Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld San Diego

Give it time. I'm sure the other marine life will be zeroed in on after the killer whales...

And yea. Like I said, my only fear for the new dark ride is that it will try to be more educational rather than fun, but we'll have to wait for details on it. As for Antarctica, it'd be nice to see an upgraded version here because I enjoyed the one in Orlando for what it was.

I'd like to see Wild Arctic get an overhaul in some way.

No, the actual "show" is closing. They're turning it into a boring "educational experience". Of course, its not like the Shamu show has been anywhere near what it used to be for the past 10-15years, but still... If I'm paying money to go to SeaWorld, then dammit... I want to see Shamu jump through hoops for fish & soak the first 20+ rows of people. :p
According to insiders, there'll be a show elements without any of the tricks and stunts.

Which sounds... REALLY boring honestly.

Hey, go after Disneyland and Knott's. They force those horses under slave labor to haul guests all day for amuesmemt! Nobody says anything about that. I would bet ANYTHING if some numb-skull made a deceptive documentary on that, I'm sure there would be wackos that would boycott either of those two parks.

Yet here are some Orcas that are well-fed, well-taken care of, trained aerobatically and mentally in the shows (that's what the trainers claim), and yet they throw a hissy fit over that!

Oh! Oh! OH! Boycot the animal show at USH!!! Those corporate scoundrals are forcing those poor animals doing tricks in front of people and training them to amuse people! WHY THE FLYING CRAP IS NO ONE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS!? CALL PETA! CALL GLORIA ALVARED! CALL THE WHITE HOUSE! CALL BILL PAXTON! We all know he would stir up a comossion stronger than a twister that can tear up 5000 tons of concrete out of a six-lane highway.

...but hey, at least if the AA show is forcibly shut down by animal worshipers, maybe when the animals will be left to rot in the wild, they'll finally put a new ride in that spot.

I find it infuriating that so many people are just not willing to do research on this before jeapordizing a company that actually CARES about animals and supports thousands of jobs. Screw the media, screw the CCC, and SCREW the whackjobs running the state.

Had to let out a little steam about all of this hypocrisy and propaganda. All of this is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
PETA are extremists, period. I dislike extremism in any way, so that's all I'll say on the issue because... well what Jon just said. The last thing we need is attracting attention from any of their activists/supporters.

Selective political correctness & bandwagon hopping is infesting this world from every miniscule corner. Really sickening.

To slightly change the subject, I really do hope SeaWorld gets through this, and to do so, I really DO hope they start adding more and more attractions and rides, and becoming a sea THEMED theme park + aquarium/exhibit. Would be cool to make it a true theme park designation and resort.

Selective political correctness & bandwagon hopping is infesting this world from every miniscule corner. Really sickening.

To slightly change the subject, I really do hope SeaWorld gets through this, and to do so, I really DO hope they start adding more and more attractions and rides, and becoming a sea THEMED theme park + aquarium/exhibit. Would be cool to make it a true theme park designation and resort.
I won't veer off on the political bandwagon, but I agree. The issues going on are preventing that and it's quite frustrating. 

From Screamscape:

I'm not quite 100% certain about what is going on, but SeaWorld San Diego has begun to tease about 2017 plans for the park through the Twitter account for Clyde the SeaLion, with posts on Feb. 8th and Feb. 11th so far. About three months ago they hinted they were working on a “Sea Rescue” themed dark ride of some kind for 2017, and even posted a piece of concept art at the time.
I believe the announcement will be made very soon, and while I don't know exactly what it will be, I'm hearing that this will be a replacement for the old Budweiser Hospitality building area to the right of the park entrance. Of course that was a replacement for the old HBJ plaza area (with the giant map of the United States you could walk on! Who else remembers that?!) so it will be interesting to see something new added here that isn't tied to a corporate owner for once.
Here are the tweets:

I'm expecting a new Sea Lion show given San Diego's hasn't been updated in some time and the ones at the other parks are both about a year old. Maybe another Sea Lion High show?

Sea World San Diego is getting a new submarine-themed dark ride for 2017.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201602/4954/

Can't say I'm really excited about this. Sure, it's cool that SWSD is finally getting a dark ride and Ill go down there to check it out, but it looks like it's gearing strictly towards little kids. Hey, at least it should be better than Antarctica, right? 

Oh, and it's set to replace the Circle of Flags building. I always thought that could be a descent space for a dark ride. That space will also hold a wave swinger ride and a couple of other kiddie rides.

Hopefully they can use this money to build another descent coaster in a few years. 

"There will be a very large screen behind our Orca encounter stage" :unsure:

Oh yay... now the Shamu "show" will be a screen-based attraction. I am pretty much against this total educational experience crap. I miss when the whales soaked the audience. -sigh-

I'm kinda disappointed that "Ocean Explorer" will be geared towards smaller children. I feel like it should be for all ages because it sounds kinda cool. I wonder if one of the sea-base stations will be "Sea-Base Alpha" (cool points for anyone who gets my reference).

It always seems like I should post a thread that should be directly centered as an argument for screen-based attractions at ANY freaking theme park. Because to be quaint, its the largest I've seen complaints of it; :p

In any case, I'm not surprised that Ocean Explorer is more geared towards smaller children, but who knows.

"There will be a very large screen behind our Orca encounter stage" :unsure:

Oh yay... now the Shamu "show" will be a screen-based attraction. I am pretty much against this total educational experience crap. I miss when the whales soaked the audience. -sigh-

I don't see how this turns the show into a screen-based attraction. If anything, they're turning the show into a large exhibit.

I think you missed the joke & snarky sarcasm entirely. And to be fair, the Shamu show has always been a large exhibit, but now all of the fun has been removed because of the "FREE ALL ANIMALS IN CAPTIVITY" sheep...

I think you missed the joke & snarky sarcasm entirely.

Uhm, okay?

And to be fair, the Shamu show has always been a large exhibit, but now all of the fun has been removed because of the "FREE ALL ANIMALS IN CAPTIVITY" sheep...

The show lost its "fun" component after they removed all the whale-trainer interaction. The writing was on the wall, so this shouldn't come as a major surprise to anyone that's been following the situation.

Plus it's not gonna be around for much longer with the orcas not being bred anymore. Essentially this is all a temp situation for SeaWorld.

Keeping in mind though, that Orcas do live for quite some time. So even if its going to be 'Temp'. Its going to be more temp in a different category.

I'm personally curious,

Do we know a certain height that they can't go over for a coaster? Because i would love to see them try some sort of coaster like a Hyper of sorts for SWSD (it may just be me since seeing videos of Mako)..

I don't know the exact height but it's definitely under 100 feet so that will never come to be.