Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

As long as Disney doesn't shove Star Wars down everyones throats and over sell it like they did with the Cars franchise...episode seven will make decent money unlike Cars 2 did...which wss nowhere as much of a success as the first movie was. :thumbs:

As long as Disney doesn't shove Star Wars down everyones throats and over sell it like they did with the Cars franchise...episode seven will make decent money unlike Cars 2 did...which wss nowhere as much of a success as the first movie was. :thumbs:

Why... are you even comparing Star Wars with Cars?

That would be interesting....

IF IT WASN'T A COMPLETE LIE

Cars Box Office: $461,983,149
Cars 2 Box Office: $559,852,396

Interview with Hamill

As details continue to flood in regarding the just-announced Star Wars: Episode VII, EW managed to catch up with Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hamill, who reveals that he was made aware of plans for a third trilogy last August.

"[George Lucas] asked Carrie [Fisher] and I to have lunch with him and we did," Hamill says, "I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the 'Star Wars' TV series that I’ve heard about — which I don’t think we were going to be involved in anyway, because that takes place between the prequels and the ones we were in and, if Luke were in them, he’d be anywhere from a toddler to a teenager so they’d get an age-appropriate actor — or the 3-D releases. So when he said, 'We decided we’re going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,” I was just gobsmacked. “What? Are you nuts?!” [Laughs]"

Although Hamill learned of the plans for more films, he was as surprised as anyone at the announcement of Lucasfilm being bought by Disney when he read about it online yesterday. He also doesn't know what involvement - if any - he'll have in future Star Wars films, but he remains optimistic as a fan.

"I can see both sides of it," he says. "Because in a way, there was a beginning, a middle, and an end and we all lived happily ever after and that’s the way it should be — and it’s great that people have fond memories, if they do have fond memories. But on the other hand, there’s this ravenous desire on the part of the true believers to have more and more and more material. It’s one of those things: people either just don’t care for it or are passionate about it. I guess that defines what cult movies are all about."

Hamill reiterates that Kathleen Kennedy will be handling a lot of the work on the new films, leaving Lucas to his newfound retirement and plans for a charitable educational foundation funded by the multi-billion dollar sale

Wellll...most of that Cars 2 gross is overseas, where much less of the gross goes to the people that made the film. In America, Cars 2 was much less successful than the first.

Wellll...most of that Cars 2 gross is overseas, where much less of the gross goes to the people that made the film. In America, Cars 2 was much less successful than the first.

Does domestic vs. global box office even matter in terms of popularity, which clearly the point trying to be made? I don't know where to find the numbers, but have the Cars toys taken a hit because of that? I wouldn't think so.

Not that any of this even really matters. This film WILL make its money back and then some. The two films which grossed less than Cars 2 on opening day were Up and Ratatoullie, which were both MUCH better films than Cars 2. There won't be any Pixar invlovement likely anyway. And make no mistake, that trainwreck was John's baby. Hopefully some former Pixar *cough* Brad Bird *cough* folks may be involved though....

Last edited:
Well Disney certainly has something to prove in the Sci-Fi department considering how Tron (even Tron: Legacy to a degree), Treasure Planet, Mars needs Moms, and John Carter underperformed. Lilo and Stitch did well but it also took place primarily in a contemporary setting which dwarfed the intergalactic background.

I think a fresh approach is necessary for the Star Wars franchise at this point. Nobody wants prequels anymore and, while a lot of fans want the extended universe with Thrawn, Jedi Academy, Yuuzhan Vong, etc., the main cast of the original trilogy won't reprise their roles even if they are now age-appropriate. And good luck trying to rebrand Han, Luke, and Leia with new acting talents. Unless it's CG like the Clone Wars show, it just won't work.

I worked for Disneys PR dept for a while...that number was a complete lie :) Not saying Cars 2 was bad....but it put my 7 year old nephew to sleep and he loves the first movie. I can understand adults not liking this movie but when a child criticizes the movie marketed towards them then there is a problem.so your argument is invalid :p BTW...worst idea for directors for Star Wars episode 7...the Wachowski.brothers:cheers:

- - - Updated - - -

And also as someone who works around and knows alot of Brazilians...Cars 2 was way more popular in Brazil than it was in the states. :thumbs: ....okay back to the SW ep 7 discussion. :cheers:

I worked for Disneys PR dept for a while...that number was a complete lie :) Not saying Cars 2 was bad....but it put my 7 year old nephew to sleep and he loves the first movie. I can understand adults not liking this movie but when a child criticizes the movie marketed towards them then there is a problem.so your argument is invalid :p BTW...worst idea for directors for Star Wars episode 7...the Wachowski.brothers:cheers:

And also as someone who works around and knows alot of Brazilians...Cars 2 was way more popular in Brazil than it was in the states. :thumbs: ....okay back to the SW ep 7 discussion. :cheers:

Please, don't sully Orlando United with acquistions like those. It's a better site than that.

And obviously since your kid didn't like it, it was a complete financial failure.

Please, don't sully Orlando United with acquistions like those. It's a better site than that.

And obviously since your kid didn't like it, it was a complete financial failure.
I never wrote that the child who watched it was my kid :thumbs: I'm sorry I learned in school time that it's"accusation" Acquisitions are when people buy stuff. :cheers: I can meet sarcasm and snarkiness with way more sarcasm than most can handle :happy: I was just making a valid point about how Disney "cooks their books" to keep their failures out of the public spotlight. BTW you try going all the way through school wearing glasses,being named Jack and being half native and tell me you aren't going to develop an incredibly wicked sense of sarcasm and the ability to instantly detect when people are patronizing you :cheers: That's fine if you don't agree with my comments...just ignore them and move on there youngling.