Street Shows | Inside Universal Forums

Street Shows

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't think I've actually ever stopped and watched an entire street show, actually. I've seen most of that cartoon one they have in front of the Blues Brothers stage, but the rest I just sorta look at when walking by.

Anyone seen the New York Construction Tap Dancers??? Are we taking a step backwards? Thoughts?
I think it's a nice little side show. The show I saw, the crowd was really into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer the Double Date singers to return at Mel's Diner.  At least that seems themed well.  I have never seen tap dancing construction workers in New York!  lol

Anyone seen the New York Construction Tap Dancers???  Are we taking a step backwards?  Thoughts?
I think it's fine. Any addition is better than no addition, and it's great to see them trying something rather than leaving the streets dead as in years past.

Guests seem to like it and that's all that matters.

Reactions: Jonathan
Thats a great idea! I personally think the Blues Brothers stage/area is ugly. I wish they'd redo it somehow and make it fit in with the surrounding area or just make it look nicer. If it was up to me, I'd continue the NY theme more. I'd also completely redo the Panasonic (Shrek) theatre, evict Shrek, redo the facade as a fancy NY Broadway theatre, and either add some sort of stage show or put in a Lights Camera Action type show or a new version of Special Effects Stage and allow the Castle Theatre and Animal Actors to be redone into attractions.

Yes, Blues Brothers needs to be relocated or junked.  I hope that Shrek will be the final venue inside the Pansonic Theater as this building and Cartooniversal need to be relocated to open up the street more.  I can imagine this will all be after Potter opens.

I don't think there's many places you can relocate either of those... If you want to open up the street, getting rid of the Blues Brothers stage and seating and covering will really open things up as well! That'd be smart. Besides, opening up that other side wouldn't do much considering there won't be through traffic to the Studio Tour because of Hogsmeade in the way. But opening up the area where Blues Brothers is located is a lot better, since there'll be more traffic that direction.

As for getting rid of the Panasonic Theater, I'd hope that they keep it. Since SES is planned to be replaced by another attraction according to the expansion plan, I'd really like for them to keep an SES-type show SOMEWHERE in the park, I think that behind the scenes type show is very important to Universal guests and especially USH. The tour is good at showing filming locations and how certain physical effects work, but for everything else, an interactive SES type show is important! And a revamped Panasonic Theatre with a New York Broadway theatre facade with a new SES show inside would be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Krusty
As much as I love the movie, I wouldn't mind seeing the Blues Brothers "hit the road." I agree with Allen that there needs to be some sort of behind the scenes show for the general guests who have interest in movie making. As a film student, even I was surprised at how the night-time city background was added to that shot in Heroes that the current SES shows. On the flip side, with digital and green screen being the trends in the big movies, it really limits what type of behind the scenes stuff can be shown to a live audience that you can build a show around. 

As much as I love the movie, I wouldn't mind seeing the Blues Brothers "hit the road." I agree with Allen that there needs to be some sort of behind the scenes show for the general guests who have interest in movie making. As a film student, even I was surprised at how the night-time city background was added to that shot in Heroes that the current SES shows. On the flip side, with digital and green screen being the trends in the big movies, it really limits what type of behind the scenes stuff can be shown to a live audience that you can build a show around.
And yet the original SES was so tight and was hilarious! It has to do with an intimate setting maybe? I'm not sure. But we need something smaller and funnier than the current show, more along the lines the old SES or Florida's horror makeup show. The Panasonic Theatre would be great for this I think. There also needs to he more audience participation like in the old days. It was so much fun when the audience got to be in the scenes or filming whole screen tests. If they had that now and incorporated selling the clips so you can out them on YouTube or sell you DVDs, it'd be awesome.

Reactions: BruceTheShark
I feel that WWoHP needs a back door entrance behind Cartooniversal.  Although I don't think this will happen, it would make for an interesting walk to the Studio Tour if we are also allowed to walk between FJ and Hogsmead.  I think the culdesac idea is very poor.  I hope there are more exit points for traffic.

I just don't think Hollywood is good at staging shows anymore. It's a shame, but I can't name a recent show that's generated universal acclaim. If anything, they've shown that they're not willing to push any boundaries.

And yet the original SES was so tight and was hilarious! It has to do with an intimate setting maybe? I'm not sure. But we need something smaller and funnier than the current show, more along the lines the old SES or Florida's horror makeup show.
If it makes you feel any better, today's Special Effects show was pretty good. A bunch of ad-libbing which made it reminiscent of the older performance downstairs.

Today (Sunday, March 2) I stopped outside of the International Market during the Can-Can post-show photo op to ask why there was only one dancer there today. It turns out, the Can-Can show closed today. And this isn't a temporary situation like Waterworld going down a month for updates. The dancer and Gendarme both said it was done after today. While the show was never a high priority during my park visits, it was always nice to know there was some street entertainment on French Street. It was a short, high-energy show and I hope something gets added to that side of the Upper Lot when Minion Mayhem opens. That side of the park has been pretty empty since T2-3D closed.

Speculation:

With the Can-Can show closing, there's a distinct lack of street entertainment from French Street to Baker Street. I haven't seen the British Invasion dancers since last spring, leaving the piano player and occasional buskers along Baker Street as the remaining entertainment. I wonder if there will be a Despicable Me street show coming with the opening of the new ride. I know there was a little Minion street show at the Orlando park when Minion Mayhem opened there. Maybe there's something in the works planned for USH too? Anyways, this is just speculation on my part. I do hope the park brings back some street entertainment now that the Can-Can show is over.