Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Sony Pictures Hack

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
i'm just going to leave this here due to what has transpired due to a new Seth Rogan, James Franco comedy film has made Sony Pictures hacked with a lot of things..

So much for The Interview. The top 5 movie theaters in the country (AMC, Regal, Cinemark, Carmike, Cineplex) has dropped out of showing it, signaling to the rest of the world that some kid with a computer, which is most likely who the hacker is, can control whatever they want.

So much for The Interview. The top 5 movie theaters in the country (AMC, Regal, Cinemark, Carmike, Cineplex) has dropped out of showing it, signaling to the rest of the world that some kid with a computer, which is most likely who the hacker is, can control whatever they want.
I don't think it was just any "kid".

Sony let go of about 270 IT workers right before this happened I believe. Seems to me that it's a disgruntled ex-employee behind all of this.

Yep, many theatres refused to screen it amid fears of being hacked themselves.

Which is such nonsense. I guess now we live in a world where I can tweet "hey, don't screen that Star Trek movie" and the movie won't get played. Also, if you have better security than Sony did (passwords located in a folder named "passwords" isn't security, btw) than a hack threat shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Which is such nonsense. I guess now we live in a world where I can tweet "hey, don't screen that Star Trek movie" and the movie won't get played. Also, if you have better security than Sony did (passwords located in a folder named "passwords" isn't security, btw) than a hack threat shouldn't be too much of a concern.

And what if Sony had released the movie and something had happened? What would your opinion be of them then? The fact is, even if the threats are harmless, some lunatic still could plan some sort of attack and just blame the hacks or use that as motive. People are crazy, why encourage them?

And what if Sony had released the movie and something had happened? What would your opinion be of them then? The fact is, even if the threats are harmless, some lunatic still could plan some sort of attack and just blame the hacks or use that as motive. People are crazy, why encourage them?

Then why do anything, really? This is a dumb argument and I'm just done.

It was also just stated that senior intelligence officials say that North Korea was centrally involved in the hack...not just a kid on a computer. So there is some validity to the pull. I personally think that it's an overreaction, by the way, but I can see where the studio is coming from.

My opinion would have been the same. Homeland security already said they didn't find any evidence of a physical attack and if something did happen, I would still blame the person who planned the attack, not Sony. What idiot would blame Sony?

Also, with your logic, we would all sit around doing nothing. Some lunatic can plan an attack for any reason at any minute and put the blame on anyone they wish. I don't understand your argument at all.

It was also just stated that senior intelligence officials say that North Korea was centrally involved in the hack...not just a kid on a computer. So there is some validity to the pull. I personally think that it's an overreaction, by the way, but I can see where the studio is coming from.

While that makes it more serious, that doesn't change much. What would be the worst that would happen if the movie was released? Seems pretty illogical that North Korea would blow up every single American theater showing the movie.

Last edited:
Then why do anything, really? This is a dumb argument and I'm just done.

What are you talking about..? It's a liability thing. It covers Sony in case of an accident. Remember when the shooting happened at the Dark Knight Rises? Imagine that happening, only this time someone comes after Sony for being "negligent" or irresponsible or something like that. Slim chance, yes...but I take it you don't know much about insuring large companies if you think that that's "dumb".

What are you talking about..? It's a liability thing. It covers Sony in case of an accident. Remember when the shooting happened at the Dark Knight Rises? Imagine that happening, only this time someone comes after Sony for being "negligent" or irresponsible or something like that. Slim chance, yes...but I take it you don't know much about insuring large companies if you think that that's "dumb".

And who was liable for that tragedy? The wackjob kid who had guns (....I'm having flashbacks from the Machine Gun America thread. Abort, abort!)

WB was not responsible for that. Nolan was not responsible for that. The movie theater was not responsible. We all blamed the kid. If something like that happened again, we, being logical people, would blame the person who did it, not the film studio.

And who was liable for that tragedy? The wackjob kid who had guns (....I'm having flashbacks from the Machine Gun America thread. Abort, abort!)

WB was not responsible for that. Nolan was not responsible for that. The movie theater was not responsible. We all blamed the kid. If something like that happened again, we, being logical people, would blame the person who did it, not the film studio.

I'm not saying that anyone did, and I'm on the same side as you in terms of MY personal opinion. The problem isn't rational people like you and me, it's with people who, if at all affected by tragedy, will come with guns blazing at anyone who they cam possibly hold responsible. The Dark Knight shooting came out of nowhere...this movie has a threat pre-attached to it. Should something happen, SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, will blame Sony because they were already "warned" so to speak. And rather than deal with a bunch of crazy people threatening their film in our lovely sue-happy society, they'll take a bath and hold it from release for now. It's just about protecting themselves from the liability and like I said, despite seeing this as an overreaction, see the jusification in Sony's actions.

I don't think Sony would have pulled it if the theaters themselves didn't tell them they weren't going to screen it. I think once you lose a huge percentage of your potential revenue, you are better off pulling back and regrouping.

There is also the fact that whoever did this, clearly hacked into Sony's stuff and who knows what other info they have. They might have stuff that would wreck Sony as a company or personally embarrass the decision makers. If thats the case, they might think that pulling the movie might be the only avenue they have to prevent the worst stuff from coming out.

I don't think Sony would have pulled it if the theaters themselves didn't tell them they weren't going to screen it. I think once you lose a huge percentage of your potential revenue, you are better off pulling back and regrouping.

This is a very good point. If the top 5 are not going to show it, not worth releasing a movie like this. Who knows which of the other theaters wouldn't show it either, they are not big enough to make the news :rofl:

So maybe not just avoiding the bad press and backlash, but it could be better for them to write the whole thing off as a loss. Y'all know some of the best financial magicians work in the movie industry.

I'm a little surprised they pulled it alltogether after Homeland Security said the threats weren't credible, but whatever's best for safety.

Actually, the FBI is now saying that North Korea was involved...maybe still not credible but not some kid in his basement either.

You're getting two things mixed up. Homeland Security said any "terrorist attack" threats weren't credible, as in any sort of plan to attack the US movie theaters physically. Where the attack was coming from is irrelevant, they said there was no evidence of an upcoming attack. Also yes, the US is now saying that the hack did come from North Korea after all.

There is also the fact that whoever did this, clearly hacked into Sony's stuff and who knows what other info they have. They might have stuff that would wreck Sony as a company or personally embarrass the decision makers. If thats the case, they might think that pulling the movie might be the only avenue they have to prevent the worst stuff from coming out.

I find it hard to believe that if North Korea is behind the hack that they did this all because of a movie. If they want to release more info, they will, despite the movie getting delayed, and I use that word because Sony never said they aren't going to release the movie, they just aren't on Christmas of this year.