Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread | Page 40 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Fair Play: With Fox-Disney, More Questions About Media Consolidation | Bloomberg Law

According to this report, Comcast have time to come up with a competing bid, but it looks they might be several steps behind Fox-Disney, due to the fact the Disney/Fox deal could be approved by the DOJ within weeks.
Which is why I think Disney wins out. I think FOX just wants to get this over with now and if they go with Comcast, it will start the whole process over with again. That said, if Comcast has the better offer, of course FOX is going to take it.

Which is why I think Disney wins out. I think FOX just wants to get this over with now and if they go with Comcast, it will start the whole process over with again. That said, if Comcast has the better offer, of course FOX is going to take it.
Yeah, it's a weird situation given that everything points to Disney being able to close the deal quicker (at least 6 months earlier it would seem).

But Murdoch only cares about one thing: who's giving him the most $ for his assets (with tax considerations and all that). I really don't think he cares about anything else; all the analysis of his relationship with Iger/Roberts doesn't really matter.

Murdoch's been in this business a long, long time; he knows how cutthroat it is. I don't think bruised egos or hurt feelings over past deals matters much. Yeah that gets paragraphs in any psychoanalysis of these CEOs, but the reality is $ will carry the day.

Comcast will probably make a counteroffer this week if they plan to seriously go after the assets. I'd expect them to add stock to their offer to show that they are serious about outbidding Disney. Then we'll go from there.

Fox says regulatory risk could delay or derail any Comcast bid

It looks like Fox still have some concerns on Comcast regarding the anti-trust regulatory approvals more than Disney. Maybe it's the reason why Comcast is taking a bit too long to make a counter-bid? Looks like it would be hard for Comcast to win over Fox, and Fox might consider Disney instead.
Funny that Comcast tried to purchase Disney at one point...I wonder if Comcast loses this bid how it will affect them moving forward

Reactions: tankart150
I have no idea what is taking Comcast so long. They either don't have a comprehensive plan or they may have a surprise coming up. It's been over a week and nothing important has been made. The DOJ may and try to approve the Disney/Fox deal by next week or maybe a couple of more, and Fox is already tempting to go with Disney.

I have no idea what is taking Comcast so long. They either don't have a comprehensive plan or they may have a surprise coming up. It's been over a week and nothing important has been made. The DOJ may and try to approve the Disney/Fox deal by next week or maybe a couple of more, and Fox is already tempting to go with Disney.

I am going to give a guess, Comcast is trying to find some way, but the more that they look, the more it may be too much for them to do.

Yep its done. However, Comcast still has Sky which is what they wanted more than anything else domestically that Fox owned. In addition, FOX Ips at least based on the top 150 Global Licensors don't make money in regards to merch/toys/etc.

Yep its done. However, Comcast still has Sky which is what they wanted more than anything else domestically that Fox owned. In addition, FOX Ips at least based on the top 150 Global Licensors don't make money in regards to merch/toys/etc.

As far as I'm concerned, 21st Century Fox is a publicly-traded company so they can't turn down Comcast's offer and walk away like nothing ever happens. Fox shareholders hold the shares since they own the company, and it's them that decide to sell or not. Even though it's unlikely for Comcast to do this so they won't look like they're so bitter, hostile takeovers happen when the buyer can convince enough shareholders to sell even if the boards does not want the company to be bought by that particular entity. Plus, the deal isn't really actually done at this point so it's not really over yet.

As far as I'm concerned, 21st Century Fox is a publicly-traded company so they can't turn down Comcast's offer and walk away like nothing ever happens. Fox shareholders hold the shares since they own the company, and it's them that decide to sell or not. Even though it's unlikely for Comcast to do this so they won't look like they're so bitter, hostile takeovers happen when the buyer can convince enough shareholders to sell even if the boards does not want the company to be bought by that particular entity. Plus, the deal isn't really actually done at this point so it's not really over yet.
Don't hold out too much hope here. Technically it's not over, but it really is. I'd be very surprised if Comcast made another bid, and even if they did it's unlikely to go anywhere. Hostile takeovers are messy. There needs to be cooperation and partnership, and based on what I've read that went out the window for Comcast today.

They'll nab Sky though. Without a doubt.

Last edited:
Don't hold out too much hope here. Technically it's not over, but it really is. I'd be very surprised if Comcast made another bid, and even if they did it's unlikely to go anywhere. Hostile takeovers are messy. There needs to be cooperation and partnership, and based on what I've read that went out the window for Comcast today.

They'll nab Sky though. Without a doubt.

I'm not disagreeing with you, yeah, Comcast is taking too long to counter-bid, which makes it seems like either they're coming with a surprise bid or they don't have one at all. That said, the Board is a bit lax when it comes to the shareholders' vote, and they do care about the money as much as the shareholders. Plus, as I stated again, it isn't really done at this point and there's a lot of uncertainty about the future of the deal. If Comcast has enough time to convince Fox board how its counter-bid is so worthy, they may reconsider, but that said, it might take more than a week to change their minds, and there isn't enough time due to the current circumstances and the already-pending approval from the DOJ.

I'm not disagreeing with you, yeah, Comcast is taking too long to counter-bid, which makes it seems like either they're coming with a surprise bid or they don't have one at all. That said, the Board is a bit lax when it comes to the shareholders' vote, and they do care about the money as much as the shareholders. Plus, as I stated again, it isn't really done at this point and there's a lot of uncertainty about the future of the deal. If Comcast has enough time to convince Fox board how its counter-bid is so worthy, they may reconsider, but that said, it might take more than a week to change their minds, and there isn't enough time due to the current circumstances and the already-pending approval from the DOJ.

looking at it now with with Comcast willing to part with all the domestic assets, it was never about Fox really and more so a faster way to break into the international market. Star is valued at 15 billion dollars, Sky total value is around 25 billion and those numbers are being generous. Fox Networks Worldwide are worth ~3 billion being generous as well. Comcast would be paying and working hard for something that is way overvalued. That money would be much better spent on creating your own distribution networks in those areas using competitors are a cheap costs as well as using the money to buy up other major content creators so you can challenge them in those areas.

I wasn't expecting a Comcast counter bid until today-Friday.

I wouldn't say it's over yet though unless Comcast insists on sticking to an all-cash offer. If so, then yeah it's probably over. I don't see an $80+ billion all-cash bid as a very logical offer.

Reactions: jtsalien
Weeeeellllll...

The Murdochs are probably going to either push Comcast to offer or walk away based on that. I don't think they've rescheduled their vote on the Disney deal, so until then, it sounds like they're leaving the door open.

The anti-trust stuff is really not a big deal here imo; yeah I know they're saying that in the paperwork, but after the AT&T-TW merger, I think anything can go through.

Reactions: SeventyOne
The Murdochs are probably going to either push Comcast to offer or walk away based on that. I don't think they've rescheduled their vote on the Disney deal, so until then, it sounds like they're leaving the door open.

The anti-trust stuff is really not a big deal here imo; yeah I know they're saying that in the paperwork, but after the AT&T-TW merger, I think anything can go through.

Seriously, hasn't the Fox shareholders vote on the Disney/Fox deal yet? Why did Comcast even bother to bid for the deal in the first place if the Disney/Fox deal is close to be approved?