1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

The Future of KidZone

Discussion in 'Universal Studios Florida' started by Brian G., May 27, 2014.

1. soma27

soma27 Newcomer

So with the likely move of SNW to the new park and a new concept for the kid zone space.......any updated rumors on a ET closure?? Hoping it makes it a few more years for one final full family trip.

happy bunny rabbit likes this.
  2. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

Not going anywhere for awhile.

3. LintemuthStudios

LintemuthStudios Veteran Member

If SNW doesn't get put in Kidzone, ET will probably stay for the long run.

happy bunny rabbit and Ashhanbre like this.
  4. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

Yeah, I remember IU also putting out a article back in June of last year indicating that ET will be saved in any expansion that would be in Kidzone for right now.

soma27 and Ashhanbre like this.
  5. UniversalRBLX

UniversalRBLX Veteran Member

Wouldn’t be surprised if Uni decides to do a major upgrade to ET whenever something new comes to Kidzone.

soma27 and Ashhanbre like this.
  6. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

Minus Spiderman, that would be out of character for them

7. WebHead1138

WebHead1138 Rookie

E.T. will be replaced when Spielberg passes away.

8. AlexanderMBush

Spielberg is going to be alive and kicking for a while. And even then, it may be an estate issue aswell, so you'd have to deal with that variable into account.

The attraction..isn't in the best of states.

I actually wouldn't be surprised that they do it eventually, but I don't see it for right now.

happy bunny rabbit and shiekra38 like this.
  9. Iwalkpluto

Iwalkpluto Newcomer

Not for nothing dismissing an idea outright because in your area of the universe DBZ and the like is not popular is a bit rude.
    Is Nintendo more popular than anime here in the US? Yes it is but I would also venture to say DBZ is a lot more popular than Dudley Doo Right, Dr. Seuss, ET and MIB is. Anime conventions in the US have blown up in attendance and they are full of people from all walks of life.
    DBZ itself is still incredibly popular. Many people in their 20's reminisce about DBZ right along with Pokemon.
    Anime is a lot more mainstream than it once was. Plus it is equally liked by both genders. Anime also has a big draw outside US in countries like Mexico, Brazil and Colombia. It's very popular in South America overall.
    Growing up Nintendo was an incredibly niche product and after decades it has become mainstream. I believe Anime in 5-10 years will continue to become more and more mainstream.

Please try not to dismiss another person's idea outright because it does not correlate with your current life experiences. Instead ask why do they think DBZ is a good fit and delve into their experiences. The mods have backed off substantially and are allowing us to speculate. Let us not do what the mods were doing and shut down speculation among ourselves that we do not like.

quinnmac000 and JoeCamel like this.
  10. AlexanderMBush

If anything, JS is actually more right on the money.

Anime, has grown so much in a short time frame, from 2013 onward, sites like Crunchyroll, Funimation, and streaming networks like Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime have hit it off on a lot of exclusive content, with critical hits for storytelling and Animation.

That said, Anime is nowhere near to the popularity of lesser large brands like Tonight Show, like Transformers, and like Classic Monsters (counting Mummy).

If a Tokyo land were to happen, the two that would be without question, are Hello Kitty/Sanrio and Godzilla (he's more iconic than Kong in some ways) for IPs. However, if they were to do something anime oriented, it's probably be Dragonball before any other anime IP, and it's not because of what you can pull, but is more of what Dragonball has been in popularity and awareness.

It's popularity and pop culture status knows no bounds, with countless spinoffs, sequels, games, animated movies, and the iconic manga series that has spanned for a long time. And that out of all of them, it may be the easiest to translate when you go Transformers and do bare bones.

I want a Tokyo/Japan area, as it leaves so much potential on the floor, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did, there would be a lack of anime used, and if there is one, it's Dragonball.

RevFreako likes this.
  11. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

Well... if we're going "pure" anime, Dragonball is the go-to. But there's already a far more popular and familiar anime being considered.

*gasp*

That's right. Pokemon. That's the "anime" Universal will use for the American market.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  12. AlexanderMBush

And while I was waiting to see if someone would bring that up, I would imagine they'd go more for the actual games (or Detective Pikachu, if they really want to go there) as the basis.

13. Imperius

Imperius Veteran Member

Detective Pikachu isn’t coming to the parks. Anime with games will be used.

14. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

People also said Nintendo would never come for multiple years on the forum before the merger, hello kitty is unmarketable despite how much revenue it actually makes to the point Universal is thinking of a land and decided to add it to USH, and many other things. People's actual interests and worldview for them >>> than whats outside such as the fact anime is a 25 billion dollar industry with huge markets in China, Taiwan, South Korea, France, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Canada, Mexico, and Saudi Arabia which four are growing markets for Orlando (Brazil, Germany, Canada, Mexico). The fact Comcast is actively working more on Japanese anime means more than likely its coming.

I don't even like a lot of the IPs at Universal or Disney but its way more about the execution than the IP. (See Avatar at Disney lets be real despite it being a blockbuster its fandom was niche)

Doug A. and Frank Drackman like this.
  15. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

There's an issue with arguing for "anime" at the parks though. Anime is a genre, and parks can't license a genre. They license IPs. THAT'S the crux of an argument against "anime" in the US parks. It's the same as arguing about the profitability of the "video game industry" in conjunction with theme parks; you're talking specific things but including Flappy Bird and Fruit Baskets with your broad strokes.

Universal is looking for globally recognizable and profitable IPs. The international licenses (as they're owned in Japan, and thus domestic for USJ) is normally more expensive than domestic rights. They have to consider if any individual IPs are worth licensing by focusing on if those IPs (not the genre) are popular in their target regions (not globally). Sure, DBZ just achieved $5b total net worth last year. What percentage of that is coming from the Eastern US, Europe, and South America? But Sanrio is worth $7b each year, and I saw a lot more Hello Kitty growing up in Florida (and around Texas now) than Dragonball.

DBZ's, the most profitable pure anime, net worth still can't compete with more global and (important) locally owned IPs. If you want anime in Orlando, for the near future, Pokemon is your poison.

16. AlexanderMBush

I would just think that if Pokemon comes with a Tokyo land, they would not go for the anime. Not everyone and not every kid is watching Sun/Moon, or have watched previous versions of the Pokemon anime series.

17. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

Well, it's not like the aesthetic of Pokeland would be pixel art. It's going to match the look of the anime. Pokemon is defined by that look rather than the games.

18. AlexanderMBush

Here's the thing though, Pokemon has been moving away from 2D visuals for a long time in the gaming spectrum, and that it has also been rumored more that the Pokemon Switch title would make the jump to Unreal 4. Not to mention how it'd been handling it's art style more and more with models and environments, I wouldn't exactly say it's impossible that they can use the games effectively without having to use the anime. It would have to be more though on modern aesthetics than classical aesthetics.

19. Imperius

Imperius Veteran Member

Would find it hard to believe Ash, Misty, and Brock don’t make their way as meet and greets based off their original character looks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  20. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

It would be cool if they had animatronic/puppet Pokemon Meet and Greets...Judging by how successful the JP one was, I can only imagine what a Pokemon version would be like..

Also, I would like for all the human characters to be much like Harry in HP World, projection only, and only in the rides/pre-shows