Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

I doubt it. You're probably right about Nintendo not wanting to be associate with that, and I do not think there is anyone IP's to associate with alcohol

Wizarding World sells alchohol. Not sure if I understand your post but Rowling seems to be ok with booze being sold in there but not Coke.

Wizarding World sells alchohol. Not sure if I understand your post but Rowling seems to be ok with booze being sold in there but not Coke.

I'm saying that Nintendo probably won't want alcohol because they are very family-friendly

J.K. Rowling is a completely different thing from Nintendo. Alcohol has always been present in the Harry Potter books. It's even insinuated that Butterbeer has some sort of intoxicating properties. When it comes to Super Mario, Nintendo is going to have very specific rules that Universal must abide by, I'm sure. Heck, we're talking about a company that still uses friend codes to play online with people you know, they are super conservative. 

Universal had to heavily woo Nintendo to the point of using an extensive bit of money to design concepts as a way of showing them what they can spring to life. When Tokyo got the 2020 Olympics, that was a perfect opening. I'm not sure if this would've still happened otherwise TBH.

So if you thought HP was incredible, Nintendo is going to be absolutely mind-blowing.

They could also do a shooting game ride based off Kid Icarus Uprising. Because think of the preshow with Palutena & Pit mentioning specific rides from the different parks?

They could also do a shooting game ride based off Kid Icarus Uprising. Because think of the preshow with Palutena & Pit mentioning specific rides from the different parks?

From my understanding most parks are trying to avoid gun-style shooting games when it comes to interactive attractions. If we saw something like that, it'd most likely be done in a way that didn't encourage holding on to a gun/blaster.

With the demolition of Soundstages 22-25, it's time to expand on how this affects Nintendo Land. (This is going to be long. Forgive me!)

We all know the first Nintendo Land will be going into Universal Studios Japan in 2020, so that's the best place for reference. The rumored area can be seen in maps posted previously in this forum (by Chris and Zero56 on page 6), but I'm not sure they're entirely correct. I saw a map on a Japanese site that doesn't include the big building in the lower left corner of their maps, which currently houses a 4D theater. Normally, I'd say whatever to that, but it's one of the venues of the Universal Cool event and they're already losing one venue which houses two different attractions. This is a huge event that lasts six months - and it has A LOT of sponsorship - so I'm not completely onboard with it losing 80% of its offerings. Without that building, this kinda-heart-shaped area is about 210,000 square feet (I don't do acreage because the numbers are too small). So this is a pretty good indication of how big the basic site will be since we know how much Universal likes plopping down exact clones.

We also know the final Nintendo Land will be going into Universal Studios Florida. Presumably so they can figure out what's working, what's not, and then plus it up so it's the BEST Nintendo Land of the three. The original rumor was the KidZone area, which is weirdly similar in shape to the heart-shaped Japan plot. There's extra land at the top of the "heart" here, making this area about 275,000sf. This includes a lot of backstage stuff, including what I think is a parade float building. Removing that and the area is still 220,000sf, which is still bigger than USJ's site. This, of course, doesn't include the rumor of a possible extension into the land between The Simpsons and MIB, but USH most likely wouldn't get any extra stuff, so we'll ignore that.

Of course, Universal hasn't committed to anything yet in Orlando. The Land could still go into the rumored Toon Lagoon area - taking over the theater and that land's main boulevard, which is oddly also about 220,000sf. I heard scuttlebutt for a bit that it was DEFINITELY going into Toon Lagoon since the Kong ride didn't elevate Islands of Adventure like they had hoped it would. But now the rumor is that IOA is getting a new Harry Potter Dragon Challenge replacement, so it obviously depends on if that gets greenlit. With Dreamworks now ready to be put somewhere, they now have a lot more options for a Toon Lagoon replacement, so I think Nintendo is finally off the drawing board here. But there's still the third park, which doesn't help us since it could be any size.

So back to USH: There has been all kind of mapping of the area where Soundstages 33-37, 41-44 and the rehearsal hall sit. That area alone - without any Mummy land - is about 200,000sf, making it the same size as the USJ plot without the 4D theater. Still ignoring Mummy, you can add in Soundstages 29 and 31 and the total is up to about 250,000sf, putting it right in the ballpark of USF's KidZone area, and it's similar to the USJ plot if the 4D theater is included. Building it out this way, the entrance to the land wouldn't be between The Mummy and Transformers but on the opposite side of Transformers, and the former Soundstage 28 land could be the Lower Lot's much-needed plaza. (The destruction of Soundstages 22-25 adds some wrinkles, which I'm posting in the Stage 28 thread.)

Yes, Nintendo Land very well could take over The Mummy, but I'm not sold. Yet. One important fact is USH's still-too-short attraction roster. I just can't see them reducing that count by a ride for two years. Furthermore, rumor has it USF is waiting for the upcoming movie reboot to make some decisions. If it's a hit, they plan to add bits from the new movie ASAP. I can't see them doing that in Florida at the same time they're tearing it down in California. Many people are ignoring one important fact about the Mummy coaster: It's based on a Universal property, which means they don't share the merchandise profit WITH ANYBODY. That, my friends, is more important that how good the ride actually is. They will be making a bunch of new Mummy merch and if it sells well, they will NOT be tearing down a merchandise-machine, which also happens to be the only non-kiddie coaster in the park. So the future of the ride has way more to do with the film than it does with Nintendo.

Will the film do well? The darker tone is what's selling now, but it's still a Tom Cruise movie, and lately he's been box office kryptonite unless his face is plastered with the words "Mission" and "Impossible". Personally, I think it's going to be a hit. I haaaaaate Tom Cruise - and I'm not a fan of Russell Crowe - but I just saw the trailer and it was pretty amazing. (IMO, I think trailers that focus on one scene rather than the ones that show a bunch of random action shots give the audience more information on it's perceived goodness. On top of that, hearing Tom Cruise scream for a minute instead of beating on people twice as big as him can't help but make you hate him a little less.) It's opening two weeks after "Pirates of the Caribbean: Yes, More of This Crap", which won't last more than two weeks. (The previous Pirates movie earned 72% of its total take before heading into its third weekend, and people were already growing tired of the series.) "Wonder Woman" opens the week after, but I don't think it's going to be that massive. First, it's a "woman" so a lot of superhero fanboys will stay away. Plus, it's DC and all the DC fanboys show up early. ("Superman v Batman" got nearly 65% of its total take in its FIRST weekend.) AND, the DC movies have all been pretty awful lately. The big movie the following weekend is "Cars 3" which is a completely different audience. The following week it'll be "Transformers: Seriously?" and Michael Bay has his own sad fanboy base so those denizens of questionable taste will show up in droves. Lucky for "Mummy" these should be the only two movies fighting in the so-called "adult" category for awhile. Then it's "Despicable Me 3" with "Spider-Man: Hopefully This Won't Be the Fourth Bad Spider-Man Movie in a Row" following that. So unless "The Mummy" gets horrible reviews - or even mediocre reviews as it doesn't take much to keep people from a Tom Cruise movie - I think it'll perform well since it seems to be set, scheduling-wise. And it'll be huge overseas - as all Tom Cruise movies still are - and foreigners are the MOST important segment of the theme park tourist market. Foreign tourists spend money like crazy people, and if they spend enough in The Mummy giftshop, that thing will outlive Transformers! (Side note: Look at the theme parks each big movie represents in this timeframe: Disney, Six Flags, Universal, Disney, Universal, Universal, Universal.)

Considering Nintendo Land isn't rumored until 2021, we still have at least a year before we'll see any real movement, which gives Universal plenty of time to figure out the future of The Mummy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Screamscape has posted that the map of Universal Studios Beijing has been revealed and part of it is a mirror image of USF. Actually it's a map of the PROPOSED Beijing resort, with the parts they are building having way more detail than the future areas. Obviously this second park won't be a Universal Studios Florida clone, as some of the stuff from USF will obviously appear in this first park, with Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley both supposedly making an appearance. One would also think Transformers would also appear here since one of the movies apparently turned into a commercial for China and Chinese products (which I know of due to the excellent Honest Trailers). Shrek has been popular in Singapore, so that may show up here also. And there's an Egyptian-themed section in the artwork, which suggests The Mummy is not dead yet. 

Since the second park will obviously NOT be a complete clone of USF, one has to wonder why the buildings in USF's KidZone are completely different. Especially when the Disaster building is still the old Disaster building and not the half-built Fast & Furious. There's no reason to put new buildings in concept art that has absolutely no chance of being replicated. It seems like Universal Creative just needed to include a map of a park that would fit in that plot of land and this map filled the bill. A map that was created before Fast & Furious was greenlit. A map maybe created to show some Nintendo executives where a Nintendo Land would go? The building situation seems to match, as recent patents suggest a Mario Kart ride, a Donkey Kong Country ride and possibly an interactive theater attraction.

I measured the buildings as best I could - the largest is pretty close in size to ET, with the second-largest not that much smaller. The buildings sit next to each other in an L-shape, with one side being about 650' long and the other side about 550'. There is NO way that will fit into the area that has just been leveled. The distance from the edge of this lot to Transformers is only about 400'.

The other side of Transformers - the rumored area for Nintendo Land - ALSO doesn't fit! I posted previously that Nintendo Land will be about 200,000 square feet and those projections match the Beijing map. This area only gets to 200,000sf if Soundstages 29 and 31 are included, or if The Mummy goes away. The problem with either of these solutions is that Universal won't be able to plop down an exact copy. If they plop down the L here, and the only way to do so would be to have one end of the L where The Mummy currently sits and to have the other end in Soundstages 39 and 31. Except the little courtyard that sits between the buildings, something seen in both the map and the concept art, would now be Transformers. 

So the only way to fit Nintendo down here is to break up the buildings, though that goes against their usual MO. But even if they did, they're still a weird fit. The Soundstages behind Transformers aren't big enough to be replaced by either of the large buildings. The long building would fit, so I flipped the map, and the bigger ride building would also fit next to it, exactly like on the map. It would take up most of the space where Soundstages 43, 44, 37 and the Rehearsal Hall sit.. The smaller ride building would be the only one that would have to move, replacing The Mummy. (The smaller ride building isn't really all that much smaller than the larger ride building. Instead of being basically rectangular with some additions to the facade, the "smaller" ride building looks like two intersecting rectangles, which probably means the larger rectangle is the ride building and the smaller rectangle will be the queue and gift shop exit. So, in theory, the ride and queue could probably fit in the current Mummy building, with the gift shop being built in a different configuration.) The other ride building is basically the same size as The Mummy, and it could probably fit in there with the other building taking the far corner, but that would require even more finagling of the construction plan. Still, unlike the cloning of the project, either of these configurations do allow for the required courtyard, but I think the entrance would still be over by Soundstage 28, as I don't think they'd bother tearing down The Mummy ride building to build another ride building similar in size. And I don't see the entrance being this narrow walkway, though they could totally demolish The Mummy and rebuild it solely to create an entrance here.

So I was feeling all smart because there's still the issue of why Soundstages 22-25 and why now? To move the Studio Tour down here! And then Nintendo Land could be built where the Tour sits now! Except I measured it and it's nowhere near large enough, even with the garage area included. We're a good 50,000sf short. And Diagon Alley is about the same size - without Kings Cross - so that's not fitting down here either. So the next question that arises is: Is Universal going to actually add park space to this side of the park? Of course it'd require raising the mountain or lowering it down to the level of the really-old Special Effects Stages, which is land that was once earmarked for a "Future Attraction". If you wander behind the Tram Garage and roll down that hill, you'd land in the old Stage area. That's an extremely odd-shaped land. BUT, if they raised the area where the solar panels sit, and ONLY the area where they sit, it wouldn't be a monumental job AND it would get the area well over 200,000sf.It would also make the old Special Effects Stages reachable by one more Starway from this new land. And I think Starways to shows would be more tolerable than Starways to other lands or attractions (and it would open up a plot for another Simpsons ride! Though if they're going to raise some land, they should just raise as much as they can so they aren't worrying about the same kind of crap a decade or two down the road.

Okay, so Nintendo Land is coming, most likely, in 2021. Which means we need to see movement on it in early 2019. Which means whatever is happening in the new plot of land needs to start RIGHT NOW, because it needs to be done by then, or even earlier if it's the start of a chain-reaction situation,

I was on the Studio Tour today and we drove right through the theme park expansion site next to/ behind the Lower Lot. Our guide hinted/ speculated that it will be Nintendo Land. Knowing the layout of the Lower Lot, I'd imagine the entrance would be to the left of Transformers and the land would be built next to and behind the ride. Seems to be the most likely bet at this point.

I wouldn't put any stock into what the Studio Tour guides say is going into that specific expansion plot. Some say Nintendo, others say DreamWorks, Secret Life of Pets, Diagon Alley etc.

SNW will not be located on SS22-25/28.

Also, perhaps it may be a good idea to rename both the two threads pertaining to Nintendo for USH and UOR, as they were both confirmed in the sense that it's happening back in November.

Edit: Setted up a proper thread, for specific talking of the Osaka version of SNW, as it has already been announced and has been given concept art.

Super Nintendo World - Osaka | Inside Universal Forums

Last edited:
As Alex said, with the land currently being dug into do... Future park expansion, yes. Nintendo Land? No. Nintendo is rumored to go partially where Mummy is and occupy the soundstages behind / to the right of Transformers.

Sorry for the double post but it's relevant and worth the bump in my opinion. Could this be close to what ends up coming to Hollywood? The rendering in the video is nearly identical to the concept art that was released a few months ago which I find interesting.

I'm curious to see what other Nintendo attractions the land has because after watching that video it looks like they should have called it Super Mario World instead.

I'm curious to see what other Nintendo attractions the land has because after watching that video it looks like they should have called it Super Mario World instead.
According to the discussion in the other thread, if I've followed all of the current rumors correctly, I believe Osaka will have Mario Kart and Yoshi, Orlando will be the largest with Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi, and the only thing for certain for Hollywood at the moment is Mario Kart.

According to the discussion in the other thread, if I've followed all of the current rumors correctly, I believe Osaka will have Mario Kart and Yoshi, Orlando will be the largest with Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi, and the only thing for certain for Hollywood at the moment is Mario Kart.

Depending on how much of the Mummy building is used for Nintendo Hollywood could get either Japan's or Orlandos. Japan is about 6 acres, The plot of land being used in Hollywood (including mummy) is about 8 acres, the same size as Orlando.

Last edited:

Most likely will get Yoshi.

I keep seeing this thrown around but... Super Nintendo World = completely unique title. Super Mario World = same title as SNES game. Going with a completely unique title is a smarter move IMO.

I keep seeing this thrown around but... Super Nintendo World = completely unique title. Super Mario World = same title as SNES game. Going with a completely unique title is a smarter move IMO.

It'd be like Potter phase one being named Hogwarts, the SNW name can be used as a brand name for all the lands.