The Problem With Apu (Documentary, 2017) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

The Problem With Apu (Documentary, 2017)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
When Odyssey was coming out, some people got up in arms about Mario wearing a mariachi outfit. Nintendo essentially responded to this by not caring or acknowledging it. Everyone moved on. I'd expect the same to happen if/when this ever rolls around.

I think the difference here is that the fans in Mexico were up in arms about political correctness ruining the things they like.
there was a lot of latino fans in support of the Mariachi outfit. I think that helped. on twitter that Mario had support.

there was a similar controversy with Speedy Gonzales:

"Feeling that the character presented an offensive Mexican stereotype, Cartoon Network shelved Speedy's films when it gained exclusive rights to broadcast them in 1999. In an interview with Fox News in 2002, Laurie Goldberg commented, "It hasn't been on the air for years because of its ethnic stereotypes."

Despite such controversy over potentially offensive characterizations, Speedy Gonzales remained a popular character in Latin America. The Hispanic-American rights organization League of United Latin American Citizens called Speedy a cultural Icon, and thousands of users registered their support of the character on the hispaniconline.com message boards. Fan campaigns to put Speedy back on the air resulted in the return of the animated shorts to cartoon network in 2002
."

Apu doesnt have that community back up. Apu has Simpsons fans backing him up and showing support for him, but it is different.

it is funny because people in South America are freaking out over the Apu controversy. the twitter of the guy that made the documentary The Problem With Apu has so many angry replies in spanish. he might not understand what they say ,but i do lol.

theres a loooot of anger and a lot of cursing. a bunch of long time latino fans are really furious over this. Simpsons is very huge in south america.