The Amity Demolition Thread | Inside Universal Forums

The Amity Demolition Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobwadd

V.I.P. Member
Feb 20, 2010
You never know
Here are a few pictures from today:

AmityDemo-003.jpg

AmityDemo-001.jpg

AmityDemo-002.jpg

PCL Construction was onsite.

Other work they did for Universal Orlando:

Shrek 4D

Shrek 4-D is a special attraction at a major Orlando theme park that includes a state of the art 3-D film and an added dimension of special effects.

Extensive renovations of the previously established building, both interior and exterior, were necessary in order to provide for the new theater, special effects and retail area of this latest attraction. Work was performed under a tight schedule and with the utmost precautions as the park remained in operation while work was performed with literally thousands of guests in close proximity at all times.

Universal Studios North Parking Complex - Phase I North Garage

Five levels, 9,000 car capacity 2,500,000 sf of parking surface, an animal kennel facility, 12-lane toll plaza, wardrobe facility, 8 elevators, 34 escalators, ½ mile of powerwalks, and the ability to accommodate 3,000 vehicles/hour.

Phase I of this project was a five-level parking garage with attached people-moving structures. The garage is a precast beam and girder structure with post-tensioned, poured-in-place decks. The attached structures are mainly structural steel which enclose escalators, elevators and power walks that transport park visitors to the theme park. The circular hub structure is a gathering place for the Phase I North and Phase II South parking structures. The main hub structure is an 1,800 cy post-tensioned elevated beam and slab structure that was placed in one 10-hour continuous pour.

Universal Studios Florida Parking Structure - Ph.II South Garage

Phase II of Universal's new parking structure, consists of a 6-level garage with an adjoining hub, in what will be the largest single-structure parking complex in the United States. The parking garage is connected to Phase I through the elevated hub (part of Phase I construction), which serves as a functional focal point, holding a 35,000 sf floor slab and containing more than 2,000 cubic yards of concrete, produced over a continuous pour of more than 8 hours.

I do not know to what extent PCL Construction is involved. They may just be doing the site work.

Goodbye happy landlubbers, hello Muggles! Excited to see this the progress (although, we might have to merge this with the WWOHP Phase 2 thread at some point.. :lol:)

Am I seeing correctly that they are just filling in the concrete lagoon with sand; they just left the concrete there underground? Also, what is that white building far beyond the sand pile?

^^^

I believe they are removing at least some of the concrete. If you look closely you can see pieces of broken concrete in the fill. Also, construction wise you would not want to leave the lagoon as it would trap water preventing drainage.

As far as the white building goes it appears to be a mobile construction office.

Another picture from yesterday. I had to try and clean up the focus so the detail is not very good. (Still getting use to a new camera)

AmityDemo-004.jpg

Another picture from yesterday. I had to try and clean up the focus so the detail is not very good. (Still getting use to a new camera)

AmityDemo-004.jpg

That big rusty thing below the lamp shade appears to be a major drain pipe. I doubt the fill pipes are that large. I had never stopped to see where they drain the jaws lagoon to. Perhaps the lake which in turn my have drains into the citywalk canal which drains into the retention ponds south of the garages.

Ugh, that's just devastating to look at for me... :blank:

I hear ya. Let's put it in perspective. It is far less distressing than a suit and tie, friends and family standing around, lots of stones sticking out of the ground, fake grass, a big deep hole and a backhoe sitting 300 feet away.

Look at it that way, and the backhoe in the pics above looks far less upsetting.

As long as those Amity buildings stay up, then I'm o.k. :/

Still kinda sucks that they are doing something back there and we don't know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.