Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Web Slingers (DCA)

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Details have begun to come out, of the first phase attraction for Marvel at Disney California Adventure; featuring the web slinger, Spider-Man.

Spider-Man, would be a blending of new technolgies with practical effects; to stimulate the feeling of being a super-hero. And in the attraction, Spider-Man would dawn a new suit; created by the Visual Development teams of Marvel Studios for the attraction (headed by Ryan Meinerding).

tryuhy6799-1024x542.jpg

Previously, there was a concept art that helps give way to what the attractions facade would look like for the DCA version.

DsIhKEkXgAI5uUU.jpg

I made the thread for the one that's likely coming before Paris, as California is ahead with work already underway at the location for the attraction.

That said, to..sum up some rumors:
  • Shooting Dark Ride (seemingly not the Omnimover style of Nano-Bot Battle from HKDL)
  • Heavy use of Projections
I am more curious to see if they did a Mission Breakout; and did principal photography for the actors involvement (Tom Holland, Zendaya, Jon Faverau) during Far From Home's production. It would certainly make sense, depending on contracts; and would help connect the MCU more with this land to what MB did rightfully (and what Nano-Bot Battle is also doing).

Are we sure this is even a ride? Nothing in the official description says so. They call it an "experience" and an "interface."

I feel confident in the fact WDI has no idea how to properly use Spider-man or understand the character at all.

Yep. But in fairness, their backs are against the wall -- no matter what they come up with, the best they can hope for is for it to be the "Second-Best Spider-Man Attraction."

Are we sure this is even a ride? Nothing in the official description says so. They call it an "experience" and an "interface."

From past convo's I've had off the clock (and the rumors), it is an attraction. They're just trying to layer story before subsistence.

Agree, I think they could potentially make a great ride with this, but not a great Spider-man ride.

Let me ask this, full heartedly: What is a Great Spider-Man Ride?

This one:

new-spider-man-islands-of-adventure-march-8-2012-548-oi.jpg

Okay, let me re-phrase; excluding IOA/USJ Spidey..What exactly would make, a great Spider-Man attraction?

I feel like people don't ask "that" question, and it should be something that's asked. Is it, simulating what it feels to travel alongside the web-slinger as he goes up against a group of rogues? Or is it witnessing the action from close?

Let me ask this, full heartedly: What is a Great Spider-Man Ride?

I might retract that statement slightly as I don't want to be the guy complaining about a ride that we know nothing about yet.
For me Spider-man at IoA works perfectly, you are part of the story in a believable way (well believable in the context of Marvel)
I think overall the "recruitment center" theme for the Marvel lands just sounds a little lacking to me, why does Tony Stark want normal people testing out his gear? I'm not saying I have the answers though, I can't think of a way to do a well themed Marvel based land.

I possible wouldn't even do a stand alone Spider-man, but a Avengers ride in the style of Transformers/Spidey/Forbidden Journey during a big battle scene with all the Avengers would be pretty sweet.

Okay, let me re-phrase; excluding IOA/USJ Spidey..What exactly would make, a great Spider-Man attraction?

I feel like people don't ask "that" question, and it should be something that's asked. Is it, simulating what it feels to travel alongside the web-slinger as he goes up against a group of rogues? Or is it witnessing the action from close?

A Kuka-Arm shooting dark ride would be fantastic, as long as it features physical sets and multiple villains. The Kuka-Arm would actually have to move though.

A Kuka-Arm shooting dark ride would be fantastic, as long as it features physical sets and multiple villains. The Kuka-Arm would actually have to move though.

As much as I'd love that I'm not sure the footprint is big enough in either the DCA or Paris locations to fit a Kuka arm dark ride. This is likely just going to be Ant Man Nano Battle sized.

I'm hyped for a Marvel land, I just hope they put as much effort into future Marvel attractions as they have with Star Wars.

I made the thread for the one that's likely coming before Paris, as California is ahead with work already underway at the location for the attraction.

That said, to..sum up some rumors:
  • Shooting Dark Ride (seemingly not the Omnimover style of Nano-Bot Battle from HKDL)
  • Heavy use of Projections
I am more curious to see if they did a Mission Breakout; and did principal photography for the actors involvement (Tom Holland, Zendaya, Jon Faverau) during Far From Home's production. It would certainly make sense, depending on contracts; and would help connect the MCU more with this land to what MB did rightfully (and what Nano-Bot Battle is also doing).

TSMM with shooting webs at bad guys.

Alrighty, so as mentioned before and elsewhere, for a while it feels like Disney really hasn't been taking advantage of the MCU in the parks. Besides the meet and greets in the parks which can feature the Heroes, ride-wise it's all been overlays so far. While overlays are not inherently a bad thing, it feels strange for a park to go the quick n' easy route for a IP that's raking in billions. (Then again, this is the same company which gave Frozen the overlay treatment.)

So now that they're finally doing a full-blown Marvel dark ride from the ground up...they're doing a shooting dark ride for a character who doesn't really fit with a shooting dark ride. :|

Yes, Spider-Man shoots webs from his web shooters. But he mainly shoots webs to swing, wrap and grab things, not constantly pepper a volley of shots to defeat the bad guys. Heck, when it comes to fighting he'll go into fisticuffs.

If you're going to do a shooting dark ride with a Marvel hero, go with Iron Man, War Machine, Hawkeye. They spend a whole lotta' time legitimately -shooting- the bad guys themselves. An since Disney is rolling with the Stark Industries angle, all the better to focus on them and not Spider-Man.

If you're gonna' do a Spider-Man dark ride, give me something to replicate swinging through New York. I know they had ideas for something practical, though no doubt the method for it was well...impractical. Now a Kuka arm, that would be the next best thing.

Either way, a Spider-Man shooting dark ride feels a bit misguided. Leading to the discussion/thought that WDI doesn't really get the character, nor know how to use him.