1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

The Grinch (2018)

Discussion in 'Games, Movies & Sports' started by AlexanderMBush, Apr 13, 2016.

1. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

It was announced of Benedict Cumberbatch of him taking over the role of the one and only Grinch for Illuminations upcoming adaptation; simply titled: The Grinch.

The cast news is from Cinemacon, and the film releases next year by Universal and Illumination.

So, thoughts on the casting?

To me, I put it at this. I am curious on how they'll handle this character that's beloved, even more than The Lorax and arguably the Cat.

Edit: ...So, the Lorax twitter posted this official look of the green menace..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    AdmiralHHN, WAJAS98 and Fatality like this.
  2. Andy

Andy aka Hatetofly V.I.P.

Cannot wait for this!!! Illumination is on a roll right now so hopefully this is a home run!!

AlexanderMBush likes this.
  3. DK745

DK745 Member

Universal has to do a ride based on this, right? How can you not use Benedict Cumberbatch when you have the opportunity?

Hopefully this turns out better than the live action film. Gonna be tough since the animated show 50 years ago is a classic.

Suprachica79 and Kat Kong like this.
  4. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

Benedict Cumberbatch Set To Star In ‘How The Grinch Stole Christmas’ | Deadline

AlexanderMBush likes this.
  5. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

I still watch the Jim Carrey movie every year. I know it's reception was mixed but I think this one has a lot to live up to.

Suprachica79 and pat_naughty05 like this.
  6. quinnmac000

7. ThemeParks4Life

ThemeParks4Life Veteran Member

8. TheGentTrent

TheGentTrent Member

If I had to guess, they probably want a film with holiday staying power like Frozen. That'd be tricky to do with Star Wars Episode 8 coming out a month after the original date.

9. AlexanderMBush

While I would agree, one year..is something to maybe worry about.

10. quinnmac000

Nope. Standard in animation. Means they are having more time to perfect the film rather than rush and get it down.

11. AlexanderMBush

And I wouldn't be surprised if its that, but it does make me worried a bit; in a strange sense.

12. quinnmac000

The only other reason I would be worried is if Universal is planning to add new original songs and trying to find some famous popstar to write the music kinda what Dreamworks did with Trolls and is also doing with Larrikin in hopes to pull a Pharrell and a JT by having a popular song attached to the movie

13. ThemeParks4Life

ThemeParks4Life Veteran Member

Illumination probably wasn't ready to do two movies in one year, simple as that

IAmFloridaBorn likes this.
  14. quinnmac000

15. AlexanderMBush

At the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, a new balloon debuted, revealing a new look of The Grinch, and revealing the design of Max.

UNIrd likes this.
  16. quinnmac000

17. fryoj

fryoj Premium Member

Hmm, might be getting some back story. By not calling it "How the grinch stole Christmas" it opens them up to be able to tell more of the story, and thats a good thing.

18. Tobias

Tobias Member

*See's a younger Grinch and that tagline* Uh ohhhh, this is giving off some major red flags.

Those who hate the live action version would certainly tell that more story is NOT a good thing, and while I do like the live action version, I can acknowledge that one of the complaints about it is the Who's are -worse- then the Grinch himself. An' with what this poster is teasing, it can fall into the exact same issue. (The Grinch was good and kind hearted, but then some Whoville kids were jerks, now he hates Christmas and the Who's, rinse repeat.)

19. AlexanderMBush

To be honest, letting go of just the title of stealing Christmas gives me the vibes that this film will be completely about The Grinch, and that I am almost betting that it will be giving a reference to Grinch Night in the process, if it isn't just going to be doing How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

20. fryoj

fryoj Premium Member

Well they could do a word for word retelling of the original story, but what would be the point of that? The live action movie is fine to me, but I don't want the same exact story as that either. I think a story that shows that the Who's are bad people who think they are good really would fit in today's society. Both from a "me first" aspect and a "don't be mean to people that are different" aspect. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to each person's personal feelings though. I just want something new. They have to touch on the basics of the grinch stealing Christmas, but if they look at it another way, I think thats a good thing. Honestly, as loved as the grinch is, I wouldn't mind if the Who's were the bad people and the Grinch is teaching them a lesson about their ways. At the end, they realize they were the ones who were wrong. But thats just spitballing.