Hall of Presidents | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

Hall of Presidents

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2. I don’t love the idea of taking one of the more adult attractions at WDW and skewing it younger. Hall of Presidents has always been one of my dad’s favorite shows, for example, and I can’t imagine him being excited about it turning into comedy.

While kids can enjoy the Muppets, plenty of adults do as well. I've never considered the Muppets to be kid only.

I think people are sleeping on the possibility of adding a Nic Cage animatronic stealing the Declaration of Independence...

There is a National Treasure show coming to Disney+ and I'd love to see Nic Cage coming to the MK.

Loosely related but I never miss a chance to point this out... the brown strip of pavement going through the middle of the walkways in the Liberty Square is meant to represent sewage from pre-plumbing times.

Once you see it, it can’t be unseen.
I always wonder where that oft repeated meme came from. Originally the streets were not made that way and once the large parades started they were changed again to smooth out the cobbles. ?1990?? I did a quick look and didn't see it right off but I saw something from one of the old imaginers explaining that was never the intention. Skylar? Gurr? Baxter? Was one of those I think

Last edited:
Some sort of irony in that people who panic whenever COP might be replaced (It was created by Walt!) have no problem tossing away an attraction that in concept way pre-dated COP, but was a project that Walt himself was most anxious to figure out how to do it.

Some sort of irony in that people who panic whenever COP might be replaced (It was created by Walt!) have no problem tossing away an attraction that in concept way pre-dated COP, but was a project that Walt himself was most anxious to figure out how to do it.
Here’s the difference- Even when HOP was supposed to be Great Moments, it would’ve been a clone.

CoP was originally at the World’s Fair, moved to Disneyland, then moved to WDW. So CoP literally traces all the way back to the 64-65 Worlds fair.

Point is, it’s not like this is the original thing. Last I checked, that’s still standing over there at DL. And even if it was, WDW is not a museum. Many have made the argument over the years that CoP should be donated to the Walt Disney Family Museum.

I dig the muppets and would enjoy them there, but I am surprised by a lot of the talk here. I think Brian was the first to bring up Liberty Square. Now, I imagine Sam the Eagle has stories he could tell, but everything about that area of the park is early America -- the public shackles, the Liberty Bell, the Liberty Tree -- this isn't 'we have one in Epcot' (to me) as the HoP makes sense to me as much as main street on the way in, the flag lowering ceremony before sunset -- the MK IS the apple pie view of America (methinks)

Here’s the difference- Even when HOP was supposed to be Great Moments, it would’ve been a clone.

CoP was originally at the World’s Fair, moved to Disneyland, then moved to WDW. So CoP literally traces all the way back to the 64-65 Worlds fair.

Point is, it’s not like this is the original thing. Last I checked, that’s still standing over there at DL. And even if it was, WDW is not a museum. Many have made the argument over the years that CoP should be donated to the Walt Disney Family Museum.
The original CONCEPT of Hall of Presidents dates to the 1950s as part of the Liberty Street expansion. Great Moments happened only because Robert Moses saw the figure and insisted it be at the fair. In fact, he actually PAID the Illinois pavillion to have it. Originally Lincoln was simply going to be the speaking one but the show (had it been built) would have been just like the original 1971 HOP.

The original CONCEPT of Hall of Presidents dates to the 1950s as part of the Liberty Street expansion. Great Moments happened only because Robert Moses saw the figure and insisted it be at the fair. In fact, he actually PAID the Illinois pavillion to have it. Originally Lincoln was simply going to be the speaking one but the show (had it been built) would have been just like the original 1971 HOP.
I don't mean to be dismissive, but I literally don't care about any of that. I know all of the history on HoP, i've watched Martin's videos and stuff on it. I just kinda don't care if it traces a bit back to some work back then. Sure, it's fun trivia, but (and I feel like I keep saying this), WDW is NOT a living museum. It should be an ever evolving place.

I'd be more upset if they changed the Liberty Square name, tbh.

WDW is NOT a living museum. It should be an ever evolving place.

But at the same time, some things are classics for a reason (I'm not necessarily saying HOP is in that category), and I reject that argument that says that because a thing is old, it automatically needs to be replaced.

As with everything, balance. A park can move forward and evolve its offerings and still preserve its history. Especially at the WDW parks, which have many plots of land that are either designated for expansion or are under-utilized.

So does replacing Hall of Presidents with a new attraction concept equate to a rejection of the classics? No. But neither does wanting it to stick around equate to an advocacy of the park remaining stuck in time.

Reactions: Skold and amar831
But at the same time, some things are classics for a reason (I'm not necessarily saying HOP is in that category), and I reject that argument that says that because a thing is old, it automatically needs to be replaced.

As with everything, balance. A park can move forward and evolve its offerings and still preserve its history. Especially at the WDW parks, which have many plots of land that are either designated for expansion or are under-utilized.

So does replacing Hall of Presidents with a new attraction concept equate to a rejection of the classics? No. But neither does wanting it to stick around equate to an advocacy of the park remaining stuck in time.
I agree some things are classics, but they also need to be updated over time like Hall of Presidents and Haunted Mansion have been. Haunted Mansion is a *true* classic in the sense that even if you haven't been to a Disney park, you know what it is. HoP is just too controversial in the era we're currently living in.

You also have to factor in that "classics" like HM, PotC, Peter Pan, etc are some of the highest rated rides in the park. Hall of Presidents, Country Bears, Tiki Room and CoP are some of the lowest. While people on this forum may love animatronic shows, the general public clearly does not anymore, especially with no discernible IP attached.

People complain that they might be thinking of putting Moana in Tiki Room or Toy Story in Country Bears and now Muppets here. But how many times have you been at the parks and just walked right by these shows to head to a ride? I know for me, I rarely go, and I love all three shows. So while I may not be in love with them thinking of putting IPs in some of these things, I totally get why. If someone like me who likes the shows hardly stops in, the average guest probably passes by a lot too. Think about how many times you've been interrupted on CoP with them telling people to sit down, or had to watch a scene again because someone exited the theater. These things have to be more accessible to the GP if they are to stick around long-term.

HoP was clever back in 1971 before the internet, but now, not so much imo.

I think it would make it easier, but I still want Muppet Vision to stay.

I want it to stay as well, especially for my dad. When I was booking a family trip to Orlando.I was telling my dad about all the new rides since he was last there in 2008. Potter, Mako, Star Wars, Toy Story, Kong and all he cared about was Muppet Vision still being there.

Reactions: Alicia and Legacy
Status
Not open for further replies.