Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Super Nintendo World - Hollywood (General Discussion)

Yeah, except no. The Mushroom Kingdom area will only be slightly smaller than the Japan version (missing the Yoshi ride elements mostly). It's easy to gawk at pictures we don't understand but at least keep in mind that this land was designed to be compact.
I understand the concept, and the multi levels. I've been following this project since it's public inception. But, bottom line, the SNW planned for Kidzone, before it was aborted at the last minute, was 7 to 8 acres. This is about one third or one fourth of that. That's not a little smaller, it's considerably smaller. It's going to be one nice E ticket plus some extras, but certainly nowhere near the scope of what people were expecting when the Universal pitch to Nintendo came out, or even the original concept art that came out after the announcement. Will this be a nice addition. sure it will. It's better than no Mario E ticket ride plus sundries. But it falls far short of expectations back then. The curse of not much land available in Hollywood, and even Japan to a degree, has lessened what this could have been at this point in time. Future expansions, maybe, but Phase 2's don't always materialize in the theme park world......If this small space was all that Orlando was getting for the SNW Land at the new park, I'd guess that most everyone on this site would be quite disappointed.

Last edited:
I understand the concept, and the multi levels. I've been following this project since it's public inception. But, bottom line, the SNW planned for Kidzone, before it was aborted at the last minute, was 7 to 8 acres. This is about one third or one fourth of that. That's not a little smaller, it's considerably smaller. It's going to be one nice E ticket plus some extras, but certainly nowhere near the scope of what people were expecting when the Universal pitch to Nintendo came out, or even the original concept art that came out after the announcement. Will this be a nice addition. sure it will. But it falls far short of expectations back then. The curse of not much land available in Hollywood, and even Japan to a degree, has lessened what this could have been at this point inn time. Future expansions, maybe, but Phase 2's don't always materialize......If this was all that Orlando was getting for the SNL at the new park, I'd guess that most everyone on this site would be quite disappointed.

If you want to talk about what was planned for Orlando (and whatever bluesky concepts were leaked), the Orlando section of these boards is more fitting. This is Hollywood, this is what's getting built, this is the plan that was approved by Universal Creative, Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamoto. They've been on a roll at USH. Dreamworks Theater is fun, Dark Arts is amazing, hearing amazingly refreshing things about Jurassic World and SLOP. I have no reason to be upset that the land is not as big as an unrealized version that was rumored for a park on the other side of the country...

It's very likely that the direction of the land changed. I don't think that's a crazy concept.

With how Osaka's is progressing quite nicely; and the advances USH are making with Jurassic and Pets (not even mentioning how deeply involved Miyamoto is seemingly being with the projects at UPR and Illumination), I have no reason to be fearful of this version.

There’s enough room for two rides in Hollywood. We laid over Japan and KidsZone plans a few weeks back for fun to see what fits. While it’ll take some reconfiguring, I can definitely see Mario Kart and Donkey Kong going here. It’s the quick service location and Yoshi I imagine that are cut. But with Secret Life of Pets ride rumored to use a similar ride system as Yoshi anyway, I think Donkey Kong and Mario Kart are the better fit for Hollywood.

It’s hard to tell from far away zoomed in photos, but I think the piece of land looks bigger than we’re giving it credit for.

There’s enough room for two rides in Hollywood. We laid over Japan and KidsZone plans a few weeks back for fun to see what fits. While it’ll take some reconfiguring, I can definitely see Mario Kart and Donkey Kong going here. It’s the quick service location and Yoshi I imagine that are cut. But with Secret Life of Pets ride rumored to use a similar ride system as Yoshi anyway, I think Donkey Kong and Mario Kart are the better fit for Hollywood.

It’s hard to tell from far away zoomed in photos, but I think the piece of land looks bigger than we’re giving it credit for.
Alexander did a measurement a month or two ago. I think it was around 2 acres , or 3 acres at the most.Maybe he could pull it back up.

Keep in mind, the satellite images were from November; and it's a bit blurry..but it should clock in at 2.58 acres, on just the plots already being used.

upload_2019-4-14_20-24-8.png

I do want to stress, that it's going to be different once we get something more accurate. And that I am going to throw out in guessing, that we aren't exactly done with them getting space for Nintendo.

Most likely, they'd have about an acre of land; but to just bring up, Japan has an attraction that is about .18 acres of space in Minion Park. And Pets for Hollywood is clocking in at close to .5 acres (if not, slightly more than that).

Keep in mind, the satellite images were from November; and it's a bit blurry..but it should clock in at 2.58 acres, on just the plots already being used.

View attachment 9340

I do want to stress, that it's going to be different once we get something more accurate. And that I am going to throw out in guessing, that we aren't exactly done with them getting space for Nintendo.
Thanks. That's what I thought it was.....I like what UC has been doing with the Hollywood Park. Lot's of nice additions to take it to the next level. I just thought they'd try to make more room for a super star IP like Nintendo.

Thanks. That's what I thought it was.....I like what UC has been doing with the Hollywood Park. Lot's of nice additions to take it to the next level. I just thought they'd try to make more room for a super star IP like Nintendo.

As I somewhat said, it's sometimes not the size of something; but how it's used. Minion Park, is a perfect example of Universal stretching their size for an area like that in the Osaka park (and that area clocks in at 2.59 acres for the entire area).

MK should clock in at around 1.65-1.7 acres. And it'd give Universal Hollywood about potentially .86-.89 acres of space. And that's not even considering that this thing will go multi-vertical.

As I somewhat said, it's sometimes not the size of something; but how it's used. Minion Park, is a perfect example of Universal stretching their size for an area like that in the Osaka park (and that area clocks in at 2.59 acres for the entire area).

MK should clock in at around 1.65-1.7 acres. And it'd give Universal Hollywood about potentially .86-.89 acres of space. And that's not even considering that this thing will go multi-vertical.

I'm measuring Osaka out at 3.22 acres.

Edited to correct a measuring error.

Man, Transformers show-building is reall half-assery at it's finest. They just slapped on a small billboard and called it a day.

I'm curious why Panda etc is still there, and has not been demolished to give more space to SNW.
Makes me wonder if they might use that space for another Universal Plaza type space, essentially giving the lower lot a center/hub, and making it a nice space to pass through to get to SNW.

I'm curious why Panda etc is still there, and has not been demolished to give more space to SNW.
Um... because Transformers & Mummy still exist down there. and it (along with Studio Cafe/Mummy Treats) is the ONLY option for guests to get food. Not to mention that entire area is the ONLY restrooms for guests on the Lower Lot. But yea, sure, lets just demolish everything down there so guests have to go back up the Starway for food/bathroom.

Um... because Transformers & Mummy still exist down there. and it (along with Studio Cafe/Mummy Treats) is the ONLY option for guests to get food. Not to mention that entire area is the ONLY restrooms for guests on the Lower Lot. But yea, sure, lets just demolish everything down there so guests have to go back up the Starway for food/bathroom.

Whoa who pissed in your cheerios? No need to be so snarky.

Yeah and um... none of that could be relocated or anything huh ;)

If the last 5 or 6 years have taught us anything it's that USH are quite prepared to just demolish and rebuild. Plus I wouldn't be too surprised if yes they do plan to 'demolish everything' so they can bring a cohesiveness to the lower lot like they have with the upper lot - Universal Boulevard, plaza etc.