Avengers: Age of Ultron | Inside Universal Forums

Avengers: Age of Ultron

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 16, 2009
30 Rock
Joss Whedon has signed on to write and direct The Avengers 2! Bring on the awesomeness!

From Variety

Joss Whedon to write, direct 'Avengers' sequel

Filmmker will return for second installment of Disney/Marvel blockbuster

Disney chief Bob Iger announced during an earnings call with analysts that Joss Whedon will write and direct "The Avengers 2" and develop a live action Marvel-themed TV show for ABC.

"Joss Whedon has signed an exclusive deal with Marvel Studios for film and television through the end of June 2015," Disney said in a statement. "As part of that deal, Whedon will write and direct Marvel's The Avengers 2 as well as help develop a new live action series for Marvel Television at ABC. He will also contribute creatively to the next phase of Marvel's cinematic universe."

Move comes after Whedon's "The Avengers" has earned nearly $1.5 billion at the worldwide box office and generated strong sales of "Avengers" merchandise. Its $616.8 million domestic haul makes it the third-highest-grossing film of all time, trailing "Avatar" and "Titanic."

"The Avengers" was the first film Disney marketed and distributed after Paramount released Marvel's "Iron Man" and its sequel, "Thor" and "Captain America."

There were no other details given on what Whedon's Marvel TV show would revolve around. ABC also is developing a reboot of its "Incredible Hulk" series with Guillermo del Toro.

Marvel already has dated "Iron Man 3," "Thor: The Dark World," "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and "Guardians of the Galaxy" through 2014 and is developing a film based on "Ant-Man." An "Avengers" sequel is likely to bow in 2015.

izRiEVSpNRfJB.jpg

I really loved Firefly and Cabin in the Woods. Joss is great.

but I can't say I was a huge fan of Avengers...I mean I didn't feel cheated by buying a ticket, but I wasn't horribly impressed.
I am a bit intrigued by the idea of a marvel TV series

Marvel TV show seems to be how they will introduce smaller characters without just having cameos in the films. I guess this is replacing the idea of Pixar-like shorts at the beginning of the Marvel films like they once said.

The Avengers 2 now has a release date: May 1, 2015. It is also being referred to by Disney as the "Untitled Marvel's Avengers Sequel". Subtitle, anyone?

From IGN:
The Avengers 2 release date has now been confirmed to be May 1, 2015. Here's the short -- but very official! -- statement from Disney/Marvel:

"The Walt Disney Studios has announced a release date for Marvel Studios’ sequel to the biggest Super Hero blockbuster and third highest grossing film of all time, Marvel’s The Avengers. Joss Whedon returns to write and direct the UNTITLED MARVEL’S AVENGERS SEQUEL set for release May 1, 2015."

Note the "untitled" part...

CBM posted what Joss Whedon said at TIFF regarding overseeing Marvel Studios' Phase 2 films as well as teasing the plot of The Avengers 2.

In doing press at the Toronto International Film Festival for the premiere of his praised take on the classic comedy, Much Ado About Nothing, filmmaker Joss Whedon further discussed his involvement with Marvel Studios and their anticipated Phase 2 slate.

Although his contract allows his creative input into the films that will ultimately lead up to his highly-anticipated 2015 sequel to The Avengers, Whedon tells Vancouver.24HRS he surely doesn't want to be a burden on the filmmakers of the other Phase 2 flicks.

“Very talented people are writing and directing these movies, and what I don't want to be is the guy they dread, who's going to come in and say” - here, Whedon affects a pompous British accent - “'Oh, well I have the power to say change this.' I'm not that.”

Although unable to divulge specific details regarding Marvel's The Avengers sequel, in a typical fashion, he does tease the threat Earth's Mightiest Heroes will have to face:

“The creation of the team is not the happy ending,” he says. “It is the beginning of something that is complex and difficult, and now I get to dig a little deeper. And maybe, while I'm digging, just twist that knife. And that's exciting for me.”

“It's still in the story stage. But I've been working on it pretty much from about an hour before I said, 'Let's make a deal.' It just caught fire with me,”
he said. “We're hard at work. We would like to be not as rushed as we were with the first one.”

Joss Whedon told MTV his approach on crafting the sequel......

'Avengers 2' Script Should Be Done In A 'Couple Of Months,' Joss Whedon Says
Marvel filmmaker gives MTV News an update on the upcoming 'Avengers' sequel, his work on 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' and much more.

How do you top the combined size and scale that Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and their friends brought to the table with "Marvel's The Avengers"? According to Joss Whedon, you can't — so rather than trying to make a "bigger" film with his upcoming "Avengers" sequel, he's digging "deeper."

"Don't go bigger; go deeper," Whedon told MTV News at the Critics' Choice Awards, talking about how he plans to follow up the first "Avengers" film. "All of these people have met, so you have that out of the way. Now you can spend your time just digging in — and by digging in, I mean with a scalpel, to cause pain."

Pain might be the name of the game for Earth's mightiest heroes' next reunion, but certainly not for audiences around the world, who helped make "Avengers" the third highest-grossing film in history. Though Disney and Marvel executives breathed a huge sigh of relief when "Avengers" rocked the box office in its debut weekend, it wasn't until the second weekend's returns that Whedon shared their feeling.

"Something I always say to executives is, 'the first weekend is your job and the second weekend is mine,'" said Whedon. "If it had done an amazing job on the first weekend and then disappeared from the screens, then that would be my fault. That was the one I was sort of counting on."

Now, with "Avengers" already a monstrously successful franchise, Whedon is all in on Marvel: he's "a couple of months" away from finishing his "Avengers 2" script, he's about to start directing ABC's "S.H.I.E.L.D." pilot, and he's a creative consultant on the other Marvel Studios films currently in development — a very loose job that he greatly enjoys.

"I read all the scripts and I give notes on everything," Whedon said of his work on Marvel's Phase Two movies. "I'll look at cuts when they're ready to show me. I'll talk to directors if they want to. I try to make myself useful without being intrusive. I've gotten to be a part of all of them. That's a dream job for a kid like me."

Kevin Feige also spoke to MTV about the early progress of The Avengers 2......

Kevin Feige: 'Avengers 2' Has 'Seven Things' That Are 'Worth The Price Of Admission Alone'

Joss Whedon is hard at work directing "S.H.I.E.L.D." right now, but when he's not on the Helicarrier, he's equally busy toiling away at the script and story of "The Avengers 2."

When MTV News spoke with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige about "Iron Man 3" and beyond, he gave us a sense of where things stand with the hotly-awaited "Avengers" sequel.

"It's still early days," he said, "but I told [Whedon] after reading the first sketch outline he delivered — and there's a lot of work still to do, he has to sit down and turn this into a movie — but there are already seven things in there that are worth the price of admission alone."

Don't bother asking Feige what those seven things are — believe me, I tried; the man is a vault. But Feige insists that some of "the seven" won't make sense to fans until the upcoming Marvel movies like "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" hit theaters.

In the meantime, Feige said that Marvelites can expect the groundwork for "Avengers 2" to start as early as "Iron Man 3," even if they won't quite know what to look for.

"I would say that the exercise of this film is very much standalone, more so than any 'Iron Man' film since the first one. But because we are in Phase Two and we're heading towards another 'Avengers' movie, there's certainly a road that's being paved — you just might not notice it," he said regarding how much "Avengers" teasing we'll see in the "Iron Man" threequel. "While you're driving on the road, not knowing where it's going, you might not realize that there are road signs and signals and lane changes that we're setting up now — they might not be readily apparent the first time you see the movie."

As for how "Iron Man 3" will help set up "Avengers 2," Feige teased, "In this one, it has less to do with any sort of larger S.H.I.E.L.D. or cosmic overlay, but much more about Tony, his frame of mind, his viewpoint and the things he wants to pursue."

Though his lips are sealed regarding the specifics of Marvel's future, Feige is clearly energized about Phase Two. "It's pretty exciting to be this early out and already have things that I could pitch you on in a room — if you weren't a journalist who was going to print all of this — and you would go, 'Oh my god, that's going to be awesome,'" he said.

Additionally, Collider posted an article about how Hulk will be involved in Marvel's "Phase 3": Details on New HULK Movie after AVENGERS 2, Plus Possible Hulk-Centric Plot for AVENGERS 3

So apparently in addition to Robert Downey Jr. having to renegotiate his contract, it looks like the rest of the cast is heading that way as well. While Downey earned 50 million for The Avengers it's said most of the cast only made 200,000 and they are holding our for more. The ones mentioned by name were Chris Hemsworth and Scarlett Johansson. Chris Evans is signed on already.

Can't say I blame them, Downey reportedly has there backs too. This is a billion dollar franchise now why does Marvel continue to be cheap? Especially since Disney is playing a part in this as well. The re-casts of Terrence Howard and Ed Norton weren't that big of a deal but I don't think they can afford any recasts at this point. We're all already invested in Hemsworth as Thor, Evans as Captain America etc.

All of them deserve more, but Downey Jr. without a doubt has the most leverage. Avengers 2 won't do even close to as well without his portrayal of Tony Stark/Iron Man in the film.