Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Lion King (Live-Action)

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Walt Disney Studios and Jon Faverau will be collaborating once more as Jon is directing a reboot to the iconic film, "The Lion King".

No release date has been given, but they are fast tracking it to be released soon.

Personally, I expect to see them pull a 2009 (if I'm remembering right) Christmas Carol on us, but we'll see.

Thoughts on Disney's new move? Are you excited for a reboot of the film? Comment below!!

I think the Disney term is 'Live Action Re-imagination' lol

Would this even be a live-action reimagining? With entirely CGI animals and no humans, it's practically a CGI reimagining, except with really really good CG.

I still can't believe this is actually a thing that's happening. There are some Disney animated films that I think could translate well to "live action" and bring fresh ideas to the table (MULAN, for example, could make for a kick-ass action/adventure tale in live action), but THE LION KING is not one of these. It's perfectly told in the animated medium, and simply doing it in CGI is not enough of a creative reason to make it happen, in my opinion.

And it seems they intentionally made the statement "lions are black" by posting the casting info like this.

Which is just its own bizarre thing beyond remaking this film in the first place.

And it seems they intentionally made the statement "lions are black" by posting the casting info like this.

Which is just its own bizarre thing beyond remaking this film in the first place.

Well in majority of the stage productions I have witness of the lion king all the lions are black with the exception of Scar which was alwayas played by a male who appeared to be of caucasian descent.

James Earl Jones already played Mufassa in the original. How is "announcing his casting" making a statement?

I think this could be good if it's basically an adaptation of the Broadway version. If it's literally the animated movie but with CGI animals... meh.

I'm starting to get the impression with more thought, that perhaps we could look at it on a different level. There are a lot of films nowadays that aren't even fully live action; and that they use some sort of CGI, whether it's to touch it up or to add many things. Maybe we should use a different term to explain the upcoming reboot, as considering Jon Faverau's previous Disney film being a pioneering achievement in Computer Generated Imagery..maybe we should call it; in a coined term that I saw on Twitter, "Photorealistic".

Examples of this could be very well like as mentioned on the beginning of the thread, how Christmas Carol is like this. Hell, you can even say films like Tintin, The Polar Express, and most recently; The Jungle Book have done in the terms of realistic animations. With Faverau apart of the project; I expect it to be very similar in the terms of how Jungle Book is used in the making of the film, and the overall execution. I also wouldn't be surprised that the same team that has done TJB is going to be attached to TLK in terms of all the effects.

Perhap's that's my two cents, but that's something that I need to bring up.

Another thing..is that I wonder who will they cast as Scar. Could they go for a new, talented actor (like how Donald is); or could they go with the same one that took center stage with the role (like how James Earl is in that category), Jeremy Irons. Either way, I am very interested to see who they cast for Scar. Another thing, is if they bring additional songs into the mix from the Broadway version that was cut from the original movie..