1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle (IOA)

Discussion in 'Islands of Adventure' started by Joe, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2018
  2. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

3. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

If it's the same exact show as USH...meh. I think it pales pretty poorly in comparison to the holiday show

LJGonz likes this.
  4. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

It’s better than nothing from now until November.

Coasted likes this.
  5. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Does it have any pyro like the holiday show?

6. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

I'm a fan and I'm not a fan of these shows. They are well done, but short. And it makes Hogsmeade unbearable at night.

I'd much rather it be a longer, 20+ min. show once per night (or even twice). But that would require a significantly larger viewing area- i.e.- moving/reconstructing FotH. I also don't know if a single IP - even one as magnificent as HP- could support a show so long. I'd sure like to see them try though :)

So they are making the best out of what they have, but it isn't that enjoyable IMO.

shiekra38 likes this.
  7. Nick C.

Nick C. Staff Member Moderator

DHS does a ~12 minute Star Wars fireworks/projection show every night. I think Potter could do the same.

Anyway, this will be nice - I enjoyed the Holiday show. It would be nice if there was a main nighttime show over the lagoon too though, it would help keep Hogsmeade from becoming such a cluster.

8. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

Ya- but the fireworks w/ neighborhood makes complications, right?

And DHS, as much as a cluster F as it is- is still in significantly better shape for viewing that Hogsmeade is related to crowds.

9. JungleSkip

I'd rather have something better than "better than nothing". Cinespec was "better than nothing" and it wasn't worth seeing more than once.

Ashhanbre likes this.
  10. fryoj

fryoj Veteran Member

Theres a lot of good music in the series that would be recognizable to the fan base. And they have 16+ hours of film footage they could take scenes from. Make it a highlight of the whole series. Could easily get to 20 minutes that way. Not sure it would be a good show at that point though.

11. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

Yeah, I don't think anyone wants to stand waiting and then another 20 minutes of the show for film footage projected on the castle. This needs to become the Tree of Life Awakenings of IOA. Enjoyable, adds a lot to the atmosphere, but needs to happen enough that ultimately most people just see it while passing through.

Mad Dog likes this.
  12. Yabbadabba Doh

Yabbadabba Doh Rookie

The good thing is that it runs continuously after dusk so it will essentially be like the ToL Awakenings and Seasons on Sunset at DHS. I think it will be a nice addition, although I agree that the limited viewing area does create a logjam in certain sections of Hogsmeade.

13. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

I'm looking forward to the show during my upcoming May vacation at Portofino.Like UNIrd, I prefer it being a short show. Leave the long shows for the lagoons in either park..... The big plus is that now Universal is keeping IOA open until 10:00 PM on most May evenings. I've always wanted to spend more night hours in IOA, but, in the past, it's only been open evenings during peak times of year. The few minutes that I was able to spend in a dark IOA, the park looked absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to ride JPRA in the dark, explore a fog shrouded Camp Jurassic , spend more than a few minutes in a night lit Hogsmeade, and ride the outside portion of Kong in the dark. For me, this is a significant turning point for IOA during the non peak season. Thumbs up to Universal :thumbsup:.

JPRA513, Obi Ubamba and Disneyhead like this.
  14. GAcoaster

GAcoaster Veteran Member

True, but just remember most guests only get to see these things once.

fryoj likes this.
  15. JungleSkip

Sure, but if no guests are going around talking about how you just HAVE to stick around and see the nighttime show, it's not going to build a reputation and do its job. Now, I expect this to do that because it's Potter, but it's time Universal drops the half measures.

Nick C. and Joe like this.
  16. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Veteran Member

If you have never seen Trevor's stuff you should. He spent a lot of night time in the parks. Search: @orlandobrothas | Flickr
    Trevor Allen (@orlandobrothasT) | Twitter

17. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

Hopefully when the new ride opens we will see more viewing spots....I think the fact that this isn't something that only comes once a year may help...Plus there was a huge marketing push for the Christmas show

18. Kmac

Kmac Newcomer

Not sure how much confidence we put in the travel agents on the universal orlando site, but I happened to ask about the nighttime lights show during my HHN visit (Sept. 23-30) and she told me that "The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle will be going each night throughout the year".

Attached Files:

19. bob albert

bob albert Member

I would expect we see hours finally extended for a bunch of nights if this proves popular for the park.

20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

It's already happened for April after the holidays and most every night in May, except for Grad nights.