1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

The Future of KidZone

Discussion in 'Universal Studios Florida' started by Brian G., May 27, 2014.

1. Disneyhead

Disneyhead Veteran Member

You guys should have seen the shape that Disneyland was in by the time they got DCA open. They put all their resources towards DCA/DtD and Disneyland proper was in pretty rough shape by the time DCA opened.

And Universal has a lot more going on than just FW. Beijing, 4 SNWs (including Orland's), Minion land at USS, SLOP and JW in Hollywood, etc.

tideblue, shiekra38, tielo and 3 others like this.
  2. SpatulaShack

SpatulaShack Rookie

This is accurate and quite frankly it scares me a little bit. They are investing in SO many projects simultaneously across their entire portfolio of parks that something had to give. Pulling back on the rapid expansion of the existing 2 Orlando parks makes sense (to an extent) and I think had Supercharged been a big hit, a 3-4 year period with nothing major coming to USF wouldn't be cause for concern given they're building a brand new park. HOWEVER, Supercharged was a dud on such an epic scale that I don't quite understand greenlighting TWO E-Tickets at IOA back to back when it is incontrovertibly the superior park both with guests and critics.

The smart move would have been to delay the Jurassic project until after Fantastic Worlds and use the resources to build one of the many replacement options Universal Creative has ready to go for Shrek.

3. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

Rapidly expanding has its issues, sure but a lot of these rides are going to be cloned across all the parks which drives down development costs and should hopefully give a more reassured reaction to the new rides.

I think the JP coaster should be a relatively cheap addition by more modern Orlando parks standards and I think it’s also getting built to fight the inevitable reaction to the family coaster that’s replacing Dragon Challenge.

truejonas and natespf like this.
  4. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

Some quick overlays wouldn't be a terrible idea

Andysol and TheCodeMan95 like this.
  5. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

That’s more due to Pressler and that group more than anything.

Disneyhead likes this.
  6. natespf

natespf --Classified-- Premium Member

IoA needed a new thrill ride and JP needed to be revitalized. Just a hunch that the existing parks will get some big projects a little while after FW opens, but right now they want to make sure they're complete parks that'll last till then without getting in the way of those future projects. That'd still be quite a ways off so the specifics wouldn't be settled, and it'd be best to keep it flexible and options open.

7. OLSinFLA

OLSinFLA Veteran Member

Its not like they spent an extraordinary amount on the original DCA. And boy, it looked cheap.

Disneyhead likes this.
  8. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

My brother was in LA for business and went to DCA when it opened. I asked him how it was. He said it felt just like Kennywood Park, and about the same size. Now Kennywood is fine as an amusement park, but it's certainly not theme park level, and not all that large at 40 acres. I thought that was an interesting perception of DCA, at that time in it's existence.

Scott W. and jrn14 like this.
  9. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    I could not agree more with these sentiments. IOA is going to have an embarrassment of riches by the end of 2020. USF, despite all the investment there, is still the park that needs attention (in my opinion, obviously).

HPFred, Andysol, Coolbfitz and 2 others like this.
  10. SpatulaShack

SpatulaShack Rookie

Yes. In terms of attraction cadence the current plan makes sense if you're an executive not in tune with the overall needs of each park. USF got Fallon and Supercharged back-to-back in 2017 and 2018 respectively and now IOA is getting Hagrid and Jurassic back-to-back for 2019 and 2020 but it appears no one stopped to think about the existing strength of the offerings at each park before they made these decisions. In terms of overall investment costs I would guess that Fallon + Supercharged = Hagrid + Jurassic from a budget perspective so in the minds of executives they are investing equal amounts in each park and if you're only looking at numbers when making decisions instead of thinking holistically you end up with the current situation we're in. Objectively speaking, there is no doubt that IOA is getting unnecessary extra investment at a time when USF needs the attention the most.

No doubt the Orlando resort layout, ticketing structure, and the existence of the Hogwarts Express is making them less concerned about individual park balance than they otherwise would be but it's important to remember that IOA and USF are still separate gates. The caliber of their offerings should be in harmony regardless of whether or not the majority of people purchase a 2-park ticket or not. Each park should justify the $115 park ticket on their own.

HPFred, Andysol, nikki08 and 4 others like this.
  11. Happytycho

Happytycho Rookie

We should also keep in mind that USF provides far more than IOA in terms of seasonal events (Mardi Gras, Holidays) and daily entertainment (Cinematic Celebration, Superstar parade), which helps balance the value between the two.

Also, it's basically impossible to get it so all parks are perfect before taking a break to build a new one. I don't like it, but it's the reality of the situation. If they waited to build the third park until they got both USF and IOA to a "perfect" state, the third park would never get built.

12. SpatulaShack

SpatulaShack Rookie

But no one is saying they should wait until USF and IOA are in a perfect state before building park #3. We're saying the existing budgetary resources being spent for 2019 - 2020 at IOA could have been better spent at USF instead.

13. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

Future of KidZone, this discussion is not.

HPFred, Quint, TheCodeMan95 and 3 others like this.
  14. TheCodeMan95

TheCodeMan95 Rookie

So if Detective Pikachu does really well at the box office/gets great reviews.. could we see them possibly jump back onto the Pokemania train?

HPFred and jrn14 like this.
  15. Joe

No, they’re waiting to see the feedback from SNW in USJ. They were never off, just don’t want to commit to one philosophy at this time.

16. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

There is a reason why Uni didn't want to give Legendary money and be the distributor for the Pokemon films despite all the other failed films. Also secondly, WB isn't playing nice with their properties like they used to so even if they did want Pokemon, they wouldn't use Detective Pikachu's aesthetic and likely create their own.

truejonas and TheCodeMan95 like this.
  17. TheCodeMan95

TheCodeMan95 Rookie

Yeesh.. that's less than a year away now isn't it?

18. Joe

I mean yeah but once they get feedback they’ll likely put the project back on the burners.

TheCodeMan95 likes this.
  19. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

The reality of the situation is no one should be expecting a big land to open in USF before Fantastic Worlds anyway.

20. TheCodeMan95

TheCodeMan95 Rookie

I didn't necessarily mean the aesthetic of DP - but the movie will be bringing Pokémon back into the mainstream again.

Oh yeah absolutely - that was just me being blown away that the land is literally a year away from opening.