1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

The FOX Acquisition Thread (Updated June 12)

Discussion in 'Games, Movies & Sports' started by AlexanderMBush, Nov 6, 2017.

1. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

I think Deadpool is the only thing that will remain from the current lineup. It was kind of hinted at that it takes place in the MCU.

X-Men is a weird one to reboot into the MCU. The Jim Hill podcast made an interesting point about there being a conflict with the characters. Everybody in the Avengers is celebrated for having powers but the X-Men are hated for their powers.

jtsalien likes this.
  2. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

Eh. I can see it working, especially once the new Avengers are in place. Most of the Avengers’ powers (aside from Thor) aren’t “natural.” They’re the results of science, mysticism, or training. They can set up an mutant villain (rebooted Magneto) to fight Avengers based on “natural power vs mistake” conflict and introduce new X-Men in that context.

It’s a shame they already bastardized Civil War.

scott_walker likes this.
  3. scott_walker

Don’t get me wrong, they’ll make it work. I don’t think they’ve set a foot wrong yet and I don’t see them slowing down any time soon.

I’m hyped for a decent Fantastic Four movie and I’ve not really enjoyed X-Men recently.

4. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

It was always kind of a problem in the comics, as well. People are scared of Professor X but She-Hulk is so accepted she can get a job as a lawyer? X-Men work better in a stand-alone universe.

For that matter, in addition to be hokey as hell, F4's arc was basically taken by Tony Stark in the MCU. No real place for them story-wise.

5. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if Disney will keep renting the Production space in Stage 19 at USF for FSN post-merger. That would be a pretty big loss of a long-time tenant for Universal's backlot.

danielmann910 likes this.
  6. scott_walker

What’s FSN? And where abouts is stage 19?

7. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

It seems a lot of Fox Employees are not happy about this at all.

scott_walker likes this.
  8. Nick

Well I wouldn't be either. A good deal of them are going to get let go once the deal passes.

SeventyOne likes this.
  9. Nick

It's a Fox Regional Sports Production office. Fox Sports Sun (shows Tampa Bay Rays games) runs out of there. At least I think they still do... I just read something saying the exact thing.

scott_walker likes this.
  10. quinnmac000

11. Nick

12. scott_walker

Cheers, mate.

13. scott_walker

Does this mean we can now get a Paddy’s Pub from Always sunny in Disney?

KengKun, Grits0808 and foodstampsFTW like this.
  14. nickp

nickp Newcomer

We might see ESPN make a large push into the Chicago Sports Market. NBC has pretty much a had a monopoly there with TV rights of the Cubs, Sox, Bulls & Blackhawks. But the Cubs deal is coming up

15. quinnmac000

NBC sports channels are co-owned with the teams also owning part of the channel. ESPN would have to share ownership to gain more rights.

Mad Dog likes this.
  16. quinnmac000

Sorry for double post, but of note, reports are coming out that Comcast made a higher and better offer but Murdoch's preferred Disney stock over Comcast.

JoeCamel and zg44 like this.
  17. zg44

zg44 Member

Interesting to hear that, and not a surprise at all. Brian Roberts has been so aggressive that he's made 5 offers of $35-75 billion for various companies over his tenure at Comcast (AT&T Broadband, Disney, Time Warner Cable, NBCUniversal, and now Fox), but of course, only 2 of those ended up happening, AT&T Broadband and NBCUniversal.

It's why I'm not really concerned at all about NBCUniversal's future after this Disney-Fox merger, they'll bid aggressively at every chance to grow the business because that's the only way they've operated.

jtsalien and Mad Dog like this.
  18. WAJAS98

WAJAS98 Veteran Member

Fox Sports Florida (Sun) has been planning to move out of UOR’s backlot for a while now. They’re moving into the Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex being built in Downtown Orlando. Construction on the facility starts this spring.

Nick, jtsalien and Joe like this.
  19. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

There will be reports of Comcast going after Warner Bros by April.

20. zg44

zg44 Member

Yeah, I've thought about that possibility if the AT&T-TW merger is blocked (note that the odds are low, last DoJ attempt to stop a vertical merger was 40 years ago and the DoJ lost the case).

The anti-trust implications seem too strong for a full Comcast-TW merger, and Bewkes hasn't wanted to split up Turner/HBO/Warner Bros.

Comcast would want HBO and Warner Bros. if it's somehow possible to send Turner to somebody else, probably Sony which would love to get US cable nets for distribution. (A problem is that AT&T would do the same.)

Only way a full merger goes through is if NBCUniversal is spun off and merged with TimeWarner or something to that effect, but that's not going to happen.

Either way, in the low chance that somehow Time Warner is available, yeah I'd expect a frenzy:

A Comcast/Sony division of TimeWarner makes the most sense though with HBO and WB to Comcast.