Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld San Diego

Jul 16, 2013
Death Star
Here are some photos from a trip to Sea World I took a couple of days ago.

Alligator Gar

11c3vvp.jpg

Shark Encounter

2cmr6lj.jpg

Grouper 

mbjyao.jpg

Sand Tiger Shark

34xnu2x.jpg

Penguin Encounter(there are rumors of this becoming Antarctica form Orlando)

a81ts.jpg

Madagascar Live! Operation Vacation(I remember when Madagascar was at Universal)

mh9d81.jpg

Turtle Reef

wi9irc.jpg

Wild Arctic

2mzlb2r.jpg

smx3mf.jpg

3142rkn.jpg

Polar Bear was scratching his back

2m5gmzm.jpg

Journey to Atlantis

10zxyl0.jpg

2ivxpua.jpg

14taqlg.jpg

Animal Connections

24m5cew.jpg

155iio6.jpg

I wish Universal would put concept art of an upcoming attraction on the construction walls

21j6q6t.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm suprised they still haven't replaced that Penguin Encounter building. I remember walking through there 8-9 years ago. Maybe I'm just used to Universal constantly evolving?? :p

SeaWorld is a great park, but there are some seriously outdated sections. I'm sure the same could be said for Universal, but Penguin Encounter spawned the same "is this a public library/LAX" thoughts in my head as I went into the building.

I know we sometimes rag on Universal for being cheap, but if you take a closer look, you'll see some serious cash being spent on technical equipment. Knott's, SeaWorld and especially Six Flags are a tier below.

Last edited by a moderator:
But Knott's Berry Farm is looking beautiful now. Cedar Fair is seriously investing in their parks this ear

But Knott's Berry Farm is looking beautiful now. Cedar Fair is seriously investing in their parks this ear
That may be the case, but Disney and Universal both have the ability to outspend Cedar Fair. Attractions like Jurassic Park, Transformers and the Studio Tour as a whole were very expensive projects. You just don't get that level of attraction at other parks.

It's not a good or bad thing necessarily, but it is a different experience.

Disney and Universal are definitely the premiums (Disney, and I will argue this, is the highest tier), and offer truly innovative experiences.

Cedar Fair and Six Flags make amusement parks. Cedar Fair is slight notch above (I love what Ouimet is doing with Knott's), but still.

SeaWorld exists in the area between. They really, really want to duke it out with Disney and Universal but simply do not have the funds. Antarctica kinda nails it. They spend the most they can for an incredible, Disney-esque experience... only to find out that they couldn't purchase much more than the innovative tech Oceaneering offered them. The result was a (excuse the language) half-assed attraction that stupefies rather than amazes.

I completely agree. No one does it as well as Disney or Universal. Universal and Disney are equal in innovative rides in my eyes, with Disney being a bit better at theming (Universal is catching up). I do love them both equally.

I've visited Knotts once. It was a bad experience, one that I didn't enioy. I know it's cleaner and nicer now, but still, it lacked a lot of "umph" that Universal and Disney offer and i dont plan to go for a long time. You get what you pay for, as they say.

And it's a pity regarding Antarctica. Amazingly made land, from the rock work to the queue and ride vehicle. But the story and pacing of the ride? Laughable....which was unfortunate.

Wow, I haven't seen SeaWorld in ages despite living extremely close to it! I would totally visit if I wasn't terrified of sea life. Haha. I do remember Journey to Atlantis being super fun.

Oh it is but SeaWorld is losing sponsors and gaining a ton of flack regardless. I don't agree with the documentary, but I'm a little wary after the whole Bill and Ted incident.

Hopefully it'll blow over.

I commend SeaWorld for taking the public relations high road but unfortunately that kind of approach doesn't work in the media industry.