The Future of KidZone

shiekra38

Legendary Member
Dec 13, 2009
Florida
Honestly, I'd love to see Tokyo at USF and Godzilla would be a LOT of fun, but I feel that they need to keep this area kid friendly. Maybe *IF* they ever get rid of MIB or Simpsons or both we could get Tokyo and Godzilla there.

As for KidZone, the more and more I think about it, the more I'm all in on Pokemon taking over. I know they got a lot of Nintendo coming to all these Uni parks and even anchoring Fantastic Worlds here in town, but Nintendo is that IP umbrella that could fill entire parks and you wouldn't get the feeling that it's too much of something because they've got so much variety and "quality quantity" to go around. Not to mention the huge market for it.

IMO, the sooner they can bring Pokemon to KidZone, the better. I'm dreaming of a lengthy, no-restrictions omnimover with lush environments, animatronics, and special effects... culminating with a final scene blasting the Pokemon theme, lol! Random side note: I've been to a few conventions over the years and they always play the Pokemon theme during the parties and everyone always sings along and gets really into it. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but I did watch the show when I was younger both in Argentina and here in the US, and to this day I still remember the majority of the lyrics to the song, haha. It's catchy AF! But aside from the song, Pokemon in general continues to prove its wide appeal time and time again. And it's a merch behemoth. Anyways, Universal also really needs more chill, no-restrictions rides to round out their offerings, and this IP could really work for that type of ride, which is my main point. (I've also just wanted Universal to bring a chill omnimover ride to UOR for the longest time... I'm sure I've mentioned it here at least a few times in the almost 10 years that I've been on the forums. Some days you just want to do that type of ride without having to go down to the mouse kingdom).

Now please bear with me while I get stupid petty on a tangent, but I've had this thought in the back of my mind and I just gotta let it out... I love the fact that we're getting all these new offerings at UOR and most have been home-runs, but I've been having just a tiny bit of construction wall exhaustion, if you know what I mean? Yes, it's super petty... and yes it's a temporary inconvenience that enables us to have amazing new attractions and experiences... but I'm looking forward to the day when the park is free of year-round walls and it feels complete and show-ready all around. Idk, maybe the Jurassic Park wall-a-geddon got me shooketh, but damn, that's a lot of walls now :stun:

Ok, I let that out, but I also brought it up here specifically because KidZone does have the blessing of being this nook, so even if it was entirely walled off, the visual impact would be minimal in comparison to some of these other projects getting entire lands lined with walls. As a matter of fact, they could even just wall off the Curious George area in the back for a phase 1 of construction (keeping Animal Actors, ET, Woodpecker, Fievel, and Barney open as long as possible, sort of like they kept Dueling Dragons open as long as possible during Hogsmeade construction), then they could demo Curious George and the old parade building and that alone would be enough space for an E-ticket with an epic gift shop. You can basically fit an ET and a half in that area. Then once that's far enough along, they can close the rest of KidZone to finish "Pokemon City" with some new flat rides, F&B, M&G, and merch spots. But honestly, they could just give Animal Actors, Barney, Woodpecker, and Fievel a Pokemon overlay and I would't be mad about it. We'd have a whole new E-ticket back there and these bonus attractions would feel refreshed and revitalized with the new theme.

Alright, that's enough blue sky musings and ramblings for today, lol.

PS:

This is an interesting idea. There's not a lot of kid-friendly or low-restriction attractions at UOR, so having rotating kid-friendly experiences/attractions gives families with young kids (as well as guests with restrictions) more reasons to come back and have something new to do. Seasonal events definitely bring out the masses (HHN, Mardi Gras, Holidays, HP Celebration RIP), so maybe this concept could be a hit.

PPS: No matter what lies ahead for KidZone, there's gotta be some hesitation right now while they wait to see how Fantastic Worlds does, how attendance shifts/redistributes, etc... If then USF needs a boost, a revamp of KidZone could be one of the many ways to get that boost. Hopefully they don't wait that long, though, and KidZone can get some love soon. After Hagrid and JP at IoA, it would make sense and follow refurb trends to shift work to USF, so hopefully KidZone is next. If Shrek/SLoP is still a thing, it can wait, lol.

PPPS: Sorry for the humongous post. It's been a while and this was cathartic as hell, haha.
I wish I had the time to break this down, there are many things I love about your ideas

A Pokemon Snap type attraction would be great for re-ridability and an interactive experience where you choose your Pokemon with Professor Oak would be amazing

I do wonder if Universal is purposely waiting until more of the new film universe is fleshed out

Reactions: Felipe

Imperius

Veteran Member
Feb 28, 2015
What if everything from ET to London is flattened and Tokyo takes over with Godzilla, Pokemon, and Hello Kitty?
Yes please. I would prefer to keep MIB though unless the Pokémon snap ride took over the interactive ride fix.

Godzilla would be a massively plused Spider-Man to work. Driving through down town Tokyo with Godzilla fighting overhead and passing his giant AA feet and culminating to a similar Kong finish Witch Godzilla breathing atomic breath into the air.

Reactions: Felipe

belloq87

Veteran Member
Dec 7, 2009
Universal Exports
As the original Nintendo plans showed, there's plenty of room in KidZone to add multiple significant attractions without having to lose E.T. or anything else of real substance. Along with replacing Shrek with a dark ride, a multi-ride replacement of KidZone should be Universal's next major priority at USF (whenever they see fit to return their attention to that park, which will hopefully be sooner than halfway into the next decade).

comrade_bob

Newcomer
Mar 24, 2019
The construction wall horrors! LOL! But it would probably be amazing as a finished land. I do think a lot of people would be upset with MiB leaving, tho.
Please why the dislike for MiB?
Its a fav in my multi-generational family.
Ride it multiple times every time we go, and yes there is always a high score competition.
You do not like them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may!

Felipe

Premium Member
Sep 2, 2009
The Forbidden Forest
Please why the dislike for MiB?
Its a fav in my multi-generational family.
Ride it multiple times every time we go, and yes there is always a high score competition.
You do not like them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may!
You might've misread. No dislike at all for MiB. Quite the opposite: I said people would be upset if MiB leaves.

I've been on MiB more times than I can remember and while it's not my favorite attraction, I really enjoy it! (Also the sweet, sweet A/C within the ride building. The express/single rider MiB queue might have the best and coldest A/C in all of UOR lol).

AlexanderMBush

Legendary Member
Nov 23, 2013
Arizona
What if everything from ET to London is flattened and Tokyo takes over with Godzilla, Pokemon, and Hello Kitty?
I'd have NO complaints.

Sanrio and Pokemon alone, would sell the land insanely easily to wide demographics; and Godzilla along with recreations of Tokyo based landmarks and locations (like Shibuya, for instance) would be amazing opportunities for the skyline.

Edit: Removed my prior post, as that was my nerdy self chiming in like a freaking lion..but I do want to make a point.

Osaka, would likely be a great help for Universal. Especially when it comes towards the relationships Osaka has built in the business, thanks in part towards them bringing Toei Entertainment (Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon), TMS Entertainment (Lupin and Case Closed/Detective Conan), and Toho (as mentioned, Godzilla but also Evangelion to some extent). If Orlando UC wants to tackle Tokyo and Japan as an themed environment, they'd be able to work potentially alongside their Japanese brother, ensuring things can be translated well for the sake of not being polarizing.

They could also be great in influencing certain IP's, like as mentioned Godzilla due to Universal Cool continuing to be a success for the Osaka based park.

Last edited:

Nick

Staff member
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
That would be awesome. One of the only internationally recognizable cities left after that would be Paris, but the only thing that could be done theme park wise with Paris would be Fantastic Beasts and as far as is rumored, that's going to Fantastic Worlds.

fryoj

Premium Member
May 19, 2013
Too much room for one city. Godzilla is worth one ride. Hello Kitty is worth a store. Pokemon is worth a land, but not that big of a land. They could do all you suggested and get at least another area or two with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick

soilsigh

Rookie
Mar 11, 2018
Austin, TX
Although I am a huge fan of the 30 some films of Godzilla (Gojira) and a fan of Ghidorah and Mothra, I don't think I want a Universal ride based on the material. I would want the level of set design and animatronics used in Kongfrontation with the application of today's technology, of course. Universal would most likely make a ride with dome screens and it just would not reach my expectations. A pokemon land sounds great and a play area of hello kitty would be nice for the little ones. Tokyo, yes please!! City sets really do need to be applied to that side of the park.

MIB needs to stick around even if the IP is fading I would rather Fear Factor Live replacement and MIB be joined into a London facade and have Tokyo begin with the replacement of Simpsons.

AlexanderMBush

Legendary Member
Nov 23, 2013
Arizona
Too much room for one city. Godzilla is worth one ride. Hello Kitty is worth a store. Pokemon is worth a land, but not that big of a land. They could do all you suggested and get at least another area or two with it.
Sanrio has a lot of characters that can fit a decent family sized land. It shouldn't have to be just Hello Kitty.

fryoj

Premium Member
May 19, 2013
Sanrio deserves a Hogsmeade sized land.
Sanrio has a lot of characters that can fit a decent family sized land. It shouldn't have to be just Hello Kitty.
Not in this country. Maybe at USJ. This is like Laika and people's other pet IP's. Universal has plenty of IP's that are more deserving and will have a higher ROI.

belloq87

Veteran Member
Dec 7, 2009
Universal Exports
Although I am a huge fan of the 30 some films of Godzilla (Gojira) and a fan of Ghidorah and Mothra, I don't think I want a Universal ride based on the material. I would want the level of set design and animatronics used in Kongfrontation with the application of today's technology, of course. Universal would most likely make a ride with dome screens and it just would not reach my expectations.
This is the way I feel about it, as well. I like the Godzilla films, but I just don't think there's a way to practically deliver an attraction I would find compelling.

Reactions: soilsigh

Mad Dog

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
We walk through the Orlando Hello Kitty store a couple of times on our visits, though it's more to look at the Betty Boop merch. I have yet to see more than a couple of customers in the store on any visit.

Reactions: jrn14 and fryoj

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
This is the way I feel about it, as well. I like the Godzilla films, but I just don't think there's a way to practically deliver an attraction I would find compelling.
If they did it something akin to the first Kong, I think it could work - but it would have to be built in a monster-sized *rimshot* building.

Scott W.

Premium Member
Feb 26, 2014
Glasgow
This has always been my ideal layout for Universal. Obviously, the current roster doesn't allow for this.

USF is real places and the stories within; New York, San Fransisco, Los Angeles, London & Tokyo.

IOA is fantasy places but (based on reality) and the stories within; MSHI, Skull Island, Jurassic Park, Hogsmeade & Lost Continent.

Fantastic Worlds is complete fantasy.