Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Tours 3D

Feb 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Florida
Star Tours Upgrade. Star Tours has been operating at Disney parks since the '80s. One important feature of the ride system is that it can be reprogrammed with relative ease - just change the ride's movie, re-program the flight simulator-based ride system to match the film, and off you go! Three new Star Wars films have been released since Star Tours began ferrying passengers to the Forest Moon of Endor, and fans of the ride have been hoping for a new slant on this old favorite since Anakin Skywalker climbed into a pod racer for the first time. How hard would it be to change the story line so that guests ended-up in a crazed pod race, instead of joining the attack on the Death Star? So far, no good. A New Hope. Actor Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), a frequent guest at Star Trek conventions, reportedly announced at a recent convention that he had filmed some new sequences for an upgraded ride film. Will that film see the light of day? There's always the chance that it doesn't satisfy either Disney brass or Star Wars creator George Lucas.
Any chance seeing the light of day? Will we ever get a new Star Tours?

There were rumors of Lucas Land as Disney focuses on HS trying to upgrade the entire park. But without a new Indiana Jones or a new Star Tours - using 20 year old attractions - one has to ask why now?

hopefully, but guess is it wont be happenign anytime soon. My guess is after Pixar Place. I love Star Tours as it is, a nice rehab would be nice. But an upgraded version would be better. I think its needs major TLC though.

I dont see Lucas Land happening either.

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle...the rumors have died down i posted a thread and new rumors already!

today over in Disneyland...this story came out...

News updates about Star Tours 2 are few and far between but a source has heard an interesting new development rumor for the project. Our source tell us that while currently one of the pods (#3?) at the Disneyland attraction is “down for maintenance”, the truth is that WDI has been playing around inside the cabin after hours and playing It’s Tough To Be a Bug footage of all things. While this seems odd at first, apparently they are doing it to test a new 3D projection system they are working on for the cabins for the new Star Tours. The good news is that they may be working on the idea of finally opening the new Star Tours 2 ride as part of the Tomorrowland 2010 project that may see the entire land refurbished once again for the park’s 55th Anniversary.

so heres to more rumors!

It's Tough To Be A Bug would be one hell of a simulator. :lol: While this doesn't confirm anything, this is definitely a few steps closer the a new ride.

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle...

If you have a nephew or niece, you already are-we're closely related to the monkeys. DUH!

Also, thanks for the updates. I've been in a giving mood today, so here ya go! :rep:

EDIT: :doh: I need to give it to some more people first. Sorry 'bout that.

If you have a nephew or niece, you already are-we're closely related to the monkeys. DUH!

Also, thanks for the updates. I've been in a giving mood today, so here ya go! :rep:

EDIT: :doh: I need to give it to some more people first. Sorry 'bout that.

haha...well thanks for the kind thoughts ;-)

i really hope this turns out to be more than a rumor...2010 is right around the corner!

Screamscape:
Rumor - (4/25/08) Screamscape sources tell us that we should finally expect to see Star Tours shut down by the end of this year or in early 2009 in order to begin work on the massive overhaul it will receive for the Star Tours 2 concept rebirth. While this is said to be a complete overhaul that will keep the ride closed for months, the WDW version may actually reopen before the Disneyland version. Expectations are high right now as they are simply not just dropping in a new movie to the old ride, but this makeover is said to change everything.

It would be nice to have a Lucas Land!!! Can't wait for the Star wars clone wars, I got to see some of the film and renders from Lucas films since I had the chance to design toys for it this week. The renders are nice almost like their 2D counter parts but I do prefer more the 2D star wars better but will see.

The Star Wars rehad sounds interesting. I'm excited to see what they will do with it besides just a new film. I hope we get some close encounters with the dark side of the force, and I don't mean another gift shop dump walk through...

i am glad this sounds like it is moving along. also glad we once again get it just before DL. hehe. ;-)

remember that they were testing its a bugs life in these things. so it may be some 3d type of simulator ride. not to shabby!!!

Let the rumors continue!: Late 2009 or Early 2010 - Star Tours 2 - Semi-Confirmed - (5/28/08) After all these years of following rumors for the next version of Star Tours confirmation of the project has finally been leaked in an article about the GCI effects for the latest Indiana Jones film. While interviewing Hayden Landis, a head GCI guru for Lucasfilm’s ILM, the last paragraph says, “Next up for Landis is another nostalgia-oriented project--a redo of the Star Tours ride at Disneyland.” We can only assume that the project will also be launched at the other three Star Tours attractions around the globe at the same time or shortly afterwards.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/disneyland.htm

Great find Sadgasm. I love Star Tours, my first introduction into the Star Wars universe, but there's no denying that an update is needed. Can't wait to see what they come up with and I plan on enjoying the current version a few extra times next month just in case.