Sony Pictures Hack | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Sony Pictures Hack

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You're getting two things mixed up. Homeland Security said any "terrorist attack" threats weren't credible, as in any sort of plan to attack the US movie theaters physically. Where the attack was coming from is irrelevant, they said there was no evidence of an upcoming attack. Also yes, the US is now saying that the hack did come from North Korea after all.

I never said there was a connection between credibility of the threats and the source of the hack...just that it's not a prank from a couple of teenagers (like you implied on the first page of this thread). It's a little more..."official", for lack of a better word, that's all.

I never said there was a connection between credibility of the threats and the source of the hack...just that it's not a prank from a couple of teenagers (like you implied on the first page of this thread). It's a little more..."official", for lack of a better word, that's all.

I wasn't trying to come off as being defensive or attacking you :lol:I was just trying to clarify that the terrorist threats are not more credible because it now seems that North Korea is in fact the source of the attacks. Your reply to ThemeParks4Life made it seem so.

Everyone played into the hackers' hands. The media, the movie theaters, even Sony themselves.

This is the first act of online terrorism I think we've ever seen, whether it be North Korea or not, to threaten a 9/11 type attack if people didn't comply with their demands should be considered terrorism in itself. So what does everyone do? They take the easy way out, and give this hacker group exactly what they want.

I mean, is this really the precedent we want to set? Hack the system, threaten an attack and you can get whatever you want? That's dangerous...

Does this mean I don't have to see the trailer anymore in front of everything?

I think it gets released on VOD after this has calmed down, but considering the hack has terrabytes of info who knows when North Korea will stop.

Does this mean I don't have to see the trailer anymore in front of everything?

Considering the movie would have come out next week you wouldn't be anymore :lol:

I think it gets released on VOD after this has calmed down, but considering the hack has terrabytes of info who knows when North Korea will stop.
Yeah, I think people think just because Sony is stopping with the film the North Korea will stop, but why should they? They have so much info they could keep going for the next year if they wanted to. It was something like 100 terrabytes of info. Just a ridiculous amount.

Everyone played into the hackers' hands. The media, the movie theaters, even Sony themselves.

This is the first act of online terrorism I think we've ever seen, whether it be North Korea or not, to threaten a 9/11 type attack if people didn't comply with their demands should be considered terrorism in itself.

I don't really think this is terrorism, more in the realm of Corporate Sabotage, but I didn't hear anything about physical assault. They went after Sony not the USA. I haven't been following this all that closely other than just hearing the headlines and whatnot. Has Japan or Sony come out and said anything about this?

I don't really think this is terrorism, more in the realm of Corporate Sabotage, but I didn't hear anything about physical assault. They went after Sony not the USA. I haven't been following this all that closely other than just hearing the headlines and whatnot. Has Japan or Sony come out and said anything about this?
What I mean more is they threatened terrorism though. Yes it was all done online and I doubt anything was actually going to be done, but just the threat of an attack is usually considered terrorism by federal standards.

What I mean more is they threatened terrorism though. Yes it was all done online and I doubt anything was actually going to be done, but just the threat of an attack is usually considered terrorism by federal standards.

OK so they did threaten an attack. Didn't know that, makes it a much different conversation.

I must say it was a dumb idea for them to make the movie so specific, especially about killing someone. At a minimum they should have made a fictional person/place, where movie goers could still figure out what it's really about.

I must say it was a dumb idea for them to make the movie so specific, especially about killing someone. At a minimum they should have made a fictional person/place, where movie goers could still figure out what it's really about.
I know Seth Rogan makes generally pretty Juvenile movies, and this really is no exception, but if there's one thing i've picked up from watching interviews he's done, it's that he either goes all the way or not at all. He did an interview and said Sony asked him if he could maybe not kill Kim Jong Un and he flat out said No. Sony still went through with it because they believe in him and he makes them a ton of money.

Rogan never would have even made this film if it wasn't specific to Kim Jong Un.

Eh, that's one way to tell a story, but no one should have to censor themselves, especially here in America, based on another country's leader.

Well, technically, Sony is a Japanese company.

Techincally.

But you wouldn't know it based on the stuff that has been leaked.

Exactly. A lot of the content of the leak was about Americans, and The Interview is pretty much an American movie written, directed and starring American actors, which was dropped by theaters in the US first, which caused Sony to drop it fully.