KidZone Replacement Rumors & Speculation (Pt 2) | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

KidZone Replacement Rumors & Speculation (Pt 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think anyone is discounting the appeal of playgrounds (honestly even as an older kid I used to love running around and goofing off in Camp Jurassic). But there’s something to be said about a kid-friendly zone that has something everyone (including adults) can enjoy as well. Adults pay for tickets too, I’m not a parent but I’d imagine I’d feel more value for my dollar riding a ride to keep my kid entertained vs sitting on a bench watching them run around.

And that goes for small flat rides too—the Camp Snoopy zones at Cedar Fair parks do have rides, but essentially have the same effect on parents as the playgrounds.

I don’t think anyone is discounting the appeal of playgrounds (honestly even as an older kid I used to love running around and goofing off in Camp Jurassic). But there’s something to be said about a kid-friendly zone that has something everyone (including adults) can enjoy as well. Adults pay for tickets too, I’m not a parent but I’d imagine I’d feel more value for my dollar riding a ride to keep my kid entertained vs sitting on a bench watching them run around.

And that goes for small flat rides too—the Camp Snoopy zones at Cedar Fair parks do have rides, but essentially have the same effect on parents as the playgrounds.

I agree. The idea than an area has to be explicitly kids-only (as opposed to family-inclusive) in order to satisfy kids, and that means it must therefore feature only flat rides, meet-and-greets, and play areas (and a repurposed, lightly-themed, very short coaster, in this case), strikes me as kind of strange. Maybe in amusement parks that would be totally appropriate, but we're talking about a major theme park.

Do we not think Super NIntendo World will be a major hit with kids (as well as pretty much everybody else) in Orlando? Because that's what was once destined for this space, and I think something of similar scale and appeal is what should go in there.

IDK - I'm of the mindset that not everything offered has to be offered to everyone. I'm not saying y'all are necessarily wrong, but definitely think it's making something out of nothing, with all things considered.

With rather finite areas available for significant expansion, it's tough to not see the current KidZone plan as a missed chance to add a truly significant new land (with kid appeal, even!) to USF, a park which needs some attention (in my opinion).

To use an example of an overall area I'm not even a huge fan of (New Fantasyland), it's like if Magic Kingdom just added Storybook Circus instead of also adding Mermaid and Seven Dwarfs.

And as you said before, the following year a massive NEW THEME PARK is opening.

I get that, but don't we want the existing parks to be the absolute best they can be (within reason) at that time? Or at least be on that path?

I get that, but don't we want the existing parks to be the absolute best they can be (within reason) at that time? Or at least be on that path?

They’re replacing a decades old play area with modern stuff, it is an upgrade. In 2020 we got Bourne, 2023 Minions, 2024 this, and then most likely more changes and additions after Epic. And I don’t think replacing play areas for kids, which are popular, with dark rides or flat rides is necessarily an upgrade.

They’re replacing a decades old play area with modern stuff, it is an upgrade. In 2020 we got Bourne, 2023 Minions, 2024 this, and then most likely more changes and additions after Epic. And I don’t think replacing play areas for kids, which are popular, with dark rides or flat rides is necessarily an upgrade.

I think we're looking at this from such different vantage points that we're never going to see eye-to-eye.

Nobody is denying that scrapping some of the stuff that's been there for 30 years in favor of equivalent newer builds is technically an "upgrade." I think only doing that is dramatically underutilizing the space afforded to you. And nobody is saying don't include play areas, either.

I think we're looking at this from such different vantage points that we're never going to see eye-to-eye.

Nobody is denying that scrapping some of the stuff that's been there for 30 years in favor of equivalent newer builds is technically an "upgrade." I think only doing that is dramatically underutilizing the space afforded to you. And nobody is saying don't include play areas, either.

Fair, and yeah we'll probably not see eye to eye on it. But I'm more willing to excuse a massive playground addition because Universal has a steady history of adding new attractions now, so if you are not happy with Minions or DreamWorks KidZone then just wait a year or two for the next USF addition, one that'll probably please you (no info, just spitting out info). If this was Animal Kingdom, where the last attraction added was five years ago, and the opportunity for a new ride is then another five years away, I'd agree.

Also I would not be surprised if the FFL Potter VR budget was moved to this.

Fair, and yeah we'll probably not see eye to eye on it. But I'm more willing to excuse a massive playground addition because Universal has a steady history of adding new attractions now, so if you are not happy with Minions or DreamWorks KidZone then just wait a year or two for the next USF addition, one that'll probably please you (no info, just spitting out info). If this was Animal Kingdom, where the last attraction added was five years ago, and the opportunity for a new ride is then another five years away, I'd agree.

Also I would not be surprised if the FFL Potter VR budget was moved to this.
I really am surprised a VR project was ever considered. As someone who owns a Quest 2 and links to my PC to get games from Steam, I can easily get certain games that would offer a similar experience or if WB released an actual Potter VR game, then it would make the VR attraction in the park seem like some of those old DisneyQuest VR things.

VR is rapidly taking off in that every year or two a new headset is coming out that keeps pushing boundaries. The Pico 4 just came out and made the Quest 2 look way outdated and it's only 2 years old. The real problem with VR though is the graphics simply aren't there yet. There's a few games where they look real nice (Half-Life: Alyx, or the Red Matter games for example), but compared to console gaming, it's still going to take time for the graphics to work their way up into a headset, which I think, on top of capacity, was probably one of the biggest issues with the Potter VR attraction.

Sorry for the VR ramblings lol. I'm looking forward to whatever KidZone eventually turns into, just not expecting much and I think it's best everyone keeps expectations low.

I really am surprised a VR project was ever considered. As someone who owns a Quest 2 and links to my PC to get games from Steam, I can easily get certain games that would offer a similar experience or if WB released an actual Potter VR game, then it would make the VR attraction in the park seem like some of those old DisneyQuest VR things.

VR is rapidly taking off in that every year or two a new headset is coming out that keeps pushing boundaries. The Pico 4 just came out and made the Quest 2 look way outdated and it's only 2 years old. The real problem with VR though is the graphics simply aren't there yet. There's a few games where they look real nice (Half-Life: Alyx, or the Red Matter games for example), but compared to console gaming, it's still going to take time for the graphics to work their way up into a headset, which I think, on top of capacity, was probably one of the biggest issues with the Potter VR attraction.

Sorry for the VR ramblings lol. I'm looking forward to whatever KidZone eventually turns into, just not expecting much and I think it's best everyone keeps expectations low.

The VR itself could be upgraded over time, like AR with Mario Kart. VR attraction was before COVID, before the UC and UP&R shake-ups, and before VelociCoaster. Then add on being super expensive to operate and it killed the project.

And just to add - we still don’t know the specs of the project. Just chatter. This could still be part 1 of a larger plan.
I could see that happen. I imagine a lot depends on what is next for the whole back area from Animal Actors to Fear Factor. With Epic opening in 2025, it is smart they just take it easy and explore all their options.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
One rumor I had heard earlier this year was for a possible DreamWorks takeover of KidZone, starting piece by piece over the course of a couple years, including the addition of a new ride. Last year they were supposedly eyeing the Pets ride system and layout with a Trolls theme as the anchor for the land, but that certainly may have/will change.

I was not expecting to see a full closure of the entire area to see it redone all at once, but as Joe says, there's still room for a ride someday. You never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.