Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 8, 2010
Gainesville, FL
My partner and I decided to make an impromptu visit back to Tampa for the day to go back to the Lowry Park Zoo and Busch Gardens Tampa. We usually go during the cooler months, but had the time to make a day of it since we didn't do anything for the 4th and had a few days off from work.

Part 1: Lowry Park Zoo
UVNFpQz.jpg

The main reason to go to the zoo was so I could get my Tasmanian Tiger credit since it was closed the first time we came. There were also some other things we skipped last time as well. Plus we had a pay for a day, come back the rest of the year ticket so may as well take advantage of it. Fortunately the park was no where near as crowded as it was when we came in March when there were lots of school groups and kids on spring break. There were only a few summer camp groups that we noticed this time.

We arrived at opening and headed right over to the coaster. It wasn't open yet, so we went over to Safari Africa to ride Expedition Africa, which we missed the first time because it was so busy. This safari tram ride circles around the Safari Africa section and you are able to see some animals that you can't see on the normal pathways. We were the only 2 on the tram too which was nice. I felt kind of bad the driver had to go through his whole spiel just for us, but it was informative.
4yio1CS.jpg

3tvbjpO.jpg

OWbaeCK.jpg

Xzj9qAA.jpg

OjOn7rl.jpg

E5mIjCu.jpg

V6PUMO3.jpg

JvItRCI.jpg

Part 2: Lowry Park Zoo

After the ride, we went though the rest of the Safari Africa section. We enjoyed not being almost trampled by school kids while trying to view the animals as it was on our last visit. In this area they have various species of tortoise, Zebra, African Elephants, White Rhinos, Giraffes and more. Not much had changed since the last time. They are still doing work on a couple enclosures, one of which had Cheetahs.

PpWxV3P.jpg

gH3J0pZ.jpg

SqSkeoL.jpg

eILxPhv.jpg

Dt0W5gk.jpg

1U5gRPj.jpg

meoucuz.jpg

EL8qigF.jpg

fldKwsg.jpg

kwfb63t.jpg

zKQLPBO.jpg

Fsy90TG.jpg

1tecOY7.jpg

c1kcv1x.jpg

KgugxaE.jpg

GO0KpPu.jpg

f4u3UMI.jpg

JatKchP.jpg

PA2CvZ7.jpg

LLKDozB.jpg

Part 3: Lowry Park Zoo

We heard the coaster running while finishing up the African area so went ahead and walked back over to Wallaroo Station so I could get my credit. Yes, it's a kiddie coaster and I have no shame. If I'm allowed to ride it, I'm going to ride it. I wouldn't go so far to seek out a child if required however...though it's been tempting at IOA for Pteranodon Flyers...lol
okacFVO.jpg

Tasmanian Tiger is a Wisdom Rides Dragon Wagon that was originally at Wild Adventures. There was a summer camp group (about 12 total with chaperone) who were riding it with me. They normally let it cycle twice per ride. Since no one was waiting they all asked to go again. The chaperone looked my direction and asked if I wanted to and was like sure. I wouldn't have if it was just me, but stayed. After those 2 additional cycles there was still no one waiting, but I wanted off. So they asked again and the ride attendant let me off and they went about 4 more times. All I can say is....it was a credit...credit #83. It was pretty rough for a kiddie coaster, especially in downward helix (spiral). I doubt I'll ride it again unless I'm with my nieces or nephews.
uIUUjlh.jpg

EBFtIDy.jpg

oxLOgem.jpg

BO6Ptg3.jpg

zJdGCAp.jpg

Tasmanian Tiger Credit #83

After my ride we decided it was time to move on and checked to see if the Koalas were on display this time (they weren't the last time). Fortunately they were. My only complaint with the display is that you're outside and they are inside behind glass. This makes it hard to get a great picture of them with the glare on the glass even with the shade structure. I managed to get a couple. I love Koalas and hope Busch Gardens eventually gets some again in the future for Walkabout Way.
t4dk3JQ.jpg

FEOqBCK.jpg

By this point it was starting to get quite hot out. We walked though Primate World and then Asian Gardens briefly. This time they had a tiger on display. It wouldn't turn around though so I got it's backside...lol After that we decided to skip the rest since we can come back later in the year. We also skipped Dinos Alive again (which is in the park until Labor Day). It was just getting too hot and we were hungry. We went through the gift shop at the exit and I bought a park ornament to add to my collection.
z9CHd1S.jpg

y6nIKhH.jpg

jOKgbri.jpg

Once again, this was to be a short visit, so we only covered about half the park this time. I may post later on in this thread some pics from my last time that would include pics from other areas since I never did a report of that trip. After we left the zoo, we stopped to have lunch near Busch Gardens before heading in. I had Wendy's and he had Taco Bell...yum.

Part 4: Busch Gardens Tampa

We arrived about 12:30. Besides the heat, we couldn't have picked a better day to head there. I could tell from the parking lot that it wasn't too busy. I'm sure the day before was as we saw the overflow lot in front of Adventure Island had been used and they were finishing cleaning up and removing cones. There was even a car still left there in the grass (which was still there when we left the park).

Since we've been here so many times (and one of our home parks), we just decided to go left since we usually go right towards Montu. The last 2 visits to the park were during the Food & Wine Festival (not for the festival, but it was set up for) and since the removal of the Bird Gardens theater. This was the first time we were able to see the area without all the topiaries and temporary food shacks set up. That area has quite a bit of potential with the space that opened up. I could definitely see some nice flats added there to bring life to the area once again. In my absent mindedness at the time I neglected to get any pics of what I just described.

I did take some pics here and there in between riding, but no where near as many as I have in the past. Here are some from the Bird Gardens & Walkabout Way:
M0Pmm28.jpg

Hig3W8W.jpg

8YphKzx.jpg

G6ahGKF.jpg

KEGSYM3.jpg

M7h9Fb4.jpg

Here's one of those machines that makes a wax figure of an animal. There were several throughout the park.
TEkGRQY.jpg

I was so tempted to ask the Dippin' Dots folks if anything was coming to that empty spot where the theater was...and what's happening with Gwazi, Tanganyika Tidal Wave and with those trees in the back of the park. I decided not to, since I may have come off as a crazed enthusiast or something.
2osP4hW.jpg

Lory Landing seems to have gotten some sprucing up since we were at the park in March. All kinds of new paint & signage. We also noticed some touch-ups going through Jungala as well later on. You could still smell the paint.
BUphk6x.jpg

5LovHTi.jpg

eqpjjPU.jpg

RVBahpy.jpg

My first ride at the park this day was SkeiKra. The wait time said 10 minutes which was close with a 2 train wait. Since it was so short, I decided to ride again. Once this ride was through and we got back to the final block brakes, I heard the "Temporary Ride Closure" message being played. There were 2 trains in front of me in the station and one behind us that was approaching the station (total of 4). So we sat there for several minutes in the sun. I had a hand towel (sweat rag) in my cargo shorts I pulled out to put on my head. After a few more minutes I noticed some commotion with one of the passengers on the back row right of the train in front of me and a ride attendant. I then heard the ride operator in the booth make an announcement that all loose articles must be put in a locker or in one of the cubbies on the exit side or risk removal from the ride and possibly the park.

So we then knew it was that guy they were talking about. The operator then said over the speaker to please remove the hat he was sitting on and give to the attendant. He didn't want to do that. I assume he had been doing that at other rides and got away with it which is why he was being difficult. He acted as if he's not giving it to anyone and he would take it himself. It was like he didn't want the attendant to touch his hat (he was white, attendant black). I don't see it as a necessity to make him take it since I see ride attendants collect loose articles at the last minute there all the time, so something was up. So they had to release his seat so he could place his hat in the cubby and come back. He took his sweet time too. Talk about an unnecessary turn of events. It all lasted about 15 minutes.

On the way to Jungala, I noticed Tanganyika Tidal Wave was still standing with no noticeable work being done as of yet. At least it's on the edge of the park and more hidden than the big eyesore that is Gwazi. It will be nice to see something happen to this area sooner than later.

My favorite animals to view are Tigers. The one that was out was sleeping in the shade. I assume the others were put up because of heat or could be that they appear to be doing some refurbishment to the tiger enclosure. I noticed several cones in the section closest to the skyride. It definitely could use some landscape maintenance and new glass. They even had one window blocked off with a new guardrail fence which looked permanent. It was only about waist high so you could see just fine. I say if it helps keep kids hands from getting all over it to increase visibility so be it.

My next ride was Kumba, which I really like even though I don't rate it as high as many others. There was no wait in the station. I don't know if it was just a bad day, the heat, dehydration or a combination of those, but it was the worst ride I've ever had on it. I usually sit in the last row right (which was the case) and have great rides. My head just banged all about after the MCBR through the corkscrews (and yes I know how to avoid it, but still happened). It has a much needed scheduled maintenance from August 7-Sept. 1st so hopefully it will be back to normal afterwards.

We then headed into Pantopia so I could ride Falcon's Fury. There was about a 15 minute wait when I got in line. This ride just makes other drop towers I've been on tame. I would love to see more of these get built at other parks eventually. Of course then the uniqueness would be gone. The line was at about 30 minutes after I got off so I only rode it the one time.

Next we headed through Nairobi and viewed the Elephants, giant Tortoises and Jambo Junction. Then we went through the Myombe Reserve for the Gorillas and Chimpanzees.
VlCTzF9.jpg

Se9eEkq.jpg

JFEnkgq.jpg

vndNSPz.jpg

21eyEZD.jpg

esgPXEJ.jpg

wfZpj5D.jpg

7MLcFSF.jpg

Part 5: Busch Gardens Tampa

Next it was time to see about riding Cheetah Hunt. Earlier in the day I saw on one of the signs by SkeiKra that the wait time was 60 minutes, so I wasn't expecting much. However the sign at the ride said 20 so I got in line. It was more like 15 and I rode in the back row of the second train in the station. I prefer it since you get a launch from a stopped position vs. the first train which is already moving when it gets to the launch. Superb ride as always. It's still my 2nd favorite in the park. The line got much longer after my ride, so I didn't ride again.
e4T5uR7.jpg

We then headed to Cobra's Curse. It had a 30 minute wait posted so I skipped it in favor of riding Montu (my fav in the park). Still great as always, but my body was starting to wear down from being out in that heat. I know I drank a minimum of 4 bottles of water while there (2 I brought in and refilled at a water fountain), but it may still not have been enough. I did get some pics of Cobra's Curse after Montu. It is quite photogenic and I love how they incorporated the walkways.
8EzUJUk.jpg

M9XkVO4.jpg

ZXiMW8J.jpg

dxlaB4D.jpg

51ixKZ4.jpg

12iWMKl.jpg

H2DnRZo.jpg

5mBILKo.jpg

rBzKT6P.jpg

wryLdSV.jpg

Part 6: Busch Gardens Tampa

We then decided to head through Edge Of Africa to see the animals and then take the Skyride across the park.
5zkzU3z.jpg

SdaFFOx.jpg

j0lpDQv.jpg

uLr9OWn.jpg

Cheetah Hunt from the Skyride:
lsOeaf5.jpg

43XTAQ4.jpg

2c3jrra.jpg

SheiKra from the Skyride:
dG4oF18.jpg

Gwazi from the Skyride:
phjXE13.jpg

Montu & Cobra's Curse from the Skyride:
plljWBr.jpg

Sand Serpent from the Skyride:
This view will be quite different next year if they actually enclose it.
IqHGBpy.jpg

Falcon's Fury from the Skyride:
bd09HgA.jpg

Kumba from the Skyride:
EnegOS4.jpg

Stanley Falls from the Skyride:
zK8ufTw.jpg

After the Skyride we went and got on the Serengeti Railway at the Stanleyville Station. We planned on just riding it all the way around, but they announced that this train was going out of service after the Nairobi station and that we could catch the next one when it arrives there. So we just rode it to Nairobi. We were able to see some animals from the train like Zebra, Ostrich and a Black Rhino. We decided not to wait for the next train since we were pretty much ready to go (and it was only about 6:30). For pass members they were offering a buy one, get one entree 50% off after 5PM (during July), but decided to just leave and eat somewhere on the way home.
k5QIWps.jpg

IpR6qpG.jpg

jloAuTI.jpg

Cobra's Curse from the train:
3okJ7v0.jpg

Overall we had a nice day. This day trip however reminded us why we usually only go in the late fall-early spring. Besides the heat, the rain actually held off until after we left. We saw storm clouds approaching as we got in the car to leave. Perfect timing.