Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 126 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But I imagine within the context of the USJ park it's a nice addition, just as Fallon was to USF and Dreamworks Theater was to USH.
I'd take Yoshi over Fallon immediately.

But your ultimate point is, of course, correct.

It’s a C ticket children’s dark ride
Plenty of adults are going to enjoy it for what it is.

While I agree it could be more (this is Nintendo, in a way surprised they didn't more indoor scenes) I also rather this than screens like FF and Jimmy Fallen. I can watch screens at home at least we have AA's here they looks great and feel right out of the games. I'm in the middle. I just wish it had an ending scene inside but still for what it is, its cool I like the music the one inside scene is to me VERY cool and the views I'm sure are nice and at night the right might feel more "complete" but we will have to wait to see if that is true.

Reactions: belloq87 and Nico
Except Yoshi/SLOP wouldn’t fit into Fallon’s spot (I don’t think?). It’s a very tight space and imo, they did the best that they could do with the limited space they had available to work with.

I didn't mean literally swap one out for the other.

I just meant that one ride appeals to me more than the other.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I actually really enjoy the ride, especially Captain Toad in the end. That, to me, is a decently articulated figure that gets the job done. I think the place where it falters, and I have to agree unfortunately, is the interior sequencing. I think the three rides that I enjoy and most closely emulate this one, TTA Peoplemover, the High In The Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride, and Heimlich's, all get around the limited motion AAs in different and (IMHO) more effective ways.

Peoplemover doesn't really showcase "characters" at all, and that's what this ride does so well - the scenic views. If I were to ding Peoplemover for one thing, it's the lady in the hairdresser machine. We all know that she isn't getting her hair done, and a simple screen in the little graphic circle would really help the scene out. But there's no attempt, really, to bring characters to life in that ride aside from the voiceovers, which I think are actually quite effective.

Heimlich's biggest flaw was the sculpted face of Heimlich. But you can't really see the face while on the ride, which made it a little better. The scenic elements were flat and, while there ought to have been one less, I think that This is definitely the least great of the rides, mainly because there is no vista to distract from the paltry scenic. I'm a sucker for smells though.

The Seuss version of this, I think, is very successful - so long as you don't get the "Seuss Sounds" soundtrack - as it manages to tell a full story, features characters that are generally of the same caliber as they are throughout the land (a positive for me, perhaps a negative for others - no unrealistic expectations), and brings some really great Seuss energy to the land. I don't even think the limited Sneech motion is distracting, considering that most of the land is stylized in the same way. The only ding here are the sight-lines, I think, where you see show buildings and such you oughtn't to. Still, this is my favorite version of this kind of attraction in Orlando... once again, as long as you get the story track...

I think Yoshi is successful - the land is absolutely gorgeous. The main problem is that the interior scene has to contend with the stunning you-are-thereness of the rest of the land. Many figures that are visible from off-ride move more fluidly and impressively, to me, than the Yoshi interior figures (I like Kamek, actually, i think it works well). The ride pays off on seeing "Mario's Yoshi", and I think that they ought to have done a little better to have given him some more movement. I honestly think the Yoshi wandering in the elements outdoors (and the incredible success of the limited-motion "tongue Yoshi" reaching out to grab fruit) is more impressive, that's all. It's just jarring to me to see the outdoor figures being more impressive than the interior ones. I think that doing a walking Yoshi, as is done outdoors, would have been really great to see. Otherwise, a real success. I think that seeing the interactive in action will be another major boon to the attraction.

CHEW CHEW TRAIN!? Chew Chew Train was barely above the trains they have at a mall. This is chock full of animated figures and has interactivity. That’s an exceptionally bad comparison
If you say so. Chew Chew Train with the most basic Yoshi AAs seems accurate enough to me.

I see it as basically the Chew Chew train now, but I didn't expect a ride like that with all the hype and comparisons to potter quality.
Honestly, my first thought was this feels like a Sally Corp ride that could be in any park. Saying it's for kids feels like a cop out tbh.

Two points here... first, I don’t remember anybody talking about yoshi being potter level quality. Mushroom kingdom? Hell yeah, and from what I’ve seen, it exceeds Wizarding World Hogsmeade in its immersion. Look, even Harry Potter has hippogriff — A ride for kids who can’t go on forbidden journey. They even cloned hippogriff to every other hogsmeade, rather than come up with a new family attraction, because it works well. Yoshi honestly works better in its environment. An iron Rollercoaster next to hogs Meade where you pass one animatronic before going up an obvious tire drive lift hill is far less immersive than what we’ve seen of Yoshi.

My second point is this. Since when has having rides for the little ones been frowned upon or a cop out? When I was a kid at Universal Hollywood, the only “ride” I had was the ET adventure. If Yoshi were in the park, it would’ve been my second fave or even surpassed it with its liveliness. Hard to tell what I would’ve thought back then haha.

Disney has had rides for smaller children for years that really allow the grandparents and toddlers to ride things together while older kids and adults ride the bigger rides. The creative team honestly did a great job. Just having a slow moving Yoshi ride around the perimeter of the mushroom kingdom would’ve sufficed, but they added interactivity, figures and scenes that add to the experience.

I mean would we rather have this, or a Vekoma Rollerskate with Yoshi Cars, a static figure or two and a captain toad statue ala gadgets go coaster. I’m pleased with the decision they made :)

If you say so. Chew Chew Train with the most basic Yoshi AAs seems accurate enough to me.

That’s not even close to accurate. Chew chew ran a busbar over plain concrete, with a few food decorations, not even full set pieces, and was about a minute and a half long. Yoshi is an indoor/outdoor omnimover through crafted environments, and show scenes populated by figures. A last minute cheap addition to DCA to give something for kids to do couldn’t even hold a candle to this well designed C Ticket children’s ride designed to add to the land it resides in.

Sorry, felt the need to stick up for the designers on this one.
*getting off my soapbox now*

I mean - it’s completely better than Toy Story Land, I think we can all agree.
Oh dear lord yes lol. Yoshi alone is better than TSL minus MWM. No one was arguing that though.

We haven’t seen the main attraction yet and while maybe some slight disagreements on Yoshi everyone has been beyond please with everything, everyone take a deep breathe haha.

Man, I was not expecting this much argument all because someone isn't a fan of the indoor section. Sheesh.

Eh, we're humans. We're born to argue, haha.
Agreed. I'm just not impressed is all. Maybe I was just expecting too much and I wanted to see Universal really knock it all out of the park considering the IP they're working with.

Two points here... first, I don’t remember anybody talking about yoshi being potter level quality. Mushroom kingdom? Hell yeah, and from what I’ve seen, it exceeds Wizarding World Hogsmeade in its immersion. Look, even Harry Potter has hippogriff — A ride for kids who can’t go on forbidden journey. They even cloned hippogriff to every other hogsmeade, rather than come up with a new family attraction, because it works well. Yoshi honestly works better in its environment. An iron Rollercoaster next to hogs Meade where you pass one animatronic before going up an obvious tire drive lift hill is far less immersive than what we’ve seen of Yoshi.

My second point is this. Since when has having rides for the little ones been frowned upon or a cop out? When I was a kid at Universal Hollywood, the only “ride” I had was the ET adventure. If Yoshi were in the park, it would’ve been my second fave or even surpassed it with its liveliness. Hard to tell what I would’ve thought back then haha.

Disney has had rides for smaller children for years that really allow the grandparents and toddlers to ride things together while older kids and adults ride the bigger rides. The creative team honestly did a great job. Just having a slow moving Yoshi ride around the perimeter of the mushroom kingdom would’ve sufficed, but they added interactivity, figures and scenes that add to the experience.

I mean would we rather have this, or a Vekoma Rollerskate with Yoshi Cars, a static figure or two and a captain toad statue ala gadgets go coaster. I’m pleased with the decision they made :)

I definitely think potter level has been thrown around pretty often. I think they succeeded on that front with the land itself.

Imo FotH succeeds in what it sets out to do with a level of theming that seems appropriate. I don't think that by virtue of just having AAs the Yoshi ride is great. It's 2020 and the articulation of most of the figures seems like barely an improvement over rides built by Uni over 20 years ago. The comparison to Chew Chew is obviously not about the ride system. I just think the overall impression is the same. A slow sight seeing ride not meant to blow anyone away, but nice for kids.

I would like some of what you are having if this ride is somehow equivalent to or approaching ET's quality.

Not every ride needs to be amazing, but Yoshi just seems underwhelming. It's cute and adds to the energy of the land but underwhelming nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacific