State of USH - What's Next? | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

State of USH - What's Next?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just because a property makes money in it's original field (eg computer games) doesn't mean it will translate into another medium as successfuly - see almost every computer game turned into a movie for example.

It needs to be the right IP or theme. Whatever we may think about F&F it does perfectly translate into a themed coaster - as it always should have been instead of the rubbish Universal have so far delivered.

Creative is on quite a roll right now, especially with coasters, and at least this attraction could at least be a good coaster even if the IP usage is meh. I'm hopeful
Unfortunately I think the only rolling USH Creative have done is out the door as I believe they were let go during the Pandemic.

Pokemon may be raking in money as an IP, but Fast and Furious, whether you like it or not, is a billion-dollar franchise that's still going strong after two decades. Of course Universal is going to prioritize representing their own IP in their own park. You may find it a boring IP, but... clearly the world doesn't think so, otherwise the films wouldn't be so popular and Universal wouldn't be trying to fix their Supercharged mistake by giving the property better ride representation. F&F is a goldmine IP.
Mostly agree, my only hesitastion here is around that crucial theme park element - Merch. Is F&F a goldmine for Merch like Jurassic, Nintendo & Potter are or is it a bit 'meh'?

For what its worth I dont think Pokemon is coming to USH, like, ever.
Amen

A shop is all it needs IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris.g and Freak
I just knew what I was growing up if you wanted thrills you went to six flags and then DCA/Knotts. People pretending like one coaster is going to draw those people in have clearly never gone to the Justice League ride at Six Flags....its great but no lines? Why because Six Flags isnt a dark ride theme park.

I'm not clear on this logic. It's not just one coaster all by itself in the park. It's one new coaster in a park that already has a lot of other types of rides. As others have mentioned, it's about balance, and USH needs that balance.

SFMM is suffering this just as much... too many coasters, not enough flat rides. JL is a step in the right direction, but I know that at least for me (and I think many others), it lost people by making people wait for not just one, but two horrible, very long, and unnecessary pre-show rooms. Seems they're allowing people to skip them now, but I think the damage was already done. I don't think it has much, if anything, of it not being a "dark ride" park.

Also, roller coasters don't have to be big, extreme thrills. An intermediate coaster is just fine. And if you aren't interested in coasters, that's fine... don't ride it.

I'm not clear on this logic. It's not just one coaster all by itself in the park. It's one new coaster in a park that already has a lot of other types of rides. As others have mentioned, it's about balance, and USH needs that balance.

SFMM is suffering this just as much... too many coasters, not enough flat rides. JL is a step in the right direction, but I know that at least for me (and I think many others), it lost people by making people wait for not just one, but two horrible, very long, and unnecessary pre-show rooms. Seems they're allowing people to skip them now, but I think the damage was already done. I don't think it has much, if anything, of it not being a "dark ride" park.

Also, roller coasters don't have to be big, extreme thrills. An intermediate coaster is just fine. And if you aren't interested in coasters, that's fine... don't ride it.
I'm thinking of a certain quote from Thanos when I hear the word "balance"

To add onto SFMM's JL ride, it always blew my mind why the other versions at the other Six Flags parks always had a normal queue, but for some reason, this one had to force us to watch two horrendously boring preshows that could easily be skipped. I know several people that never want to do the ride again because of that. I'm baffled why it took them this long to finally dump those preshows.

But yeah, if F&F is about on-par thrill-wise with Hagrid's, I'll be a happy camper.

IP Currently featured at USH:
Attractions
Waterworld
Kung Fu Panda (other DreamWorks cameos)
Secret Life of Pets
Despicable me
Harry Potter
The Simpsons
Studio tour [King Kong (Peter Jackson version), Jurassic Park, Jaws, Psycho, War of the Worlds, Fast and Furious]
Jurassic World
The Mummy (1999)
Transformers

Merch/Characters only
Nintendo (ride/land opening 23)
Classic Monsters
Hello Kitty
Dr. Seuss
Scooby-Doo
Back to the Future
DreamWorks and Illumination IP not featured in rides

Let me know if I'm missing any. But that's a pretty wide net, from Horror to kids shows, popular to mostly forgotten. I expect that net to stay wide. I think Comcast likes the parks being a destination for fans of many different experiences.
How do we feel about the variety, too much, not enough, just right?

IP Currently featured at USH:
Attractions
Waterworld
Kung Fu Panda (other DreamWorks cameos)
Secret Life of Pets
Despicable me
Harry Potter
The Simpsons
Studio tour [King Kong (Peter Jackson version), Jurassic Park, Jaws, Psycho, War of the Worlds, Fast and Furious]
Jurassic World
The Mummy (1999)
Transformers

Merch/Characters only
Nintendo (ride/land opening 23)
Classic Monsters
Hello Kitty
Dr. Seuss
Scooby-Doo
Back to the Future
DreamWorks and Illumination IP not featured in rides

Let me know if I'm missing any. But that's a pretty wide net, from Horror to kids shows, popular to mostly forgotten. I expect that net to stay wide. I think Comcast likes the parks being a destination for fans of many different experiences.
How do we feel about the variety, too much, not enough, just right?
I know I'm in the minority but im down for half of the rides for the next 15 years to be Nintendo

They have some of the most fun IPs out there and most are different enough to have lots of kinda rides
Spatoon as a colorful shooter ride
Zelda as a trackless ride that takes you through temples
Pokemon - A Pokemon Snap boat ride or Omi Mover.....or interactive ride where you can capture/battle pokemon
Metriod as Trackless shooter where the better you to the better the path you take
Animal crossing as a cute dark ride or show
Pikman as a cute train ride though nature...or just a walking attraction
Super Smash as a Coaster or Simulator ride
Lugi's Mansion Dark ride most likely interactive with lights

I know I'm in the minority but im down for half of the rides for the next 15 years to be Nintendo

They have some of the most fun IPs out there and most are different enough to have lots of kinda rides
Spatoon as a colorful shooter ride
Zelda as a trackless ride that takes you through temples
Pokemon - A Pokemon Snap boat ride or Omi Mover.....or interactive ride where you can capture/battle pokemon
Metriod as Trackless shooter where the better you to the better the path you take
Animal crossing as a cute dark ride or show
Pikman as a cute train ride though nature...or just a walking attraction
Super Smash as a Coaster or Simulator ride
Lugi's Mansion Dark ride most likely interactive with lights
Flip your idea/suggestion on it's head for a minute. Would you be happy to have every attraction at USH over the next 10 years be Wizarding World themed until more than half the park is one Potter theme or another?

It would be overkill in both cases. Variety is what we need.

We can have more Nintendo but I'd say one more expansion is enough and then done. USH is not big enough for more.

Flip your idea/suggestion on it's head for a minute. Would you be happy to have every attraction at USH over the next 10 years be Wizarding World themed until more than half the park is one Potter theme or another?

It would be overkill in both cases. Variety is what we need.

We can have more Nintendo but I'd say one more expansion is enough and then done. USH is not big enough for more.
Harry Potter is literally the same IP (also said 50% of the attractions)

Pokemon and Metriod feel 100% different

And my choices from Universal are animated movies....FF...and Jurassic. They don't have big Ips anymore like BTTF, I mean sure the old monsters but not like those are current IPs

I just want the best IPs I dont care where they come from but Bourne and FF and boring....one is cars and the other is spy.

Also I'm wanting more game a faction of lands....rides I can go either way but I want more lands like Potter...which means you need gimicks and Pokemon and Nintendo IPs have that.

So you want a video game park. Agreeing with @Jamesh22, that's overkill for Nintendo.
What rides do you guys want? Like honestly, I would like to know what others think make sense in the park and will bring people in

What IPs fit theme parks better? Honestly what are hot IPs that would make the best rides

Universal Animated films works well but live action...they got jack current IPs besides Jurassic and F&F

This is a Universal Studios theme park...
I'd much rather see Universal leverage some older IPs (BTTF, Monsters) in the park than licensing everything out. I love Harry Potter, I'm excited for SNW, but I'm also a little disappointed to see the park move away from movie making and Universal properties. Most of all, I hope Universal comes out with some original movies worth making rides off of. I also think that a good FF ride would do a lot of good

Last edited:
Harry Potter is literally the same IP (also said 50% of the attractions)

Pokemon and Metriod feel 100% different

And my choices from Universal are animated movies....FF...and Jurassic. They don't have big Ips anymore like BTTF, I mean sure the old monsters but not like those are current IPs

I just want the best IPs I dont care where they come from but Bourne and FF and boring....one is cars and the other is spy.

Also I'm wanting more game a faction of lands....rides I can go either way but I want more lands like Potter...which means you need gimicks and Pokemon and Nintendo IPs have that.

You raise a really valid point about the lack of Universal IP's. I was thinking about this the other day, Jurassic feels like the last 'Great' IP following on from the likes of Monsters, BTTF, Jaws, Kong, Mummy etc. (F&F is an IP but I don't count it as a great one personally)

Universal don't seem to make movies like that currently/anymore which can cross over from screen to theme park. I'm sure someone will correct me and mention something newer I haven't thought of but most of the new 'great' IP's at Universal seem to be coming from sources that are not Universal Studios (Potter, Nintendo, Transformers), I think thats because of a lack of internal IP's

What rides do you guys want?

What IPs fit theme parks better? Honestly what are hot IPs that would make the best rides

Universal Animated films works well but live action...they got jack current IPs besides Jurassic and F&F

You're saying this like our only choices are Nintendo or Universal IPs, so you'd prefer Nintendo because Universal has nothing. Potter is an outside IP. Simpsons is an outside IP. Transformers is an outside IP. Nintendo is an outside IP. Clearly, then, Universal is absolutely open to bringing non-Universal franchises into their park, of which there are many outside of Nintendo and Universal that I'm sure have been talked about not just on these forums but by the decision-makers at Universal. Personally, for instance, I'd be down with seeing Universal team up with Warners and Legendary for a Godzilla vs. Kong ride for some MonsterVerse representation, or with Columbia/Sony for a Ghosbusters ride like many of us have dreamt of in other threads. That's thinking outside of the box, because our choices are not, in fact, "Just Nintendo or Universal."

But my god, dude. We get it. You want Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo. You think F&F is just the stupidest thing in existence. You've repeated it ad nauseam in a bunch of other threads. At this point, why keep beating a dead horse over and over and over and over and over again?

Reactions: BriefCasey
Thi

This is a Universal Studios theme park...
I'd much rather see Universal leverage some older IPs (BTTF, Monsters) in the park than licensing everything out. I love Harry Potter, I'm excited for SNW, but I'm also a little disappointed to see the park move away from movie making and Universal properties. Most of all, I hope Universal comes out with some original movies worth making rides off of. I also think that a good FF ride would do a lot of good
It reminds me....when Star Wars and Marvel was bought by Disney and people were like "but what about other Disney Ips"

Difference is Disney is still making ten great films a year...if you have current IPs that haven't been already used in the theme park and aren't animated please go for it....but besides space someone tell me the difference between a Sing attraction and a Pokemon one....except one is an IP people care about and isn't based off a meh kinda movie

You're saying this like our only choices are Nintendo or Universal IPs, so you'd prefer Nintendo because Universal has nothing. Potter is an outside IP. Simpsons is an outside IP. Transformers is an outside IP. Nintendo is an outside IP. Clearly, then, Universal is absolutely open to bringing non-Universal franchises into their park, of which there are many outside of Nintendo and Universal that I'm sure have been talked about not just on these forums but by the decision-makers at Universal. Personally, for instance, I'd be down with seeing Universal team up with Warners and Legendary for a Godzilla vs. Kong ride for some MonsterVerse representation, or with Columbia/Sony for a Ghosbusters ride like many of us have dreamt of in other threads. That's thinking outside of the box, because our choices are not, in fact, "Just Nintendo or Universal."

But my god, dude. We get it. You want Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo. You think F&F is just the stupidest thing in existence. You've repeated it ad nauseam in a bunch of other threads. At this point, why keep beating a dead horse over and over and over and over and over again?
Because I'm waiting for the people against more Nintendo to point out the Rides/IPs they really want to see

Sorry that I want good Rides in the park that aren't based on boring generic look action films.

As for Godzilla Vs Kong, I'd ve very down for that, if they can get the rights to Godzilla for a ride.

What rides do you guys want? Like honestly, I would like to know what others think make sense in the park and will bring people in

Outside of Pokémon as the next major Nintendo IP? The Universal Monsters is one that comes to mind real quick (F&F as-well). Invest on improving the show/attraction distribution, even if that means going for lesser IP's like Bourne and Sing, or IP's from Universal that could blow up to be major franchises. You also can't underestimate that anomalies can and will happen, that causes Universal to react. Waterworld, one of the biggest box office failures in history, is a flourishing park IP that's finally getting another shot for small scale formats.

Outside of Pokémon as the next major Nintendo IP? The Universal Monsters is one that comes to mind real quick (F&F as-well). Invest on improving the show/attraction distribution, even if that means going for lesser IP's like Bourne and Sing, or IP's from Universal that could blow up to be major franchises. You also can't underestimate that anomalies can and will happen, that causes Universal to react. Waterworld, one of the biggest box office failures in history, is a flourishing park IP that's finally getting another shot for small scale formats.
I mean, I'd love Universal to have a Monster Universe but they tried twice and failed.

And I'm also not saying Nintendo rides forever....but for the next 15 years, its the biggest things they have outside Jurassic and FF and my point would be if Sing could be a surprise hit...then why are people against a Metriod ride?

Would people here really rather have a Sing show over a Metriod Dark ride?

I think Universal was very smart getting with Nintendo, they just aren't making many big films and even when they cool (looks at Wicked) they split it into two parks because of greed.
Also unless people like the random each building looks like a studio or a generic thing, Nintendo and other fun IPs are also the only way's we get more lands in the park....which Simpsons, Nintendo and HP are by far the best lands in USH hands down

Because I'm waiting for the people against more Nintendo to point out the Rides/IPs they really want to see

Sorry that I want good Rides in the park that aren't based on boring generic look action films.

I literally just gave you two examples off the top of my head.

And that's the thing, isn't it? You're arguing with people as if we're all dumb and you've got it all figured out that Nintendo is the future because you don't see the value in stuff like F&F and you love Nintendo. Though you offhandedly dismissed @Jamesh22's point about what if it was Wizarding World for the next decade, it's still completely valid: Not all of us want Universal to become a Nintendo park, in the same way not all of us - and it seems, ironically, that you'd be included in that - would want it to become a WW park. Where you want them to ram down Nintendo IP after IP down our throats, I, personally, would hate that because I'm not a big Nintendo person and that's not what I want at a Universal Studios park, yet I'd also still hate if they rammed the WW IP down our throats even though I am a big WW person.

And I'm also not saying Nintendo rides forever....but for the next 15 years, its the biggest things they have outside Jurassic and FF and my point would be if Sing could be a surprise hit...then why are people against a Metriod ride?

Would people here really rather have a Sing show over a Metriod Dark ride?

I think Universal was very smart getting with Nintendo, they just aren't making many big films and even when they cool (looks at Wicked) they split it into two parks because of greed.
Also unless people like the random each building looks like a studio or a generic thing, Nintendo and other fun IPs are also the only way's we get more lands in the park....which Simpsons, Nintendo and HP are by far the best lands in USH hands down

And, again, it seems like you're just willfully skipping past the fact that it's not just a "Universal or Nintendo or bust" situation, which is so weird considering you yourself are using non-Universal, non-Nintendo examples (Simpsons and HP) as some of the "best lands in USH." This is what I mean when it feels like you're just repeating the same exact thing over and over and over again, because people try and make points -- like I did, about Universal teaming up with other studios -- and you just gloss over them or ignore them to circle right back to, "Well, what else does Universal have? Boring F&F??"

EDIT: See below for my exact point about repeating the same exact things while circling back to "Well, what else does Universal have? Boring F&F??" in action!

Last edited:
I literally just gave you two examples off the top of my head.

And that's the thing, isn't it? You're arguing with people as if we're all dumb and you've got it all figured out that Nintendo is the future because you don't see the value in stuff like F&F and you love Nintendo. Though you offhandedly dismissed @Jamesh22's point about what if it was Wizarding World for the next decade, it's still completely valid: Not all of us want Universal to become a Nintendo park, in the same way not all of us - and it seems, ironically, that you'd be included in that - would want it to become a WW park. Where you want them to ram down Nintendo IP after IP down our throats, I, personally, would hate that because I'm not a big Nintendo person and that's not what I want at a Universal Studios park, yet I'd also still hate if they rammed the WW IP down our throats even though I am a big WW person.

And, again, it seems like you're just willfully skipping past the fact that it's not just a "Universal or Nintendo or bust" situation, which is so weird considering you yourself are using non-Universal, non-Nintendo examples (Simpsons and HP) as some of the "best lands in USH." This is what I mean when it feels like you're just repeating the same exact thing over and over and over again, because people try and make points -- like I did, about Universal teaming up with other studios -- and you just gloss over them or ignore them to circle right back to, "Well, what else does Universal have? Boring F&F??"
If people are against more Nintendo rides...then please just tell me what you'd like to see but even Kong is already in the park along with FF

If people want to name IPs that make sense to use please go for it

But Simpsons is most likely dead, Harry Potter Ive said 1,000 times I'd like another land and ride (dont care which ride or land just more)

I'd love a HTTYD or Dreamworks land if they Destroy or reuse The Frankenstain Parking area.

But Nintendo makes sense if you guys want more full lands, if you want just more studio stuff then sure keep pulling for FF and Bourne. I just don't see either an unique enough to need rides, they don't sell merch (which is important wheather or not people on this board think it is) and they wont make the parks look nicer or make better lands. So to me I don't see them as much of a win

If people are against more Nintendo rides...then please just tell me what you'd like to see but even Kong is already in the park along with FF

If people want to name IPs that make sense to use please go for it

But Simpsons is most likely dead, Harry Potter Ive said 1,000 times I'd like another land and ride (dont care which ride or land just more)

I'd love a HTTYD or Dreamworks land if they Destroy or reuse The Frankenstain Parking area.

But Nintendo makes sense if you guys want more full lands, if you want just more studio stuff then sure keep pulling for FF and Bourne. I just don't see either an unique enough to need rides, they don't sell merch (which is important wheather or not people on this board think it is) and they wont make the parks look nicer or make better lands. So to me I don't see them as much of a win

Oh, my God. Forget it. This is like talking to a wall. At this point, I can only assume you're actively choosing to ignore the point, along with the non-F&F/Bourne examples I did, in fact, give you, because there's really no other explanation for it other than you won't rest until everyone agrees with you. I give up.