Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Grinch (2018)

The story was released and explains why the Grinch was in Whoville.

Academy Award® nominee Benedict Cumberbatch lends his voice to the infamous Grinch, who lives a solitary life inside a cave on Mt. Crumpet with only his loyal dog, Max, for company. With a cave rigged with inventions and contraptions for his day-to-day needs, the Grinch only sees his neighbors in Who-ville when he runs out of food.

Each year at Christmas they disrupt his tranquil solitude with their increasingly bigger, brighter and louder celebrations. When the Whos declare they are going to make Christmas three times bigger this year, the Grinch realizes there is only one way for him to gain some peace and quiet: he must steal Christmas. To do so, he decides he will pose as Santa Claus on Christmas Eve, even going so far as to trap a lackadaisical misfit reindeer to pull his sleigh.<

Meanwhile, down in Who-ville, Cindy-Lou Who-a young girl overflowing with holiday cheer-plots with her gang of friends to trap Santa Claus as he makes his Christmas Eve rounds so that she can thank him for help for her overworked single mother. As Christmas approaches, however, her good-natured scheme threatens to collide with the Grinch's more nefarious one. Will Cindy-Lou achieve her goal of finally meeting Santa Claus? Will the Grinch succeed in silencing the Whos' holiday cheer once and for all?
Wow. The more they release about this movie, the more I loathe Illumination. :lol:

The story was released and explains why the Grinch was in Whoville.

Academy Award® nominee Benedict Cumberbatch lends his voice to the infamous Grinch, who lives a solitary life inside a cave on Mt. Crumpet with only his loyal dog, Max, for company. With a cave rigged with inventions and contraptions for his day-to-day needs, the Grinch only sees his neighbors in Who-ville when he runs out of food.

Each year at Christmas they disrupt his tranquil solitude with their increasingly bigger, brighter and louder celebrations. When the Whos declare they are going to make Christmas three times bigger this year, the Grinch realizes there is only one way for him to gain some peace and quiet: he must steal Christmas. To do so, he decides he will pose as Santa Claus on Christmas Eve, even going so far as to trap a lackadaisical misfit reindeer to pull his sleigh.<

Meanwhile, down in Who-ville, Cindy-Lou Who-a young girl overflowing with holiday cheer-plots with her gang of friends to trap Santa Claus as he makes his Christmas Eve rounds so that she can thank him for help for her overworked single mother. As Christmas approaches, however, her good-natured scheme threatens to collide with the Grinch's more nefarious one. Will Cindy-Lou achieve her goal of finally meeting Santa Claus? Will the Grinch succeed in silencing the Whos' holiday cheer once and for all?

I understand that they need to expand the scope of the story to fill a feature-length movie, but yikes...

This sounds like lots of needless changes and wrinkles added. A misfit reindeer? Because we can't have the Grinch appear too mean by having Max pull his sleigh, right? Get outta here!

Also if you didn't notice Peter Candeland the first director is not part of the project anymore. I am hearing the first version did not test well at all.

Also if you didn't notice Peter Candeland the first director is not part of the project anymore. I am hearing the first version did not test well at all.

Way back when the project was announced, wasn't the film scheduled to come out for the holiday season of 2017? I might be misremembering that, but I seem to recall the movie was pushed back. Would make sense if they felt they needed to make changes.

That's correct, it was delayed a full year due to directorial changes. This is why there was no 2017 holiday release by Illumination, much to Pixar's benefit with Coco. Hearing just how filler this version is, I don't even want to imagine what their first pass was.

That's correct, it was delayed a full year due to directorial changes. This is why there was no 2017 holiday release by Illumination, much to Pixar's benefit with Coco. Hearing just how filler this version is, I don't even want to imagine what their first pass was.

It was too serious is what I'm hearing.

To say this, The Grinch to me, has always seemed in the book and animated version by Chuck Jones (And I'm also counting Grinch Night into this in a way), as a pessimistic, narcissistic, recluse, that even if he has to go out, he will be a jerk (I want to say something else, but won't) to everyone around him.

I am interested to see how the animated film portrays him further, and that I am going to wait till the second trailer to determine whether or not I am sold on the film, and that it's a method that is actually becoming more and more used for myself when it comes to Illumination in general.

If they get to do it. Nintendo has already said they will pull it if it doesn't meet their standards. I have a feeling Illumination and Ninty will find they have creative differences and the project may go to DreamWorks.

I honestly think that if Nintendo and Illumination would have creative differences that would've made the project go elsewhere, we would not of seen the announcement made in the first place to even begin with.

I honestly think they can't skimp out on that project, and that I do think that even without Nintendo having their own creative standards, the Mario Project will be also looked at via by Universal Pictures just in general, to ensure that they don't dip down into Minions level humor.

DG-12-19-20134.jpg

The Grinch steals Christmas because he prefers piece and quiet? What... a motive.

I honestly think that if Nintendo and Illumination would have creative differences that would've made the project go elsewhere, we would not of seen the announcement made in the first place to even begin with.

I honestly think they can't skimp out on that project, and that I do think that even without Nintendo having their own creative standards, the Mario Project will be also looked at via by Universal Pictures just in general, to ensure that they don't dip down into Minions level humor.

Super Mario Movie Could Still Be Called Off Says Miyamoto
^this was said after the partnership was announced

Super Mario Movie Could Still Be Called Off Says Miyamoto
^this was said after the partnership was announced

At the same time both companies already spent two years discussing the project and the story before publicly making the announcement. That's a lot of time invested to later say lets walk. As long as Illumination doesn't get an in house director (which is why SING is considered the best critically out of the recent releases because it had an outside director) and doesn't use the college student interns as animators, the project will be a success.

At the same time both companies already spent two years discussing the project and the story before publicly making the announcement. That's a lot of time invested to later say lets walk. As long as Illumination doesn't get an in house director (which is why SING is considered the best critically out of the recent releases because it had an outside director) and doesn't use the college student interns as animators, the project will be a success.

Development is a long process and convincing Nintendo is even longer. Universal spent ages courting them for the theme parks. I bet that actual story development is only just now starting.

Yeeesh.

Finally took a look at this and I guess it's about what I expect from Illumination but it's certainly not a level that The Grinch deserves to be brought down to. Seeing the minion in the beginning, then Happy playing and The Grinch just casually walking around the supermarket being a douche was rough.

The animation looks fine as you'd expect, but that's about all I can say good about it so far.