Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed)

So I'm gonna put my thoughts in on this subject.
I think the problem with The Walking Dead is it opened when the whole Walking Dead craze was over.
Nobody cared anymore and we're getting tired of the repetition of the story.
I'll say that we definitely still need a year-round haunted attraction (if done properly, throughput is pretty decent) but they should go in another direction.
We've seen time and time again that the music-based dubstep mazes bring in the numbers. UCM was definitely the hit of HHN this year. So why not make a year-round Monsters maze but more geared towards the general public and more of a 'party' sort of vibe going on like with UCM:Resurrection? Cool thing is with UCM Universal owns the rights. They can establish that dark universe that was talked about years ago and do really whatever they want. Maybe each year they just switch it up and add a "guest" monster and change a room or two. But I guess thats just me being optimistic .

So I'm gonna put my thoughts in on this subject.
I think the problem with The Walking Dead is it opened when the whole Walking Dead craze was over.
Nobody cared anymore and we're getting tired of the repetition of the story.
I'll say that we definitely still need a year-round haunted attraction (if done properly, throughput is pretty decent) but they should go in another direction.
We've seen time and time again that the music-based dubstep mazes bring in the numbers. UCM was definitely the hit of HHN this year. So why not make a year-round Monsters maze but more geared towards the general public and more of a 'party' sort of vibe going on like with UCM:Resurrection? Cool thing is with UCM Universal owns the rights. They can establish that dark universe that was talked about years ago and do really whatever they want. Maybe each year they just switch it up and add a "guest" monster and change a room or two. But I guess thats just me being optimistic .
TWDA was kind of a dud when it opened, but not because the hype died off. This opened during the time when people were still trying to speculate like crazy who Negan killed between seasons so the hype was still going on for the show. This was a dud because it's just way too out-of-place for the family audience they're going for. The fact that the show has tanked doesn't help that.

Fun fact: It's the lowest-rated attraction in the park. GSATs range from "not scary at all" to "it's way too scary and too gory." When House of Horrors closed, it was the lowest-rated attraction of the park. You guys remember Skull Kingdom in Florida? That didn't last terribly long either.

I know it's an unpopular opinion on this side of the boards, but keeping this open makes no business sense. Even on the most crowded days the biggest line it gets is 30 minutes, max. It's not cheap to run. Those scareactors are apart of AGVA, the actors union. They're paid at least $16 an hour.

TWDA has fulfilled its purpose to fill those Potter crowds. Now there's not point of this existing. They should dump it and not attempt another year-round haunt again. I don't mind it as a quick "filler" attraction if I have some time to kill, but it's either too lame for us haunt junkies or too intense for the GP. It's a no-win attraction. Really surprised it's still here.

Skull Kingdom seems to have closed more due to insufficient budgeting, poor location where the entrance was difficult to find, and later being bought out by a foreign investor who didn't even know what Halloween was, let alone try to run a haunt:

I do see your points. I selfishly would love to see a year round haunt, and TWD, love it or hate it, is a unique one of a kind attraction, even more so in a major theme park. But I totally agree with you for the typical GP, it does fall either into the "too scary" (especially for little kids--but I see LOTS of people come out of there absolutely terrified) or not scary enough. I can totally see how it'd be the lowest rated attraction. And as you mention, probably relatively expensive to operate... live actors aren't cheap.

I won't be surprised if it goes. At the same time, I can't see them closing it until there's something to replace it... and I think that's the bigger question: what can you put in there? I know some have mentioned making it an event space, but is it really big enough for that? It's unclear to me how much space really is in there. And there's already more than enough retail in the area. So what's left to do with it?

Yeah I still stand by my idea of just making a new maze or walkthrough attraction.
It dosen't have to be scary but maybe something fun or interactive. Maybe even some sort of Universal museum concept but interactive.
But, I could also see them gutting this space and having it be a "general purpose" area or even just building the HHN mazes in there and opening them seasonally during peak seasons until Horror Nights. Sort of how Knotts builds some of thier mazes and they just sit until they are needed.

Please, no more retail or resteraunts.
We need more attractions, even if its something short or just a little bit of a time eater.
I honestly think the UCM was partly done as a test to see if interest in original classic monsters could be re-invigorated.
Did anyone take a survey at HHN last year? I remember seeing questions asking if any of the houses come back, which would you prefer
and a lot of questions asking what your awareness of the IPs were, and I think there was even one asking about these monsters appearing in daytime ops.
I just firggin' loved UCM.

But letting go of my love for UCM for a minute, there isn't a whole lot more they could put in this space?
I think Uni knows that they desperaly need to boost thier attraction count. I know there are rumors of SLOP taking extra queue space as well in that venue.
But do they really NEED it? If SLOP uses a Omnimover type of system, they can push a little more throughput and build a smaller queue. I think Globe theatrer's footprint could
comfortably house a 2 - 3 minute dark ride with some decent queue space. More comfortably if its slightly outside. We shall see what the plans entail.

Honestly, if not for pets; adding a proper table-service venue to the park may be very helpful. Especially considering proximity of where that is, that may prove as something that may be plentiful for Universal. Even if it'd be a potential Illuminations theme, it would add an area for families to get out of the sun, and have a nice meal with their party.