The Great Universal Movie Ride Blue Sky Thread | Inside Universal Forums

The Great Universal Movie Ride Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Galaxy Defender

V.I.P. Member
Oct 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Many here have mentioned wanting The Great Universal Movie Ride. It can feature rides no longer with us and so much more. It would be so ironic to have one built as WDW is tearing their GMR apart.

What would you put in such a ride? What kind of ride system? Would you use any screenz? Would you put it in US or in the new park?

I can see so many possibilities.

Reactions: Mike S
First off, I have been thinking as of late..and if they would ever do it; I think we already have the perfect area for it.

BiTTD9z.jpg

Remarkably, there is enough room of Shrek and the Monster's Café that you can do a major E-Ticket of; and in my mind if they would, this would arguably be the best location for a Universal Movie Ride in some sort of manner.

What it would include.. is simple.

~Phantom of The Opera (1925)
~Dracula (1929)
~Frankenstein (1931)
~The Mummy (1932)
~Psycho (1960)
~The Birds (1963)
~ET (1982)
~Back to the Future (1985, don't showcase it's sequels)
~Jurassic Park (1993)
~Despicable Me (2010)

It would be a Trackless attraction, featuring Musion; Animatronics and Screens, with the ride vehicles seating Eight People per car as the building would be on two floors. One for the line (and Preshow on the making of film); with the second being of the actual Ride itself. It would be a family attraction, with a very low height restriction (36, tbe) as the theme of the attraction is celebrating on some of Universal's most iconic films, and not in 3D.

The façade for the attraction would be a pristine movie theatre (no relationship to Hollywood to make sense) as it's main entrance would be just as you enter New York from the main drag. There would also be façade changes to the side facing the stage/DMMM to look more like buildings from a generic City, as an outdoor extended line faces that side. That would also allow changes to accommodate a new façade for Despicable Me.

There would also be a change to Transformers, allowing an indoor extended line, north of the attractions entrance for Transformers. That way, it allow's them to have guests inside a place with air condition and not to endure the summer heats..

So in essence.

(Blue = New Extended line for Transformers)
(Red = The Universe of Cinemagic {I dare you to remember what that title was from})

Boat ride or Omnimover- with practical scenes and music from each movie, featuring AA and special effects, but no screens- unless its part of the background.

ET
Back to the Future
JAWS
Babe
Apollo 13
Waterworld
Psycho
To Kill a Mockingbird
Field of Dreams
The Birds
Earthquake

I purposely left off the Universal Monsters as I would like to see them get their own separate ride.

Boat ride or Omnimover- with practical scenes and music from each movie, featuring AA and special effects, but no screens- unless its part of the background.

ET
Back to the Future
JAWS
Babe
Apollo 13
Waterworld
Psycho
To Kill a Mockingbird
Field of Dreams
The Birds
Earthquake

I purposely left off the Universal Monsters as I would like to see them get their own separate ride.

I'm curious to know why you would want to see Waterworld featured here as opposed to being featured as a full on show? I would imagine that'd be the better train of thought, but that's just me.

Movies:
All Quiet on the Western Front
Universal Monster section
Abbott and Costello
Hitchcock section
Spartacus
**king kong vs Godzilla **** wouldn't happen
Jaws
BTTF 2 due to future setting
ET
Jurassic Park
Last ones I would love Bourne or Edgar wright movies but would probably do Minions

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
Facade and queue: Real working studio with live actors playing actors, bus boys, catering teams, etc rushing and running about in full costume and totally hamming it up as you go through the queue until you hit Soundstage 28 (home to Phantom of the Opera Full scale replica which also serves as the loading and unloading and opening ride scene. Who are you? You are the studio execs, directors, producers, and crew studying films to attempt to create the next great film. How are you going to do this? By going back through the world's most memorable films.

Vehicle: A 8 passenger golf cart/boat like vehicle with different seats such as studio exec, producer, director, cinematographer etc with each seat having certain gadgets and gizmos for interactive ride experience. The studio exec has the ability to greenlight a movie (allowing you to ride through said movie), producer has the fun job of activating said scene, director in certain scenes utilizing live actors will be able to totally change up the scene, cinematographer is in charge of capturing moments on camera which leads to an end of the ride surprise and the crew get to just sit back and enjoy and play with their props (mainly for those boring people who don't really like interactive things). The ride vehicle operates on land as well as in water for certain films.

Ride: The ride itself is a sometimes slow, sometimes fast, and always surprising and changing 100 scene ride with multiple ride profiles due to interactive features, reridability and to showcase over 120 different memorable films in an ~27 minute long attraction. Ride scenes not only come from just Universal films, but Warner Bros and Paramount as well with a small section dedicated to foreign films as those three are the last few of the remaining of Old Hollywood's Big 5.

Some films featured in the ride utilizing AA, full scale replicas, practical effects and live actors include:
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)
Phantom Of the Opera (1925)
Gone with the Wind (1940)
King of Jazz (1930)
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Imitation of life (1934)
Gung Ho (1943)
To Sir with Love
Yentl
Grease
Spartacus
Titanic
The Birds
Pyscho
The Color Purple
Out of Africa
Jaws
Back to the future 1 and 2
Gremlins
Goonies
ET
Gypsy
Saturday Night Fever
Interview with a Vampire
Planet of the Apes
Godzilla
Hidden Dragon Crouching Tiger
The Fifth Element
Desperado
All of John Hughes films
Lawrence of Arabia
It Came From Outer Space
and many many more!

All rides will include The Phantom of the Opera as that starts out the ride and Titanic...mainly Titanic as you are there for three scenes (Jack and Rose in the King of the World scene, the extremely wet sinking of the titanic, and lastly the stuck on the water waiting for rescue Jack and Rose screen)

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
What would I like to see from a Great Universal Movie Ride? An animatronics showcase with huge sets, and (real) fire, water, wind, smoke, steam, fog, and spark effects (and, yes, screens and projections where appropriate). In terms of a storyline, it’s tough; maybe you could concoct something where a key character from Universal’s history (Doc Brown, perhaps?) has - through magical mumbo-jumbo - “escaped” from the cinematic world, and is inviting us to join him and “Ride the Movies.”

What properties would I like to see for sure, and in what sort of context?

- Dracula: A recreation of the scene where Renfield meets Dracula for the first time, with a grand, cobweb-covered, decrepit hall and Dracula standing at the top of the steps.
- Frankenstein: Frankenstein’s lab during the lightning storm that brings his monster to life, complete with spark and steam effects.
- The Wolf Man: A fog-shrouded forest where the Wolf Man stalks a victim.
- Classic Monsters Catch-All: A scene, perhaps in a cemetery, focusing on the rest of the Monsters family - Bride of Frankenstein, the Mummy, the Invisible Man, Phantom of the Opera, and Creature from the Black Lagoon (perhaps rising up from a body of water).
- Psycho: A forced perspective recreation of the Bates Motel and the house on the hill behind it, with Norman and Mother’s voices coming from inside (basically the same setup the old Hitchcock show had), which would transition directly into…
- The Birds: A scene inside the house as the birds attack via projection or musion effects interacting with real elements on the set.
- Comedy Catch-All: Scene with Abbott and Costello, characters from Animal House, The Blues Brothers, The Breakfast Club, Shaun of the Dead, etc.
- Back to the Future: A semi-launched straightaway tunnel (a combination of speed on the level of the faster interior portions of Test Track and projection effects to simulate even greater speed as we travel through time) before moving into a forced perspective scene of the clocktower.
- Jaws: An attack by the shark inside Quint’s boathouse, complete with real fire effects.
- E.T.: Basically a condensed version of the beginning scenes of the current ride (a chase through the forest followed by flying over the moon).

There are likely other movies that should be represented, but those are the ones I think for sure need to be included. We’d then move into the big finale scene, which would be a shameless ripoff of the original proposed ending to The Great Movie Ride, where every AA character we’ve seen in the ride returns (perhaps in a recreation of Phantom of the Opera’s original opera house set, or maybe the exterior of a gala movie premiere) and takes a bow.

Ride system/vehicle? My dream for this attraction would be for Universal to somehow come up with a way for it to basically be several different ride systems in one. We might move through the Classic Monsters sections in a slower, more sedate style, then move into a launched straightaway tunnel for a Back to the Future sequence, then we’d slow down and suddenly find ourselves sinking into a dark body of water as we enter Quint’s boathouse and are attacked by the shark. For E.T., we'd feel ourselves lifting up into the air to fly. Doing that sort of thing is probably impossible, or at the very least would be massively expensive, but I don't care!

Attraction name: "Ride the Movies: A Universal Adventure"

Last edited:
For this much dreamt of attraction I always imagined the ride vehicle would resemble a car from the USH backlot tram. Since USF doesn't have a tour I think this could be the park's substitute. I thought the Kong vehicle base would be perfect but with F&F possibly using it I'm not so sure now.