Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse (2023)

Season 4 Episode 10 GIF by Paramount+

Went into this having watched no trailers and with some pretty rough Marvel fatigue and couldn't have loved it more. Somehow, I think I actually enjoy this one more than the first which was an already fairly perfect movie.

Last edited:
Given how many sequels (and especially those to surprise hits) disappoint, I'm thrilled to hear the reactions so far!

Last edited:
Processing it more, leaves me with even more to say.

In the general sense, there is something that genuinely enthralls and fills me with love for the depth and care that is given to Miles's journey; and especially Gwen's. My main issue is where it ends right as it does--but that is because I genuinely want to see the conclusion to the storyline now in how they'll wrap it up.

It does do some catch-up; but it makes sense in the context of the film's multi-part nature.

In the terms of music: a lot of the vocal and Daniel Pemberton tracks are exceptional but I think the credit goes to Calling and the intro song for the film in how they amped up the electronical changing.

I just watched the first movie the other day to brush up on it. Still one of my favorite animated movies ever. This movie takes that and just completely levels up and honestly puts the MCU's attempts at the Multiverse (outside of NWH, another Sony movie) to shame. This clearly is Across the Spiderverse Part One, as it was initially titled and that's okay! Hopefully they stick the landing with Beyond the Spiderverse. Based on these first two films, I have no reason to doubt they will end it strong.

Something i'd sort of be a little surprised at though is if the third film stays at a March 2024 release date. Early June seems like a prime release date for an animated movie and if this opens as big as I think it will, I could easily see the finale to the trilogy getting pushed back by a few months.

I honestly think it'll get pushed back to April.

Mario proves that time frame is perfect and gives a good window of time if the competition is as minimal as it is, and it allows the WoM and box office to continue climbing faster than Across will.

___

Getting towards Across, gonna share some spoiler thoughts more on the...longer picture. Big spoilers too.

What makes me interested the most with this film above everything else that it does amazingly: is actually what it implies. Of how well connected the proper mainline "Spider-Verse" is now with the "Marvel Cinematic Universe of E-199999.

We saw glimpses of how that has been connected such as the Sacred Timeline branching off as it did at the end of Loki, but now it has additionally been connective with that of the inclusions of other live action individuals such as Donald Glover as Aaron and that of the other live action cameos from both Venom's universe and Andrew's.

I almost have to think that with the way things are heading, MCU Peter is absolutely going to have to play a role in Beyond due to his rejection of things in NWH mimicking and echoing of Miles. And how that could give MCU Peter what he'd need to know going forward to better become Spider-Man.

i have nothing against this movie and theres nothing wrong with it, but it felt kinda disappointing to me. the villains were kind of annoying and outside the great scenes with Miles other stuff wasnt as great. i love the first one a lot, but here it felt like it needed better editing or something. maybe too much set up for the next one.
i love Miles, i love Gwen, i love peter. everything else was kind of too much and sometimes annoying.

something else that annoy me is that is basically the same plot as Loki, literally the same premise (and i heard flash will be the same)

I think the film is great

My only issue is the ending

It’s not bad but compare it to empire or infinity war, which I feel wrap up that part of the story but also end on a cliff hanger

It was just over as things were still happening but besides that small thing it’s a great film

Great animation, so many deep cut spidermen, funny with great action and moments of heart and a very good plot twist thrown in there

I hope we get more time with some of the antagonist characters because they just didn’t get enough time to be fleshed out but to be fair not like kingpin in the first film is the most fleshed out thing either

Huge $120.5M debut for a sequel to a film that only opened to $35.5M. This is the third largest 3-day opening weekend for a Spider-Man film only behind No Way Home ($260M) and Spider-Man 3 ($151M). It beats out Spider-Man Homecoming's opening by $3M and 2002's Spider-Man by $6M.

I’m glad people are supporting this film

why is Miles different from the other Spider-Man? We have comic miles and video game Miles?

I’m glad people are supporting this film

why is Miles different from the other Spider-Man? We have comic miles and video game Miles?
The spider that bit him wasn't from his dimension. It was supposed to bite Prowler Miles instead. When The Spot is telling his origin story, you can see the spider about to bite the other Miles when it gets teleported to the ITSV universe.

The spider that bit him wasn't from his dimension. It was supposed to bite Prowler Miles instead. When The Spot is telling his origin story, you can see the spider about to bite the other Miles when it gets teleported to the ITSV universe.
People keep saying that but we have Cloned Spidermen along with Miguel who was injected with it at least in the comics.....at least the clone to me screams like a non canon event because something outside of fate making someone a Spider man as well.

People keep saying that but we have Cloned Spidermen along with Miguel who was injected with it at least in the comics.....at least the clone to me screams like a non canon event because something outside of fate making someone a Spider man as well.
The groundwork was laid in ITSV:

Earth-42 was supposed to be Spider-Man and Earth-1610 Miles (our Miles) was supposed to be Prowler.

The groundwork was laid in ITSV:

Earth-42 was supposed to be Spider-Man and Earth-1610 Miles (our Miles) was supposed to be Prowler.

Interesting well, we will have to see how they resolve it because the first movie message was literally anyone could be Spiderman...now the second film is saying only those fated to be Spiderman can be

The movie was fantastic. Animation was absolutely gorgeous, and I care about these characters so much.

I have a feeling of where the 3rd movie and eventual ending are headed though.

Miles' dad will not have to die, because Miles is an "anomaly", and thus doesn't need to follow the typical canon events of most Spidermen (since he already had his "Uncle Ben moment" with Aaron.

To go along with that, Gwen says that in every universe, Gwen falls for Peter and it doesn't end well. Just like with above, they will end up together with a happy ending because Miles is an anomaly.

Either Prowler Miles or Spider-Man 2099 are going to die in place of Jefferson if I had to bet. That kind or redemption fits both characters (one is a villain who lost his father, the other is the one trying to let him die). This story won't end completely happy. I do expect Miles and Gwen to go out on their first date at the end of the movie though.

I'm so disappointed this isn't in 3D. I know the tide has long turned on 3D's popularity, but the first movie was one of the best experiences of the time.

I'm so disappointed this isn't in 3D. I know the tide has long turned on 3D's popularity, but the first movie was one of the best experiences of the time.
Agreed

I saw Dr Strange in 3D last year and Puss in Boots and both were great in 3D....insane this film wasn't

I mean, the tide hasn't turned when you look at what TWOW just did. It just takes the right movie to get consumers to churn out that extra money.

I was seeing TLM eating up all 3D screens this week. A shame really as I would've used my A-List to see it in 3D.

I mean, the tide hasn't turned when you look at what TWOW just did. It just takes the right movie to get consumers to churn out that extra money.

I was seeing TLM eating up all 3D screens this week. A shame really as I would've used my A-List to see it in 3D.
TWoW feels a little unfair as an example. It's the only movie my friends were on-board to see in 3D without protest. The first movie was the movie that revitalized 3D. Seeing another entry in the series in 3D 10 years later says very little about the overall trend.

I just saw the TLM today in 3D. Solid experience. From what I had seen looking for screenings, it was not all that popular to see it in 3D (few showings and a lot of empty seats). The last LiMax 3D screening for it was at noon today at my local theater, so I went. Kids probably still love 3D. Adults definitely seem not to care or have negative opinions generally. 3D rarely survives past two weeks for even the biggest movies at my local theater, and it has 24 theaters...