Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Future of Holy Land

Made me think of this.

Oh my, those Never Bump Bumper Cars in the video remind me of a long ago amusement park story. In the 80's, my live in significant other at the time (Liz), and I, took the drive up to Conneaut Amusement Park
in the northwestern corner of PA. First time ever there. Damn, what a downer day. The ancient park had seen much much better days. Looking over the sparse ride attractions, old and battered, memories of being
at Kennywood Park as a child popped up. Many of the retired flat rides at Kennywood ended up at Conneaut. But it wasn't nostalgia attached to it, it was sadness and an empty heart filling. Those childhood
memories were dashed looking at the disheveled state of the rides , and the very dirty, really filthy, park. Each ride was owned, or run, by independent vendors....Anyway, back to the Bumper Car story.
At Kennywood, one of my fav rides was the Bumper cars. There was a reincarnation of that at Conneaut called "Dodge em Cars". So we bought our ticket, got on the ride, and proceeded to drive our car full blast,
and we immediately rammed one of the other riders cars. Well, we achieved our objective, but immediately, the ride operator stopped the ride. He came over to us and yelled at me for hitting the other car and he threw
us off the ride. He said it's an old ride, and it's called 'Dodge Em Cars' because the cars would fall apart if they were hit by other cars....Story lesson: .Old rides never die, they just fade away....though not always gloriously.

Last edited:
Fun fact, I actually went to the real Holy Land and figured this was a waste of time.

I've known a few people who went to this park. None did so unironically.

That said, this is a reminder that the part of Orlando Universal and Sea World sit on is very much inside a functioning metro area, and a growing one at that.. Millennia and it surrounding area needs a state-of-the art hospital, and sadly it feels like Advent is the only one building those around here these days.

I've known a few people who went to this park. None did so unironically.

That said, this is a reminder that the part of Orlando Universal and Sea World sit on is very much inside a functioning metro area, and a growing one at that.. Millennia and it surrounding area needs a state-of-the art hospital, and sadly it feels like Advent is the only one building those around here these days.
Yes, it seemed like a disrespectful place at best

As far as Advent goes, this seems like a good location to serve the area

Who could have guessed that a park with show that featured a man getting bloodily whipped with nails driven through his hands would not be a popular place for family fun?
I would have been banned for this, but I laaaaaaaaaaaaughed.
Yes, it seemed like a disrespectful place at best
Sounds funny coming from a Satanist, but it was less disrespectful than it was catering to a distinct, Southern, white, evangelical (Baptist? I'm not hot on the fault lines between the sects) version of Christianity. As far as I can tell, everything in the HLE would have been unrecognizable to the New England Congregational Our-Lady-Of-The-Covered-Dish-Supper Christianity of my early childhood.

Sounds funny coming from a Satanist, but it was less disrespectful than it was catering to a distinct, Southern, white, evangelical (Baptist? I'm not hot on the fault lines between the sects) version of Christianity. As far as I can tell, everything in the HLE would have been unrecognizable to the New England Congregational Our-Lady-Of-The-Covered-Dish-Supper Christianity of my early childhood.
Amen. :thumbsup:

I went to the park (twice!), and it was all ironically. It was interesting to see the Lord prefers Pepsi over Coke, in case you were wondering, because that's what they sold in the food location. And this sign in a store never failed to amuse me. I know I praise the Lord every time I see a sale.

Honestly, I always wondered why anyone who is religious wouldn't be offended at seeing a walk around Jesus character. They also had a show called "Sing for the King" Karoke, where you could sing your favorite praise songs. There were just so many strange ideas there, believer or not.

Attachments

• P1000972.JPG
    P1000972.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 14

I assume it was feeding off of people that keep Ruby Tuesdays in business

The rest of us found it abhorrent

my biggest problem with Holy Land was that they were classified as a church (why they were open one day a year free), so they were basically a tourist attraction that didn't pay tax.
I'm sure some here have some riveting takes on tax exemption...and we're all very interested...but it would take us to a political place unfortunately

I will just say that HL should not have been included in exemption.