1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

The Future of KidZone

Discussion in 'Universal Studios Florida' started by Brian G., May 27, 2014.

1. LintemuthStudios

LintemuthStudios Veteran Member

In that case, replace it as soon as possible. The Simpsons contract doesn't expire until 2030 and I doubt they'll wait that long, so why not start it now?

GadgetGuru and therock like this.
  2. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

2028. Either way, they ain't gonna do a massive project like that before FW, so you've got at least until 2023

3. Felipe

Felipe Premium Member

You got a point about the Simpsons IP, although I think there's also a considerable chance they'll negotiate to extend the contract because Springfield is pretty prominent both in Orlando and Hollywood...

Now I don't think the current plot and dead-end is that big of an issue, though, if they wanna rework the land. Diagon Alley has a similar setup with the entrance and exit being in one spot, and that works pretty well. I think they could totally rework KidZone with only the land it currently has and it would be fine. Of course they could do a lot more adding Springfield's footprint... but I'd be happy if they flip even just the current KidZone area.

Andysol and natespf like this.
  4. WebHead1138

WebHead1138 Member

Universal has bigger fish to fry right now

GadgetGuru and truejonas like this.
  5. WebHead1138

WebHead1138 Member

Incorrect. The biggest issue is that it’s cursed.

Andysol, natespf and Mad Dog like this.
  6. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Yes, no doubt. I recall joking about that also, a few months back. A curse makes more sense than any other explanation we've heard. .:thumbsup: ;)

7. DK745

DK745 Member

It must be the curse of Psycho IV. :lol: Once it got replaced they haven't been able to do anything with Kidzone.

8. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

Yeah, with Beijing, UFW, the USS Additions of Minion Park/SNW, and Hollywood's advances as they head to LA2028 (as I'm willing to take that crackguess); Universal Creative have a lot more larger things to take care of.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Mad Dog likes this.
  9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

yeah. They have to be stretched pretty thin.

10. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

The only way what you're talking about works is if they move the main path way so that you would be FORCED to walk through the new areas, instead of having the option to bypass like currently is the case with KidZone. That would be a massive undertaking in itself in changing pathways and such.

11. natespf

natespf --Classified-- Premium Member

I don't think they'd remove the path along the water. Rather if they did something like that the path would split and reconnect as a mini-loop, or there could be more paths to break it up like the front end of the park. Employee access could be like that for Mel's block, or they could theme an overpass into the land to give employees a hidden tunnel.

12. JungleSkip

This. Rework the entire area so the flow for everyone works better

truejonas, Fallow, SeventyOne and 2 others like this.
  13. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

It's a weird one. It was built into a 'land' to to be opened just after Hard Rock moved to CityWalk and was never really just a through path. I think a dead end works well as a kids area from a security perspective. Your kids can't just run through to the other end make a break for it. I also don't think that a dead end has really stopped allowing something to be great. Diagon Alley is arguably the best themed land and Tower of Terror is arguably one of the best themed rides, all on a dead end.

But that doesn't mean that it's good design, especially in a modern theme park.

I think you could really be onto something with this. The Simpsons land is kind of great but the ride sucks. You could probably get the same nostalgia feel out a shop on CityWalk. If the delays to Kidzone's replacement are due to Simpsons going too, I will be perfectly happy. Like you said, it kills 2 birds with the one stone and it is a huuuuuuuuuge piece of land.

But what do you do with it that isn't already being covered in the current parks or potentially in FW?

Felipe, Fallow, natespf and 2 others like this.
  14. LintemuthStudios

A double land. Everyone is talking about putting SLoP:OTL and Pokemon into KZ, but that's a really tight squeeze. Put Pokemon where Simpsons, Barney, Curious George, etc is and put SLoP near ET.

15. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

Completely razing Springfield and Kidzone (including ET and Pizza Co) would give them a size nearly to the level of Galaxy's Edge, at around 13 acres.

I would guess, if they do go through with that after UFW; it would not be separated by multiple IP's.

16. JungleSkip

Pokemon? I dunno. I’d say there’s probably 6 years before anything substantially happens in USF

17. LintemuthStudios

No way they get rid of ET and Simpsons at the same time. I doubt we see ET go within the next 15 years.

truejonas, Coolbfitz and emsvcs3 like this.
  18. Jwhee

Jwhee Veteran Member

If kidzone as a whole is not going away anytime soon I think they’d be smart to do some overlays;

Trolls into the Barney theater and retheme of Curious George into a new Ip.

Andysol likes this.
  19. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

FW could open in 2023, I’d imagine USF and IOA will need additions for 2024 and even then it will be something minor. 6 years at minimum sounds like a good bet.

In a perfect world and to keep everybody on this forum happy.

Sponge Bob land. Also adds a much needed water ride to a USF.

20. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

Seen some solid ideas here, but remember it's possible, even likely, kids in 2028 will be obsessed with an IP that hasn't even been seen by the public in 2019. Simpsons has enough good will and a killer food court, the land can certainly limp along a few more years before a final replacement decision has to be made..

Andysol, Felipe, Joe and 7 others like this.