the launch isn't as fast, but is uphill. Your prerogative.

This sudden bit is the only thing that scares me on the rides and other then that I love them. But they don't just scare me, they terrify me.

Hulk's launch is VERY sudden and surprising and intense. You know it is coming, but you can't be sure when. Mummy is a wee bit more predictable. If you decide to ride both, be sure to come back and tell us how they seemed to you.

Oh man. Launches are probably my favorite thing to have on a coaster.

Yeah, Hulk's launch is definitely more intense than Mummy's. It's a fantastic coaster, though, and if you love everything about coasters minus the launch, I say go for it. It's been a while since I've been to MG, er, Hollywood Studios, so I can't really compare it to that. It's definitely not as bad as Top Thrill Dragster! :D

the launch for Hulk is extremely intense, and it's followed by a really intense roll. If you are terrified of launches, then you will not like this.

personally I think that launch is the best part about the coaster.

Havent been on top thrill dragster though.

Hulk is more scary for the brain damage it gives you then the launch. But for your case I would say it would be a no go.

Mummy's launch really isn't much to write home about, so I think you'd be okay.

I went as a party guest for Universal and they paid for me so I was kind of obligated to ride all the rides. This was my first roller coaster besides RnR at the time, I was similar to you but I didnt like the loops. The launch in RnR was very scary to me as well. I watched a few YouTube videos on it and it obviously doesnt do it justice. However, when I rode it, it was not even close to RnR. The most intense part of that ride for me is the view right after the launch. The Zero G Roll is very intense in the sense that you feel like your in mid-air for a couple seconds. But overall, the launch goes by very fast and is sudden. But if you want to know where the launch happens, SPOILER: when the voice says no! no! nooo! (the third "nooo!" is the launch). The mummy is nothing, you barely get a feeling. But if its possible, I would ride the mummy first then the Hulk just to see.

The Hulk is to me the best of any Launch I have ridden. I have done Top Thrill and other launches But none compare with a launch into a g-roll. The shot up and out is by far the best start to any coaster. The Mummy is up and over and into the dark not really all that and a bag of chips. Fun ride but the launch is nothing compared to The HUlk and even Rock n Roller coaster.

I used to be terrified of roller coasters, not any more though. For me, the ride that rid me of my fear was the Hulk. I first went on Space Mountain for when I was 18, Hulk when I was 20, and RnR when I was 21. It's hard for me to say which launch is more intense though, Mummy's is nothing, you should be fine. RnR is pretty intense, but you're just going forwards (Get ready to be launched when your car is pulled backwards). Hulk's Launch you start out slow and about midway up the lift you blast off, so you're going up. I think Hulk overall is most intense (LOTS of loops), and RnR is just a fun ride (It's actually fairly tame for a "Bog Boy" Roller coaster. Just watch out for the first 15 seconds or so, you won't know if you're right side up or upside down, it's pretty cool). I encourage you to try both out for yourself, there's a good chance you'll end up liking them.

The Hulk also got me out of my fear of coasters, but serously the Hulk isnt that bad in my opinion but if your a first timer then you'll get scared I know I was the first time but it was such an adrenaline rush I loved it. But the Mummy is nothing its just plain fun, but to be honest Dragon Challenge is the most intsense coaster in Orlando.

I found the Mummy to be ok :) Not had the guts to try the Hulk yet! Been on Rock 'n Roller coaster and dragon challenge though! For RnR its the anticipation that kills me!

I feel exactly the same about launched coasters. Ironically, my first ever coaster was The Hulk. I remember thinking during launch "OMG if all coasters are like this I already hate them!", but after the launch and first drop it was just greatly thrilling :) Admittedly last time we went to IOA (and I've only been a few times over the last 10 yrs due to living in England), I didn't go on Hulk, only Dragons. I went on Mummy for the first time last time we went to UO and whilst I did find the launch quite intense, it was nowhere near Hulk and over much faster.

I do think I have a sensitive stomach, though, as I just can't understand how people love that sensation of the launch when I really don't. I think you can build up an immunity if you're going on coasters a lot - when we went to IOA last time, I hadn't been on a coaster in years and even Forbidden Journey made my stomach drop. After going on FJ, Hippogriff etc. my stomach hardened enough that I could go on DD, although I had a 10-min panic about whether to go on it, even though there's nothing I don't like about DD.

I think, for me, I probably scare myself more than the rise itself. I just work myself up into a panic even though I know I love the Hulk ride aside from the launch. There has only been one coaster I haven't liked at all - Saw over here in Thorpe Park. I don't know why, but I found the drops really bad! Perhaps due to going through the dark coaster part and then having to wait and go vertical; I seriously did have a panic then.

We're back in Orlando this September and I'm going through a should-I shouldn't-I panic about Manta having not been on coasters in a while again and never having been on something like that. Think I'm more worried I'll have a panic attack when we're tilted and on the hill!!