The Leftovers | Inside Universal Forums

The Leftovers

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 21, 2016
Does anyone on here watch this show (on HBO)?

Premier episode of the final season aired tonight.

Just my opinion, but easily the best thing on TV currently and Likely my favorite series of all time. At the very least- it's certainly top 3 with the wire and breaking bad.

Although this seems to be the best show that no one is watching. Am I on an island here?

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I agree, it's the best show on air right now. The premiere was absolutely killer.

Totally agree. This show is completely fresh, unique, brave and ahead of its time. While the first season was painfully depressing- the 2nd season really took off to make this show the best of all time for me. I believe it certainly helps that I've had some loss in my life- I've had two daughters die (one stillborn and one at 14 months). I think those who have experienced loss and grief certainly have a different perspective watching this show (not that it can't be great without experiencing loss).

Regarding the opener:
-Absolutely loved the obscure opening this season. Prelude to the entire episode. This focus on the dates of the world ending- much like the 7th anniversary is going to be the end of the world, allegedly. But what the opener proves is that you don't have to have the world end to have YOUR world end- like the religious lady did- losing everyone and everything she loved and cared about.
-My brother brought up a great point to me about this episodes. Lots of allusions to genesis in the Bible. The baby being named Noah. Old Norah at the end being called Sarah- which is the name God changes Abrhams wife's name to. The Doves- which is the Holy Spirit and used as gods promise to not flood the world again- etc
On that note: I'm a Christian- so some Christians might hate these allusions but I love them. The series Uses a plethora of religions- primarily biblical but lots of stuff from Islam and buhdism as well.
-Speaking of religion- I never really thought that Kevin can't die there- but man, matts right. I forgot or simply glossed over the earthquake saving his life when he tried to drown himself. Hell- just this episode he almost died from the dog guy and he apparently tries to kill him self some mornings and isn't even successful there. What a scene there- nice job Mr Theroux!
-last point- could Kevin be the antichrist? Like Matt was saying- most stuff In the Bible is 7 years. Specifically- Jesus returning after 7 years of the rapture. But the antichrist makes himself known at 3.5 years- which is when Kevin starts having those visions. And the antichrist deceives people into thinking he's the savior- much like many of his friends and family now think and others would if that book goes public. Interesting...

I'll end with this- even if none of this stuff gets explained- I'm fine with it. Damon Lindelof has been clear from the beginning we aren't going to get all the answers. And unlike westworld- where I'd be upset if things weren't explained. I'm fine with several things being unresolved on The Leftovers. Because this show is about grief, loss and life. And like all things grief, loss and life related- we can try to have faith. We can try to create answers in our head. We can try to reason. But at the end of the day- we never truly get the answers.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Cheers for the tip, I'll look to check this show out next. I Love staying up late binging through a new series :)

You'll be glad you did. I'll offer this only tidbit to watching the show. It's not about the how or why but the what. Meaning- the mystery of the sudden departure isn't important, and won't be answered. The value in the show is how we as people deal with grief, loss and life's purpose (or lack thereof).

In the brilliant words of Don Draper "But what is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness."

Look forward to hearing your thoughts- catch up so we can talk- only 2 seasons!

Reactions: amityboattours
Had no idea we had a thread on this, I was going to make one before the finale, but yea this is about to become my all time favorite tv show depending on how the next two episodes go, which I have no reason to think they will be anything other than fantastic. This season so far has been phenomenal and imo we are on a 10 streak, with the last 3 episodes including tonight's that I would classify as a 10.

Had no idea we had a thread on this, I was going to make one before the finale, but yea this is about to become my all time favorite tv show depending on how the next two episodes go, which I have no reason to think they will be anything other than fantastic. This season so far has been phenomenal and imo we are on a 10 streak, with the last 3 episodes including tonight's that I would classify as a 10.
Agreed. Every episode this season has been A-material.

Reactions: Andysol
I'm so invested in this show that I can't even watch Fargo until it's over because I cant see Carrie Coon in anything other than Noras role at the moment.

This might have been the heaviest episode so far...

I'm on needles to see what happens these next two episodes:

So "God"- the guy in the red hat- was the guy on the bridge in purgatory as well as at the karaoke bar who helped Kevin get back. That was during his "death" 3 years prior from his fall rock climbing. It's interesting the lion (likely) killed him, right before Kevin goes back- so we'll probably see him again if Kevin makes it to the other side. Additionally- he is going to see Laurie! And almost assuredly Meg. It's going to be emotional as hell.
My favorite part last night was Matt staying with Nora and her saying "OK". Got me pretty choked up to see his evolution (and hers). Although Laurie's reaction and face when she is interacting with Kevin was incredible.
I also loved the judas killing himself line and Laurie being surprised at that. Giant WTF moment that whole poisoning scene from the absolute weirdest (and best) show on TV.

Can I also just casually mention that I found it romantic that Laurie poisoned John, just so she could have some one on one time with Kevin. Their whole "marriage" seemed more about helping John and others. But she certainly loved Kevin- and made it clear when she was speaking about him while cooking saying he saved her and was a great husband. John, while also getting one on one time with Laurie, wasn't nearly as romantic as her and Kevin's. Capping it all off with her giving him the "Dont forget me" lighter as she left. Gut wrenching episode the more I think about it

Last edited:
Tonight's episode was wild

Whats new... the second the “Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves” music started (from international assassin) with the orchestra and BAAAAAAM from the brass- I just started cracking up. And the winks and nods throughout the whole thing were surreal
particularly the penile scanning- hilarious
. But leave it to the Leftovers to have me dying from laughter
after shooting Meg and saying "you tell me why, you're god"
to being heartbroken while Kevin says
we screwed it up with Nora.

Some quick tidbits:
-The opening scene was just like when the apostles were asleep and a torrential storm came. Then the apostles walked out to see Jesus walking on the water, who then calmed the storm. Except instead of Jesus walking on the water we got Kevin drowning on a seasaw- but at least the result was the same :D
-All the recent twin talk. Of course this episode we have twin kevins. But Nora's question she got asked before being denied "Would you kill one infant so its twin could cure cancer?". And how about "God's" explanation of Jesus- that he was still in the tomb while his twin brother was the one everyone saw "resurrected". Just coincidental, thats all.
-What the heck is going to happen with Nora? Does she cross over in the machine? I keep remembering episode 1 of this season with the Nora flash forward with the doves and throwing the notes away. Then she sees the nun who comments its a lot more doves closely together than normal and that "love must be in the air". Then asks about Kevin who she denies.

Sad that Sunday is the end of it all- it's been a joy to watch something so unique and original.

Last edited:
I'm 4 episodes in and loving this, will probably blitz the first 2 seasons this week in preparation for the 3rd season, which isn't aired in the UK until July 4th (though all episodes are being dumped at once on that date).

I'm 4 episodes in and loving this, will probably blitz the first 2 seasons this week in preparation for the 3rd season, which isn't aired in the UK until July 4th (though all episodes are being dumped at once on that date).

Awesome. Glad youre enjoying it- it's brilliant. Season 1 is more melancholy whereas season 2 is a little more lighthearted (still melancholy) and a little more supernatural.

Reactions: amityboattours
Yes. Ending was perfect. Lindelof and Peretta nailed it.
a release from suffering

1000% agree, perfect ending to a perfect season of the best tv show ever made. Only thing to be upset about is the idiots on twitter complaining they didn't get all the answers they wanted

Reactions: Andysol
1000% agree, perfect ending to a perfect season of the best tv show ever made. Only thing to be upset about is the idiots on twitter complaining they didn't get all the answers they wanted

If you're dumb enough to not listen to the show creators telling you that you aren't going to get the answers and it remain ambiguous, I have zero sympathy for you.

Crazy theory I just had- and I hate sharing it because it's stupid
regardin them maybe being in a purgatory type State- Kevin, laurie, and Nora are the only three we see in the episode. All three we never saw the resolution to their potential fate, and likewise, none of those three were privy to the outcome of each other's potential fate as well (Laurie drowning, Nora dying, Kevin dying via bombs/stabbing). Oddly enough they'd all technically "drown" :p

I'll end with my final thoughts

If I'm thinking logically, with the foreshadowing of Nora saying "I don't lie" and the entire scene with the nun sleeping and lying about it and then mention the doves saying it's a better story, etc. it's actually somewhat obvious Nira was lying to the one person (Kevin) who would believe it and it's all fine because "you're here".

But the brilliant part of all that? Hell- I'll believe her. Why? Because I want to. Even if I don't believe her, all is well that ends well.

Touching, heartbreaking, ahead of its time. But ultimately, the ending was a release from suffering. Not just for the characters, but for us. Suffering alongside these wounded characters we loved- and now we see they are free, so now we are as well.

Best show in years and dare I say, ever?

Small side note: just thinking about 2% of the population being in the same situation that Nora was... Jesus that's devastating.