1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

The Grinch (2018)

Discussion in 'Games, Movies & Sports' started by AlexanderMBush, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan Staff Member Moderator

We're not talking about what it indicates of the film, we're talking about Illumination's obnoxious marketing techniques. The problem is that Illumination views their films as product first, film second.

ThemeParks4Life and HereWeGo like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

People feel the way they do because Illumination has a reputation for making films that stoop to the lowest common denominator and care little about developing a good story or plot. Say what you want about Luxo in the Pixar intro, but at least they seem to give a damn about the end product they're putting forward.

3. quinnmac000

quinnmac000 Veteran Member

Cough Cough good dinosaur and Cars 2....

IAmFloridaBorn likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Ok, so two movies. Nobody claimed Pixar hasn’t had blunders.

I would counter by saying the entire Illumination library outside of the original DM is practically unwatchable.

5. fryoj

fryoj Premium Member

Pretty much every kid in the world disagrees.

You know.. The target demographic.

RevFreako and Legacy like this.
  6. RevFreako

RevFreako Member

But that is exactly what it is. It isn't the film friendship, it's the film industry. The only reason you view it as film before product is because it isn't your product.

Legacy, fryoj and AlexanderMBush like this.
  7. gbird

gbird Rookie

I have had to sit through Sing many times and wasnt that bad, plus SLOP whilst disappointing certainly wasnt unwatchable

RevFreako likes this.
  8. captainmoch

captainmoch Veteran Member

Doesn't mean we, as consumers have to like it or support it though. Especially when many other studios make products but still make sure their products have actual quality.

ThemeParks4Life, HereWeGo and Ryan like this.
  9. IAmFloridaBorn

IAmFloridaBorn Veteran Member

As far as this Grinch, the trailer made me laugh, and that wins it for me. I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of the movie because I'm not overthinking a plot wayyyyyyy before it comes out.

Secret Life of Pets is unbearable to watch. Not sure how that movie made so much money. SING on the other hand was awesome.

10. Ryan

Ah good to know the discussion has now come to the “it’s just for KIDS” argument. Honestly I’d be happier if children were getting quality entertainment over mediocre trash, but that’s just me. Pixar makes wonderful films for all ages, but eh they’re just for kids so animation can’t be good?

Tell that to other companies that spend their money towards story development unlike Illumination who actually defers those funds towards marketing instead. At least most studios want their films to be yknow, good?

11. fryoj

fryoj Premium Member

That's your opinion. My daughter hated Inside Out, one of those "wonderful films". Thats fine if Pixar wants to make their movies go over kid's heads so the adults like them. But at the end of the day, they are kid's movies. And whatever Illumination is doing seems to work. Trashing their product because you don't like it is pointless.

imagin78 and RevFreako like this.
  12. Ryan

If this was a fringe opinion but most critics happened to agree with it... and it's an opinion? I never said nobody is allowed to like Illumination. In fact, I like the original Despicable Me. It's a cute movie. But the powers that be squirreled their reputation away in actual factual production facts in the industry overall. That's my point.

If your daughter likes it, fine, but I believe overall they do a disservice to animation. I'm sorry if my opinion is "invalid" because "they're just kids movies".

captainmoch, bob albert and HereWeGo like this.
  13. LintemuthStudios

LintemuthStudios Veteran Member

I actually like SLOP. It's a fun movie. :shrug:

14. Disneyhead

Disneyhead Veteran Member

I know that $$$$ doesn't equal quality, but comparing the last 2 offerings,

Illumination's DM3 made $1.035 Billion.

PIXAR's Coco made $748.9 million.

15. fryoj

fryoj Premium Member

Critics are not their target demographic either. Nor is Rotten Tomatoes. It's kids, and they do a good job making movies that kids want to see.

Illumination makes movies that kids want to see over and over. That's their business model, and they are good at it. If giving it a story that critics and adults like costs them a few hundred million, there isn't an incentive to do it.

RevFreako, Mad Dog and Legacy like this.
  16. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Disney's animation output is the highest quality, but it doesn't mean Illumination's is trash. I've honestly liked everything they've put out, especially Despicable Me, Secret Life of Pets and Sing. The DM sequels had a significant drop-off in quality but were still watchable and pretty entertaining.

IAmFloridaBorn and RevFreako like this.
  17. RevFreako

RevFreako Member

It's not JUST for kids, but it's FOR kids. One kid's opinion is more important here than every adult's at once. You are not the target audience.

18. RevFreako

RevFreako Member

You don't have to like it, but the fact that the intended audience, which is children, does, is what matters here.

Mad Dog, Legacy and fryoj like this.
  19. ThemeParks4Life

ThemeParks4Life Veteran Member

Which is over 100M more than what Sing made.

captainmoch, bob albert and HereWeGo like this.
  20. captainmoch

captainmoch Veteran Member

But kids will like any garbage you show them. I'd much rather show my kid something that will help them think and develop then bouncy colors that will shut them up for two hours. But maybe I'm getting a bit pretentious. :lol:
    :sick::sick::sick:

HereWeGo likes this.