Test Seats at Universal Orlando | Inside Universal Forums

Test Seats at Universal Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 21, 2015
During my time preparing for my trip down to Orlando, I did a lot of searching for pictures of the test seats and the measurements of those seats, I didn't have any luck. (Or they were low quality) So next time your at the park snap a few photos of any rides test seat, post them to his thread with your guess of the measurements (unless you carry a ruler with you while you are at the parks lol) for those seats. To be honest I found this wonderful community and used it as motivation to get into shape so I could ride ALL of the rides at Universal. You might be surprised (or not) how many people worry if they will fit or if a family member will fit, and one simple picture will put them at easy..

Thanks for your help!

Forbidden Journey (from WDWMagic):

Harry_Potter_and_the_Forbidden_Journey_-_test_seat.jpg

Hulk (from DISBoards):

Doom (from Theme Park Tourist):
Dr%20Doom%20test%20seat.png

Dudley (From Allears; I believe the test seats are the exact same as a ride vehicle):

dud13.jpg

Dragon Challenge (from DISBoards):

Rockit (from Pinterest):

36cf8b85c1eddaab36450d0b66ea9900.jpg

Mummy (from OI):

revenge-of-the-mummy-universal-studios-florida-546-oi.jpg

Gringotts (from Theme Park University):

DSCN2357.jpg

What is ur height weight and waist size? Cause the open dimensions of the ride seats are useless unless you are afraid that you won't fit the seat part. The way the restraints come down are different for the different styles. I believe I read somewhere that if you are a size 44 or below you should be fine for most of em unless you have chicken legs and a huge gut or huge thighs.

My last weigh-in I was 306 with a 46. My last weigh-in will be this Sunday(we leave for Disney and Universal on Tuesday) a positive thing my 46 in. waist pants are loose. My original goal was to be able to use the regular seats so I could ride in the front row. I don't think I'll fit into those, but I'm hoping for the modified seats.

My wife and I are going to Universal this year, last year we went and I could ride everything but Rip it, Rock it, Ride it and Forbidden Journey. I'm 6'4" and currently 349 lbs, the problem I usually have is since I'm so tall, I have to slouch so my shoulder get under the harnesses, but then my stomach sticks out too far. Any idea of what I need to do to be able to ride those two rides? Working really hard to slim down, but if I had some sort of goal to shoot for would help.

I have a very broad shoulders/chest, B&M over the shoulder restraints and I hate each other along with most other OTSRs. I have no issue with rides that invert that do not use OTSRs and glad the trend is away from them. Had a blast of a Gerstlauer manufactured Euro fighter called Iron Shark at Galveston with just lap restraints last summer. It has a beyond vertical drop and 4 inversions and I have dozens of rides under my belt on Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City but their B&M and I don't talk to each other.

My wife and I are going to Universal this year, last year we went and I could ride everything but Rip it, Rock it, Ride it and Forbidden Journey. I'm 6'4" and currently 349 lbs, the problem I usually have is since I'm so tall, I have to slouch so my shoulder get under the harnesses, but then my stomach sticks out too far. Any idea of what I need to do to be able to ride those two rides? Working really hard to slim down, but if I had some sort of goal to shoot for would help.

I'm about 6'4" and I was about 325 when I went to Universal. As far as tips for being able to ride, for Forbidden Journey, take your time at the test seat. I found I needed sit up straight to get the first 2 clicks then slide down in the seat just enough to get the shoulder room for the 3rd click. I ended up just fitting. For HRRR, remember to try both test seats.

Make sure you get the outside seats on FJ. These are more forgiving and, if I'm not mistaken, only require 2 clicks?

Make sure you get the outside seats on FJ. These are more forgiving and, if I'm not mistaken, only require 2 clicks?

You're right, it may be 2 clicks. I know I needed ride op assistance to get the last click and depending on how I sat in the seat it would go either fairly easy to not going at all. I got pulled a couple of times before I finally figured out the trick.

I don't remember which ride, but I remember an employee at the test seat saying the actual ride seats are more forgiving than the test seats, so if you just make the test seat, you'll definitely have no problem on the ride.

Are they more forgiving than the test seats?

I'm not sure I'd sure the word more forgiving. The test seats don't click and at least for me, it tough to get the leverage on my own to tighten down on the restraints enough. On the real seats, because they click into place it can be easier than the test seats with someones help. On the test seats there are 3 sets of lights. The Red light means no go. The Yellow Light means sit on the outside, The green light means sit anywhere. In general, if you can test the test seat to even blink yellow, even if it can't get it to stay yellow, as someone pushes down on the restraint you're probably good to go if you get your body set properly.