Taste of Universal at USH | Inside Universal Forums

Taste of Universal at USH

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Universal Studios Hollywood has announced a new “Taste of Universal” food festival that will be held inside the park on weekends beginning March 12

I gotta say, I feel like this and Disney’s events are late to the game. These should have started the same time as Knotts started doing their event. Pay $45 for no attractions when the parks are expected to reopen in several months. Seems like a no brainer to me. I’ll wait and use the money towards an AP.

Reactions: Freak
Sure they could've done it sooner, but the increased delay also helps drum up interest for it opening and getting some of the employees back to work.

My biggest concern is that they bring people back, it becomes a dud, and then people end up laid off again.

I wonder logistics-wise if it's possible for USH to have dining options near some of the outdoor sets? I haven't been to USH but if I could hang out in the town square of Gremlins and Back to the Future, that'd get my attention.

Disney actually couldn't have done it any sooner than when they started to open Buena Vista Street. They had union issues and only came to an agreement finally in Late October/Early November or so I believe.

I'm split....I want to go but mainly to support them. I think the event on paper sounds fine...but hopefully they have ways to make this more special feeling.

I'll wait for reviews but most likely will go

Can someone clearfy this "Adult tickets include 5 menu selections" So I cpuld get any 5 items from any place, it could be only 5 entree ( hamburgers, sandwiches etc. ) Or mix it up entrees and sides ( nachos, cupcake etc.) ?

Last edited:
I believe so. Also, my husband notice that in the fine print, which I've posted below:

Adult ticket includes five (5) menu selections from available menu of entrees, snacks,desserts, and beverages, excluding alcoholic beverages, pre-packaged food and candy, food/drinks sold in souvenir items, retail merchandise, Starbucks and Universal CityWalk Hollywood. Child ticket includes three (3) menu selections. Additional menu items can be purchased at menu pricing (alcoholic beverages will only be available for purchase in the same transaction as a designated meal item). Food/Beverage items must be redeemed on the day of your Event visit at select participating in park restaurants or food carts. Menu items are subject to availability and may change without notice.

The phrase, "Additional menu items can be purchased at menu pricing (alcoholic beverages will only be available for purchase in the same transaction as a designated meal item)," seems to imply you can by additional items if you use up your five, it just may cost you more. It also implies most items will be costing around $8-9 bucks, if you divide $45 by 5 (rounding a bit). But if, say, chips only cost $3, it may be better to buy them outright and save your tasting card for more expensive items.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I wonder logistics-wise if it's possible for USH to have dining options near some of the outdoor sets? I haven't been to USH but if I could hang out in the town square of Gremlins and Back to the Future, that'd get my attention.

It wouldn’t work unfortunately. The Universal lot, as well as the other majors around town, have been pretty busy again. I have some friends working shows there right now. They’d also have to rent the set away from productions to secure it, which would would be a cost they probably don’t want to shell out since this isn’t going to have the revenue stream of an HHN event. I would love it too, but sadly I don’t see it happening :/

So watched some video's the Cons on they did what Disney would do..and not extra decorations. I don't know how Knotts gets a bigger budgets for these events than other companies with billions but no too much different from the normal parks. There are some cars out but wish they did a little more.

But lets go to the Positives You can now eat where they do the Potter outside show and get a great view of the castle while you eat, Donkey is out and as always one of the best characters you can meet, you can see the SLOP building/store and also the new Minions cafe is open. You can walk down and take pictures of Nintendoland which is cool and heard on Friday they people in very early to help make crowds smaller.

So its a cool little event..I would have just had more things that are unique out but thats just me.

My only question is just can you get Buzz Cola I don't see it on the online menu.

Looking at the videos, it's kind of interesting seeing the amount of capacity. If that's how things are going to be once the park reopens in April, things are gonna be nice and quiet (albeit closer to off season days before Potter).

Looking at the videos, it's kind of interesting seeing the amount of capacity. If that's how things are going to be once the park reopens in April, things are gonna be nice and quiet (albeit closer to off season days before Potter).
I'd assume pretty close day one. Hopefully rides aren't that hard to get on without a long wait and hope SLOP is open soon because that ride is perfect to go get a ticket for an ride other things.

I'd assume pretty close day one. Hopefully rides aren't that hard to get on without a long wait and hope SLOP is open soon because that ride is perfect to go get a ticket for an ride other things.

Honestly, with Jurassic World, Pets, and Forbidden Journey all being large capacity eaters; it should be easy for the crowds to be smaller outside wise. That said, I am interested to when the Lower Lot reopens for Taste of Universal, to see how far down they'll allow people to be at.

Honestly, with Jurassic World, Pets, and Forbidden Journey all being large capacity eaters; it should be easy for the crowds to be smaller outside wise. That said, I am interested to when the Lower Lot reopens for Taste of Universal, to see how far down they'll allow people to be at.
The Tram as well.

I'm going next week so hopefully by then they let us into more area's if not its fine...I have an AP and will be there in April if they let me

Went today. It was mixed for me. While I enjoyed many things, there's a number of things that need work.

Pros:
  • Obviously getting into the park at all is a biggie after a year.
  • Most staff is very helpful, and queues for stores are very organized--stores never felt crowded at all; in fact, it was kind of wild to be in such empty stores.
  • Park never really felt very crowded in pathways, and tables were generally easy to find (although a bit harder at Hogsemeade and Hollywood & Dine during peak periods).
  • Wand stations are open in Hogsmeade, and it's great to see a finished Pet's Place area. There's lots of details to see and hear.
  • On the whole, guests were good about keeping masks on when not eating.

Cons:
  • Food could use more variety.
  • Many key spots had very long and slow moving lines--many food locations felt understaffed.
  • Food quality could be better, most notably items that should be hot were coming out lukewarm at best. Worse, the "Elote" corn, which is advertised with a white cream sauce in the promotional picture, only had chili power on it and came with two small lime wedges... no white sauce at all.
  • Many items (mostly desserts) were running out as the day went on, but there was no one to tell anyone in line that items were out, nor were menus changed to reflect that.
  • Many queues got so long, there were no more "stand here" stickers on the ground to guide the lines, so they just kind of had no real crowd control. The crowd pretty much managed it well on their own, but they really shouldn't have to.
  • I was a bit surprised at the lack of hand sanitizer in the park. They're at the entrance to each store, but not really along park pathways.
  • They're not giving away cups of tap water (since water fountains are still not a thing), you have to buy a bottle. I suggest bringing water of your own, but that felt a bit wrong to deny tap water.
  • Lastly, one team member refused to give me an AP discount for a bottle of soda, which was wrong. To Universal's credit, I did ask about this at Guest Relations, and they verified there are AP discounts for food, and kindly gave me credit for an extra food item (I did have a receipt to back up my claim).
  • Aside from a few display cars in the Plaza, there were no real extra touches. A few charters and photo ops, and that was it. Otherwise, it was just a regular day in the park with no rides.

All of the cons are mostly small things, but altogether, they sort of add up. Not enough to stop us from having a good time... we stayed for the full 7 hours and did enjoy the day despite the issues. That said, I don't feel compelled to return, and feel Knott's would be a much better deal.

That said, it's good to remember that Knott's had many of the same issues for their first food event.... I still remember waiting in line for over 50 minutes at just one food station there, and the lines being incredibly long. Then, over time, they worked out the issues. Of course, here, with the park itself opening relatively soon, I'm not sure if they have as much of an incentive to improve in this regard.

Went today. It was mixed for me. While I enjoyed many things, there's a number of things that need work.

Pros:
  • Obviously getting into the park at all is a biggie after a year.
  • Most staff is very helpful, and queues for stores are very organized--stores never felt crowded at all; in fact, it was kind of wild to be in such empty stores.
  • Park never really felt very crowded in pathways, and tables were generally easy to find (although a bit harder at Hogsemeade and Hollywood & Dine during peak periods).
  • Wand stations are open in Hogsmeade, and it's great to see a finished Pet's Place area. There's lots of details to see and hear.
  • On the whole, guests were good about keeping masks on when not eating.

Cons:
  • Food could use more variety.
  • Many key spots had very long and slow moving lines--many food locations felt understaffed.
  • Food quality could be better, most notably items that should be hot were coming out lukewarm at best. Worse, the "Elote" corn, which is advertised with a white cream sauce in the promotional picture, only had chili power on it and came with two small lime wedges... no white sauce at all.
  • Many items (mostly desserts) were running out as the day went on, but there was no one to tell anyone in line that items were out, nor were menus changed to reflect that.
  • Many queues got so long, there were no more "stand here" stickers on the ground to guide the lines, so they just kind of had no real crowd control. The crowd pretty much managed it well on their own, but they really shouldn't have to.
  • I was a bit surprised at the lack of hand sanitizer in the park. They're at the entrance to each store, but not really along park pathways.
  • They're not giving away cups of tap water (since water fountains are still not a thing), you have to buy a bottle. I suggest bringing water of your own, but that felt a bit wrong to deny tap water.
  • Lastly, one team member refused to give me an AP discount for a bottle of soda, which was wrong. To Universal's credit, I did ask about this at Guest Relations, and they verified there are AP discounts for food, and kindly gave me credit for an extra food item (I did have a receipt to back up my claim).
  • Aside from a few display cars in the Plaza, there were no real extra touches. A few charters and photo ops, and that was it. Otherwise, it was just a regular day in the park with no rides.

All of the cons are mostly small things, but altogether, they sort of add up. Not enough to stop us from having a good time... we stayed for the full 7 hours and did enjoy the day despite the issues. That said, I don't feel compelled to return, and feel Knott's would be a much better deal.

That said, it's good to remember that Knott's had many of the same issues for their first food event.... I still remember waiting in line for over 50 minutes at just one food station there, and the lines being incredibly long. Then, over time, they worked out the issues. Of course, here, with the park itself opening relatively soon, I'm not sure if they have as much of an incentive to improve in this regard.
I just can't give them Knotts had some of these issues...Did no one from Universal go to the Knotts event?

To me its cool we can go into the parks, I want to support my local park but I will give them crap when they cheap out on stuff (like they did with the last year of Grinchmas)

Food should not be running out, lines should not be an hour or at least not all of them at Knotts when I went 15 mins is the longest I ever had to wait...I saw one line for an hour but could skip it because they had more vendors. Knotts Event one had more food options and locations then this.
Also I saw on many blogs that you wait in line and THEN get told if an item is sold out....like ok fine things run out but let people know so they don't waste time. To me this is while I like Blogggers they refuse to be critical and are all like 10/10 event when its not. Knotts last 3 events are 10/10 but Disney and Universal seem to be business as usual without much extra and after going to DTD I'll bet the lines for its tasting event will be long as well..I hope im wrong but seems like Disney has no issue with people in long lines.