The Adventures of Curious George Playground | Inside Universal Forums

The Adventures of Curious George Playground

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Funny to read all the hate for Curious. I had fun as a kid there, but I guess it's definitely time to make way for bigger and better things.

I wonder if anything from Curious George will get moved over to Super Silly Fun Land.
Wouldn't be surprised if they did just that, actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't hate it. At all. I just never was particularly fond of it haha. I had fun in it as a kid once, but afterwards, I always knew the space could be better used for something better :)

And personally, I'd like to see an all new playground for SSFL that's custom fit to the space, not just recycled 10 year old playground. I know "Green is Universal" but come on ;)

I don't hate it. At all. I just never was particularly fond of it haha. I had fun in it as a kid once, but afterwards, I always knew the space could be better used for something better :)
Good point. Either way, the area is on film! That was actually my first time back at Curious in about 5-6 years, so it was fun revisiting some childhood memories.

Not a fan of getting wet though.

Ill have to visit it before it closes in a few weeks and just walk through it.

Actually....I think that's also been the issue. Even if I'm tempted to run through it, I feel like a creep being the only "adult" in there. The problem has also been that the Curious George theme is extremely childish and is mostly aimed towards toddlers, especially compared to the more Universally loved Nickelodeon theme. Did Universal REALLY not have any other theme up its sleeve to replace the Nick theme with?

An excellent retheme of the play area would've been Dr. Suess. Make it all whimsical and colorful like Suess Landing. Would've been a popular addition.

But Curious George? Brilliant....*sarcasm*

Reactions: Krusty and Chris
I don't hate it, at all. I love that the kids have an area available where they can cool off in the heat. I just recognize that Potter is taking its place, and I'm excited about that.

Goodbye Blast Zone/Curious George, its time to head for the Studio Vault!

Actually....I think that's also been the issue. Even if I'm tempted to run through it, I feel like a creep being the only "adult" in there. The problem has also been that the Curious George theme is extremely childish and is mostly aimed towards toddlers, especially compared to the more Universally loved Nickelodeon theme. Did Universal REALLY not have any other theme up its sleeve to replace the Nick theme with?
An excellent retheme of the play area would've been Dr. Suess. Make it all whimsical and colorful like Suess Landing. Would've been a popular addition.
But Curious George? Brilliant....*sarcasm*
Yup, why not Woody Woodpecker???  Anything but Curious George!  Nickelodeon and CG have completely different audiences!

The same thing goes for the themes of the Citywalk parking structures!  Hello!  Orlando did ET, King Kong, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, and Dr Suess!!!

We have Jurassic Park, Frankenstein and Curious George???

Reactions: Allen The Actor
^ excellent point! Hopefully with the additional new parking structures, they'll rename them. I don't care how "old" Universal's classic movies and characters are, I think they're timeless. Universal's original blockbusters need presence at Universal *shrug*

^ excellent point! Hopefully with the additional new parking structures, they'll rename them. I don't care how "old" Universal's classic movies and characters are, I think they're timeless. Universal's original blockbusters need presence at Universal *shrug*
From the grapevine, I believe there will soon be a Potter-themed garage in the coming years. There may or may not be an additional "Minion" lot as well. (this may just be a re-theme of CG, which is stupidly obvious now that I think about it)

Also: I like all the protection you guys did to make sure you, and your equipment didn't get wet.

I, too, walked around there about a week ago just to get the gist of the size of the area... and yeah I kinda felt like a creep. (except when I remembered there were a buttload of family/private restrooms in the back and shed a tear to know that they would soon be demolished) The stadium "parental" seating station seen behind Jon in the above photo seems to always contain bored teenagers on their phone while adults console and play with their children, so I felt very out-of-place. Though I've heard stories of employees going in groups into the ball pit and going to town over the years... smartly avoiding the chlorine-scented water play area. (too bad that's the portion making its way across the lot)

Universal Plaza's modest water play area (more like a larger, less wet version of the CityWalk fountains) will almost immediately slot in for CG but the sting will be felt for a little while as USH will have to deal with a tidal wave of complaints by frustrated parents that their child was only given a tiny dinosaur playground for seventy-something dollars until SSFL opens next summer. This won't be too harsh on GR, since HHN will scare families away and Grinchmas will have snow play. Spring break, however, will be rough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering it's the end of the summer season, I don't think there will be too many complaints from parents (although it'll still be hot in September).

I wonder if they can maybe get to work on SSFL ASAP to get it ready BEFORE Minion Mayhem so kids and parents could have the play area to play in to make up for CG's loss.

As much as a big grand opening of the entire area would be cool and preferable for me, logistically speaking (if I was Universal), I'd finish SSFL ASAP so kids and parents can have the family area. Because for the money, Universal Plaza's fountain and the Dino play area aren't enough.

Kind of off topic, but sort of on point. This makes me think that we're 1000% getting Flight of the Hippogriff or a similar family coaster. It's simply the route Universal is moving towards and it will be needed. I'd also add another immersive family spinner themed to the Whomping Willow tree, called "Whomping Willow Whirls!"

The Curious George play area brings out my inner-toddler. I will literally spend at least 20 minutes in there (as well as dragging a friend along). I'm gonna be kinda sad to see it go, even if it is being replaced by Potter (and that's coming from a mega Potter fan).

Oh, and if two children/family flat rides make it into the Wizarding World, I'm gonna scream. I know that totally contradicts what I just said about Curious George, but I've heard way too many ideas of this Whomping Willow spinner. Sorry, Allen - no offense! :p I just feel like *SPOILER ALERT* the Whomping Willow plays such a monstrous role in Forbidden Journey, and having a spinner just next door would kind of take away from that (and wouldn't make too much sense). In the end, if it were included I'd still ride it because Harry freakin' Potter.