The Phoenix Project - Universal Backlot | Inside Universal Forums

The Phoenix Project - Universal Backlot

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I almost cried when I read this http://insideuniversal.net/2013/10/square-of-warriors-slated-for-demolition/

Funny thing is I was there last weekend and we went buy the Square of Warriors and they told us about Scorpion King and Princess Diaries 2 filming there. I was with a USH

"virgin" and he remembers it too. Does anyone know when they stopped trams going by there this week?
That's odd. We got the news on Friday, so your visit may have been the last day. I know I haven't been through the areas for months, so your group might have gotten lucky.

By the way, I just split this topic from the Studio Tour since it probably warrants its own thread. If we are to go by Trammer's post just a few months back, we could see a few more things changing:

Couple of things for you all (yes I am an insider):

1. Fast and Furious is closed because the current producers went on a tour did not want their brand associated with the animation and it will not be back.

2. The new 3d F&F will be begin construction this Fall on the site of the Mummy's Tomb which will be demolished to make way - new F&F to open Summer 2014.

3. Spartacus Square sets have been condemned as a hazard and will likely be demolished soon. Just too old and rotted to be saved.

4. Also on the demolition list of phase 2 Phoenix Project will be the six points sets and Denver Street, once again too old and rotted.

5. Look for the Plane crash to go to make way for another soundstage.

More to come.

Mamabaer, you're lucky your tram went through. I haven't been through that set in over a year or more :/

It's sad that it's going to be torn down, but it IS in absolutely horrible condition. It's a shame, considering how historic it is. I'd hope something great replaces it.

With what Trammer said regarding WotW getting replaced by a soundstage, I wonder if it will be a new animation, or will indeed be a new soundstage. It just seems kind of isolated and and random to plop a soundstage there, away from all the other soundstages.

Also, Jon, do you think Trammer meant summer 2015 and not 2014 as stated? (For a new F&F animation). Summer 2014 sounds really unrealistic (in California. I'm sure USF would've been able to pump something out that fast ;) )

2014 seems unrealistic not because of construction but from a strategic view point.

People will already be coming to the park to see Minion Mayhem and Super Silly Fun Land next year, delaying Fast and Furious 360 3D a year will give them something new to market in 2015 and people will come and pay a higher price in 2015 to see it than 2014.

If Fast and Furious 360 3D happens, my money is on 2015.

Reactions: Jon Fu
2014 sounds like 'early 2013' if anyone remembers the rumors surrounding Despicable Me's opening. It might have been a target date internally, but I think the feasibility of that actually occurring has long passed.

...and as Ryan already mentioned, they're already going to draw in crowds with Despicable Me. It's already been discussed before, but I think we're going to expect big changes to the tour ahead and 2015 looks to be the date.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it also helps solidify the whole "attraction per yer" promise if it does in fact open in 2015.

(I'd also rather it open in 2015 so they have enough time to design and test it without half assing it!)

My money is on 2015 as well. IF Springfield works out and does come to USH, I can't imagine that will be enough to really boost park attendance too much but a new studio tour stop (which is now needed more than ever) could help more than people would think.

My money is on 2015 as well. IF Springfield works out and does come to USH, I can't imagine that will be enough to really boost park attendance too much but a new studio tour stop (which is now needed more than ever) could help more than people would think.
It won't boost attendance, but it will boost their profits. The locals will love it and would be a runaway hit when Potter opens.

By the time I left, they still wanted Springfield to open up in summer 2014 along with Minion Mayhem, SSFL and the new tour entrance for a grand slam season compared to the lackluster 2013. It's a very easy six-to-seven month do-over/build... if they can get it greenlit by January, of course. The crowds would come, and having missed Universal Plaza last time (unless they came labor day weekend), the upper lot will looked utterly transformed. 

As for F&F... uh yeah 2015. Trammer may have meant holiday 2014, as I heard that once.

The cogs can't start turning until Matt Groening allows them to, and it's clearly been a bit of a pain. Springfield in USF is still getting additions as we speak, and I don't think they've even been allowed to update the park map yet.

As for Simpsons Plaza's future, it looks like we'll be seeing an entirely different layout. Doc Brown's and Cinnabon will have to go in order to prevent bottlenecking in the Studio Tour's entrance, and at this point, I don't see the Cantina staying much longer either. Other than a possible retheme of Louie's, wouldn't it make sense if there were all new structures built to accomodate the rest of the Upper Lot's changes?

Reactions: Jon Fu
I guess whatever they do with Springfield will end up being very tight in space. With the Star Way and SES on one side, and with the new Tour Entrance and Wizarding World on the other side, it's hard to imagine all new dining right in the middle of all that. I'll be visiting the park tomorrow, so maybe ill have a better sense of visualizing where it might go, as Springfield hasn't really been a priority on my mind ;)

Mamabaer, you're lucky your tram went through. I haven't been through that set in over a year or more :/

It's sad that it's going to be torn down, but it IS in absolutely horrible condition. It's a shame, considering how historic it is. I'd hope something great replaces it.

With what Trammer said regarding WotW getting replaced by a soundstage, I wonder if it will be a new animation, or will indeed be a new soundstage. It just seems kind of isolated and and random to plop a soundstage there, away from all the other soundstages.

Also, Jon, do you think Trammer meant summer 2015 and not 2014 as stated? (For a new F&F animation). Summer 2014 sounds really unrealistic (in California. I'm sure USF would've been able to pump something out that fast ;) )
We were there Saturday the 12th. Fast and Furious still closed. I agree it's an odd place to drop a soundstage unless it's something for the tour (like FnF 3D).

On another note, I was at the Florida Springfield the Friday before Labor Day...pretty cool although it wasn't all on the map or listed as coming this fall

We were there Saturday the 12th. Fast and Furious still closed. I agree it's an odd place to drop a soundstage unless it's something for the tour (like FnF 3D).

On another note, I was at the Florida Springfield the Friday before Labor Day...pretty cool although it wasn't all on the map or listed as coming this fall
Yeah, the USF map still hasn't been updated. It took a pretty long time for Groening to approve the actual art for Springfield on the map, and now they're facing legal issues in regards to the proposed name for what's left of World Expo.

I wonder what the heck they'll call the remainder of World Expo. It's basically just MIB....

(I'd personally want that area to be called something like "Agent HQ" or something having to do with Agents. In the expansion pad next to MIB, I'd add a James Bond attraction of some sort. It would be a little corner dedicated to Sony's two "agent" properties, 007 and MIB)

As for Groening approving what the map looks like, I don't doubt it, but it sounds stupid. The map is of the park is supposed to look like what's actually there for guests. Wonder why they need his approval