Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Steve Burke Stepping Down from Comcast, Jeff Shell to Succeed Him

Nov 15, 2012
NYC
Steve Burke to Step Down as NBCUniversal CEO in 2020 – Variety

Steve Burke is expected to step down as CEO of NBCUniversal next year and is likely to hand the reins to Jeff Shell, who is now chairman of NBCUniversal Film and Entertainment, multiple sources tell Variety.

Burke’s NBC contract formally expires in August 2020, but sources say he could depart earlier in the year. Shell, who is now based in Los Angeles, will split his time between New York and the West Coast should he assume the CEO post, according to people familiar with his plans.

In January, Burke enacted a dramatic shakeup of NBCUni leadership that placed Shell in prime position to succeed him, industry insiders noted at the time.
MASSIVE.

Burke is 61, I don't think he's looking to become CEO of Disney for 10-20 years. He's going to retire and start some sort of small side firm to keep himself engaged for a bit.
I could see him going to one of the tech companies. Apple is looking to hire as many media execs as possible (rumor is they’re circling around the old HBO head as well)

Interesting speculation right there. He would be leagues than Chapek.
Chapek isn't becoming the CEO. There's a much better guy in charge of Disney's Streaming side that is now thought to be the favorite. I was pretty impressed when I looked into him compared to everyone else that has been talked about.

EDIT: Kevin Mayer is who I was thinking of. One of his main jobs throughout the years has been managing all of Iger's big acquisitions including Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm and FOX. He also is the one who called the shot on divesting Miramax (Iger had to approve, obviously).

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets named COO soon.

Last edited:
Chapek isn't becoming the CEO. There's a much better guy in charge of Diney's Streaming side that is now thought to be the favorite. I was pretty impressed when I looked into him compared to everyone else that has been talked about.

EDIT: Kevin Mayer is who I was thinking of. One of his main jobs throughout the years has been managing all of Iger's big acquisitions including Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm and FOX. He also is the one who called the shot on divesting Miramax (Iger had to approve, obviously).
Yeah, Mayer is pretty much a given at this point. And I think he would be a great choice.

People close to Burke said the CEO is not eyeing a job at another media company. Burke has said that he had little interest in competing against Comcast. He previously told The Times that he had no intention of clinging to power long past his prime.

Burke is expected to spend more time on his Montana ranch or pursue something in the investing world. He has made a fortune at Comcast (his annual compensation typically tops $30 million) and has the financial chops. Burke has been a board member on one of the world’s largest banks, JPMorgan Chase, since 2004.
--------------------------------------
variety.com/2019/tv/news/jeff-shell-nbcuniversal-ceo-comcast-1203436011/

Interesting article at Jeff Shell and what to expect

So im not as familiar with the guys and their relations to helping the parks. Is this going to be a good/bad thing for future park investment? Or shall we see how things play out? This is all happening quite fast.

I don't know why it's a big deal one way or the other.

I learned last week that anyone with any sense of business can run any of these companies and that it really isn't hard. Iger, Burke, Shell; all interchangeable and no one has more or less acumen than the other.

Chapek isn't becoming the CEO. There's a much better guy in charge of Disney's Streaming side that is now thought to be the favorite. I was pretty impressed when I looked into him compared to everyone else that has been talked about.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets named COO soon.
Well this post didn't age well.